The worst Villa games in history

MadridVilla

With all this optimism around the club at the moment, it got me thinking...

What are some of the worst Villa games you can remember? Games that left you feeling full of frustration, desperate, or just completely numb.

Some recent ones I can think of to start off:

Bolton away 17/18 - a horribly cold day that put the nail in pushing for automatic promotion, having just beaten Wolves the week before.

Southampton away 14/15 - completely crumbling to a 6-1 defeat with that Mane hat-trick in 3 minutes.

Stoke home 08/09 - conceding two late goals and drawing the game, effectively killed our chances of top 4

Anyone got any others that stand out?

• Like 2

Bloody hell there are loads. Probably a few dozen I’ve just blanked from my mind.

Out on away goals to Trabzonspor home 1994.

FA cup final 2000.

Losing to Man Utd 3-2 having been 2-0 in the FA cup, about 2002, I think.

The small Heath derbies that didn’t go our way.

Chelsea 8-0 probably has to be included although I didn’t watch it.

I remember feeling really down losing to Brentford 3-0. We’d just made a few signings and there was a positive feeling like the 2nd half of the season would come together. Bloody hell that game put paid to that. I remember thinking “Huh, this is what football is gonna be like now, isn’t it?”.

Losing to QPR after hammering Wolves a couple of days before was a kick in the teeth.

If I had known the extent of the abyss the club was facing following the play off final v Fulham at the time, I’d include that. But that came as a fall out of just a no show of a performance.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

Bradford x 2

The 0-3 at home to Wigan

The 2-0 (?) away to Spurs where McLeish started about 8 defenders

Going back a bit further, there's (dis)honourable mentions for the 3-2 Cup defeat to Man Utd, the FA Cup semi against Liverpool at Old Trafford, the UEFA cup exists to Trabzonspor and Helsingborgs...

If I really thought about it, Id be here all week 

FA Cup final v Chelsea in 2000

3-2 loss to Man Utd after leading 2-0. I forget the year, maybe 2003? I watched the game with a Utd fan and a SHA fan. Painful memory. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Bradford semi final at Villa Park under Lambert.

Absolutely horrendous match.

This is my choice too. I've never been so furious after a match, before or since. The 8-0 to Chelsea and then the 3-0 home defeat to Wigan a week later that same season are also up there. There were some absolute stinkers that year, although it's funny in a way because overall I think basically every season that followed that one up until 2017/18 was worse than 2012/13.

Almost forgot: that 3-2 defeat to Leicester in 15/16. Just absolutely shameful.

Edited by Mantis

Bradford both legs. I have never been as embarrassed in my life in watching Villa. I still have no idea what formation we had in the last half hour. Deservdly lost to a fourth division side over 2 legs to avoid played Swansea in the final.

Losing 5-2 to Bolton in the first semi final leg. Had we won we would have played Middlesbrough in the final

Losing to Watford at home under Garde which made us going down near certainties

6-0 defeat to Liverpool which was the final nail in the coffin for our relegation

Both FA Cup final defeats and not a single goal

Fulham play off final defeat and the realisation that Dr Tony was a fraud and we were staring financial meltdown in its face.

Losing midweek to Barnsley under Bruce when we were lower mid table in the championship with about 27,000 in attendance- Is this what we have become?

1-1 draw at Wycombe in the FA Cup under Garde. Players messing about, complete loss of support from the fans. Awful atmosphere. Lucky to draw.

The 3-2 lose at home v Spurs in our first season back. We actually played well but blew it. Convinced we were going straight back down after that.

Numerous away games at the end of Lambert's second season when the atmosphere was toxic and he was on his way out- Leicester, Swansea, Palace.

More of a personal note losing to Liverpool in 2009 (i think) boxing day. It was -2 at pitchside and I was woefully underdressed. Dunne felll on his arse and torres scored in the last minute.

I am going to stop now as I feel a bit depressed.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Most embarrassing was the FA Cup Final 2015. Completely overwhelmed by Arsenal from the off.

Most depressing was the playoff final 2018. Watching time melt away and our Premier League chances with it. Thought we were in for a long rebuild after that loss.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

What are some of the worst Villa games you can remember? Games that left you feeling full of frustration, desperate, or just completely numb.

Basically game the season we went down. 

(Bruce has lots of faults and I don’t want to derail this thread but I do think he stabilised the culture of a club that just expected to lose every game after that awful couple of years).

Â