The worst Villa games in history

MadridVilla

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Typical Villa fans, we are a pessimistic, downbeat and negative bunch aren’t we? 🤣

Rather create and comment on this thread than a “best games in Villa history”.

🤣

It's all part of the rich tapestry of life.  Nothing wrong with remeniscing about the bad times. 

• Like 3

Just now, sidcow said:

It's all part of the rich tapestry of life.  Nothing wrong with remeniscing about the bad times. 

Not at all, just having a laugh but we are a bit miserable aren’t we? 😆

1 minute ago, MadridVilla said:

Group therapy perhaps?

As my dad used to say to me, the lows only make the highs even higher. 

Clever GIF by memecandy

That certainly applies to us right now… we suffered long enough.

7 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

Yep, the Bolton game was during the beast from the East. It was a dreadful game but the snow really put the cherry on top of an awful day 😂

View from my seat. Baltic.Library - 3349 of 3893.jpeg

• Like 2

Back in the Championship under Steve Bruce when we lost 0 - 1 to Ipswich  (I cannot stand Ipswich), awful gamesmanship/anti-football by Ipswich

Ipswich beating us 1 - 2 back in the 1980/81 season (the night of Sir Ron's famous statement after the game made me feel better!)

Losing at my first ever time visit at Wembley V Spuds at the 1971 LCF. Villa (from the 3rd div) all over Spuds for 75 mins and got beat by 2 late goals (I was 13 at the time)

Most recent, Villa beating Liverpoo 1 - 0 with mins left on the clock, liverpoo pulled it back to 1 - 1, the ref played until they score time and allowed Liverpoo to score their second.....my 2 hour journey home to the depths of Suffolk was spent listening to classic FM to calm me down !

Spuds game first season in the Premier League as well, as mentioned above, - threw it away in the last min

I am sure there are lots of other games...but I try and blank these out and focus on the great games !

All the best

Del

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Back in the Championship under Steve Bruce when we lost 0 - 1 to Ipswich  (I cannot stand Ipswich), awful gamesmanship/anti-football by Ipswich

Ipswich beating us 1 - 2 back in the 1980/81 season (the night of Sir Ron's famous statement after the game made me feel better!)

Losing at my first ever time visit at Wembley V Spuds at the 1971 LCF. Villa (from the 3rd div) all over Spuds for 75 mins and got beat by 2 late goals (I was 13 at the time)

Most recent, Villa beating Liverpoo 1 - 0 with mins left on the clock, liverpoo pulled it back to 1 - 1, the ref played until they score time and allowed Liverpoo to score their second.....my 2 hour journey home to the depths of Suffolk was spent listening to classic FM to calm me down !

Spuds game first season in the Premier League as well, as mentioned above, - threw it away in the last min

I am sure there are lots of other games...but I try and blank these out and focus on the great games !

All the best

Del

Blimey- 2 hours from Villa Park to Suffolk!

It takes me the best part of 2 hours to get back to the not very deepest depths of Worcestershire!

• Haha 1

Just now, MadridVilla said:

Just the sight of a snowy Macron stadium sends shivers down my spine. I feel cold just looking at it

Which reminds me- no one's mentioned ice station Boundary park and Oldham yet

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

View from my seat. Baltic.Library - 3349 of 3893.jpeg

was really odd though, bright and sunny when we got into the pub a few hours prior to kick off. then out of nowhere about 3 inches of snow appeared

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

Just the sight of a snowy Macron stadium sends shivers down my spine. I feel cold just looking at it

And yet I went up there near the end of our promotion season and it was absolutely red hot.  Melting tarmac etc

Edited by sidcow

That 2-2 draw against Stoke in 09 and Whelan equalising in the last minute despite being 2-0 at half time. Threw our realistic Champions League push in the gutter. The capitulation was so disgusting. Especially after the CSKA debacle. A double slap in the face. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mole86 said:

Seen a lot of mention of the 8-0 at Chelsea. The 7-1 against them in the O’Neill years was more demoralising for me as it just confirmed how far away we were from really challenging.

I was at the 7-1 and left at 5-1. Thing is at the time I and I think many others on here sort of brushed it off as a freak result. Only later on did it become a signpost for where we were heading.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I was in the Holte End for the Bradford game. **** grim. Horrible weather as well and it wasn't even like we struggled against a resolute defence. They were better than us. Pathetic.

Another one - Blackpool at home under Houllier. I distinctly remember Blackpool being parked in our half and we simply had no answer to it, we couldn't get the ball into their half for long periods of the match. It was appalling. It was like what you'd expect from a Champions League team battering some minnow from a minor league. But it was Blackpool. At Villa Park. Awful.

We still won though tbf. Was a bit of a weird match because IIRC they basically played their second-string side and we only just scraped a 3-2 win.

• Like 1

The Liverpool 6 - 1 was it and the 3-2 loss at home to Watford the same season stand out.

Drawing 0-0 at home to Charlton in a midweek game under O'Leary with the cart horse Cole up top was up there. One loan Hitz 35 yarder into the stands was the sum of the action.

Villa 1 Peterborough 3 under Bruce at home aswell.

Probably the lowest attendance I have ever seen. It's the cup, no matter where we've been as a club I always get excited for first FA cup game, especially at home. A cup run, I love it, I don't care about the distractions.

Anyway this game about summed up the state of the club at the time, we were just existing. Badly. It wasn't even a bad side we put out, fresh players, bit of youth, bit of experience there was just zero desire to actually progress in the cup despite the sizeable squad we had.

Sod off Bruce.

That's probably the angriest I've been walking home from a game.

59 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Villa 1 Peterborough 3 under Bruce at home aswell.

Probably the lowest attendance I have ever seen. It's the cup, no matter where we've been as a club I always get excited for first FA cup game, especially at home. A cup run, I love it, I don't care about the distractions.

Anyway this game about summed up the state of the club at the time, we were just existing. Badly. It wasn't even a bad side we put out, fresh players, bit of youth, bit of experience there was just zero desire to actually progress in the cup despite the sizeable squad we had.

Sod off Bruce.

That's probably the angriest I've been walking home from a game.

That was O'Hare last chance to impress and he blew it tbh.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Which reminds me- no one's mentioned ice station Boundary park and Oldham yet

Haha I wagged the afternoon off school for that 6th Round FA Cup tie 1990!  "You can stick the plastic up your arse!"

Gutted!

Edited by S-Platt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Remember that 3-0 home loss to Wigan in about 2012/13ish? Gawd that was a miserable one, and it was freezing .

No not really but I always remember the Rodallega screamer when they beat us in the opening day in 2009. I thought we would go on to have a terrible year- but we got 65th points and 2 trips to Wembley.

Â