The worst Villa games in history

MadridVilla

0-6 v Liverpool. Most games that season obviously were horrendous but ive never seen a side tank infront of my own eyes like that.

0-3 v SHA. I was 15, Enckleman happened, I puched a hole in my dads wall. He said “Its only a game what are you doing” 😡😡

0-3 v Doncaster Rovers in the league cup. Truly embarrassing 

• Sad 1

From a being there point of view Bolton 1 Villa 0 under Bruce in the snow was a bad one, just a horrible day weather wise and game/performance was awful

I think Bradford away result wise takes some beating outside of that

26 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Another game that springs to mind is when we lost at home to QPR, can't remember if it was 3-1 or 3-0, but Trevor Francis scored a brilliant hat trick for them.  He was player manager at the time and must have arranged for himself to be substituted and went over to the Witton Lane stand so that he had to walk the entire width of the pitch to get off, at snails pace, whilst applauding the QPR fans.  Think there was only 14,000ish fans in the ground that day - felt like I'd got the Holte End to myself.

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah I was there for that - wanted to get on the pitch and kick his adenoidal face off the field. Diving word removed.

Yeah I remember that one, the one thing I can take from that resut is that I think our form had a major upturn after that result which saw us near the top of the league after a slow start. Sadly we couldn't sustain that run and ran out of steam before finishing second to those cheating scousers.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Bradford semi final at Villa Park under Lambert.

Absolutely horrendous match.

I was in the official coaches. All the way back to the motorway locals were coming out and jeering us and generally taking the piss.  The utter humiliation.........Bradford.  They were league 2.  What an utter horror show.  Would get my vote.

Another awful away day I had was away to Wigan in 2019.  A 3 nil defeat just came from nowhere, they were on a dreadful run of form (were they actually relegated?).   We're talking about a Dean Smith team here containing John McGinn with Tammy Abraham up front!     It was just so depressing but probably not as bad as Bradford.

Edited by sidcow

That 6-1 against Man City at Villa Park season before last was pretty brutal. I’ve actually erased the name of our Norwegian goalie from my memory, but whatever he was called, he let everything in. Drinkwater was terrible. Whole thing was a shambles, looked like we were going down.

1 hour ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Hard to read this thread without becoming depressed! We've had so many stinkers! 

I'm going with the 3-0 loss to blues first time we played them in the prem, Enkelman having that lapse of concentration. 

I'd had a few too many and wanted to burn my shirt in the back garden, the Mrs sent me to bed.

That one used to be painful, but the fact that Blues fans still celebrate "Enckleman Day" even now is just amusing. They peaked that day and it's hilarious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Those consecutive  3 games under Lambert where we lost a combined 15 - 0.

How he kept his job after that was mind blowing. 

And then he lost to Milwall and Bradford. Granted we went on a decent run after that but any club with a slightest bit of ambition would have sacked him off there and then.

We then had the best part of two mind numbering years after that with him. Done nothing since to suggest that his time at Norwich was not somewhat of a fluke.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

With all this optimism around the club at the moment, it got me thinking...

What are some of the worst Villa games you can remember? Games that left you feeling full of frustration, desperate, or just completely numb.

Some recent ones I can think of to start off:

Bolton away 17/18 - a horribly cold day that put the nail in pushing for automatic promotion, having just beaten Wolves the week before.

Southampton away 14/15 - completely crumbling to a 6-1 defeat with that Mane hat-trick in 3 minutes.

Stoke home 08/09 - conceding two late goals and drawing the game, effectively killed our chances of top 4

Anyone got any others that stand out?

That Stoke game having been 2-0 up and how important that single result I believe turned out to be. We threw away Europe to save the team for that. If we had won the Stoke game we would have had that belief, we would have been 8 points clear of Arsenal on 54 points after 27 games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Still fuming about the Vidic non-red card in the Carling Cup final 2010. Blatant and undeniable bias from Dowd.

Everyone going up thought we would win but given our record with yewunited I thought we would lose. 

The Vidic pen a bit of a sliding doors moment. Had he actually got sent off we could have won that and could have given us the confidence to get a top 4 place.

I actually felt worse when we lost to Chavski a few weeks later at Wembley in the FA Cup semi final. That was the dawning realisation that despite our best efforts that side under MON was never actually going to break into the elite teams. And then the slow decline started until now.

• Like 2

Southampton away last season with Elghazi lying on the floor and the Villa on Tour lads getting attacked by our own fans was pretty diobolical. 

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

those are some great examples. was that bolton game during the beast from the east, in the snow? that game shouldn't have gone ahead. we barely made it home, the discussion of sleeping in the car on the side of the A34 was genuinely considered. awful day

saw us get stuffed at chelsea at least twice...7-0 and 8-0 i think?

more recently southampton away first season back in the prem...convinced we were going down after losing 3-0

that stoke game will always stick out. we would've finished in the top 4, i'm positive of that

Yep, the Bolton game was during the beast from the East. It was a dreadful game but the snow really put the cherry on top of an awful day 😂

I remember losing to Chelsea 7-1 under O'Neill, but to be honest the away fans were brilliant and just saw the funny side of it all, so I've never had too many painful memories from that day. The 8-0 on the other hand was utterly humiliating, especially as they missed a penalty to make it 9-0

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joshharris12 said:

Blues at home 2-2 stern John last min horrendous 

That ball went out over on the left wing, disgusting from the linesman.

Edit, getting confused. There was a blues goal where the bal definitely left the pitch over on the left before being whipped into the box, but it wasn’t that Stern John goal.

Edited by a m ole

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was in the official coaches. All the way back to the motorway locals were coming out and jeering us and generally taking the piss.  The utter humiliation.........Bradford.  They were league 2.  What an utter horror show.  Would get my vote.

Another awful away day I had was away to Wigan in 2019.  A 3 nil defeat just came from nowhere, they were on a dreadful run of form (were they actually relegated?).   We're talking about a Dean Smith team here containing John McGinn with Tammy Abraham up front!     It was just so depressing but probably not as bad as Bradford.

I'd forgotten about that Wigan game, I was so confident we'd turn up and get our season back on track that day, only to be completely outplayed. I remember Kortney Hause coming on for his debut and looking like he'd never kicked a football in his life. Without question the worst debut I've ever seen, with Drinkwater vs City probably second. At least Kortney has improved massively since then!

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was in the Holte End for the Bradford game. **** grim. Horrible weather as well and it wasn't even like we struggled against a resolute defence. They were better than us. Pathetic.

Another one - Blackpool at home under Houllier. I distinctly remember Blackpool being parked in our half and we simply had no answer to it, we couldn't get the ball into their half for long periods of the match. It was appalling. It was like what you'd expect from a Champions League team battering some minnow from a minor league. But it was Blackpool. At Villa Park. Awful.

55 minutes ago, mole86 said:

Seen a lot of mention of the 8-0 at Chelsea. The 7-1 against them in the O’Neill years was more demoralising for me as it just confirmed how far away we were from really challenging.

I went to that...but only because a mate had said "can you get me a ticket for that game please" - so I did - 50 quid. Then he said he didn't want it, so I ended up going just so as not to waste the ticket.

Then on the Sunday the club phoned me up and asked who was the person who had started the O'Neill resigning thread, which I think had come from twitter, IIRC. I think the conversation went something along the lines of "it's all over the papers" -  "well don't blame for VT that - if it's not true phone the papers up, not me".  Bizarre weekend.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Typical Villa fans, we are a pessimistic, downbeat and negative bunch aren’t we? 🤣

Rather create and comment on this thread than a “best games in Villa history”.

🤣

Group therapy perhaps?

As my dad used to say to me, the lows only make the highs even higher. 

• Like 1

Â