The worst Villa games in history

MadridVilla

Nearly all of 2015/16, the Lambert years were tough too

In terms of expectation then the Arsenal FA Cup final was a stinker. 2000 was also shit. Both games never turned up. At least our last 2 League Cup finals we made a game of it 

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

I was in the Holte End for the Bradford game. **** grim. Horrible weather as well and it wasn't even like we struggled against a resolute defence. They were better than us. Pathetic.

Another one - Blackpool at home under Houllier. I distinctly remember Blackpool being parked in our half and we simply had no answer to it, we couldn't get the ball into their half for long periods of the match. It was appalling. It was like what you'd expect from a Champions League team battering some minnow from a minor league. But it was Blackpool. At Villa Park. Awful.

Blackpool got fined as well for playing a reserve team that day 😂

7 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Remember that 3-0 home loss to Wigan in about 2012/13ish? Gawd that was a miserable one, and it was freezing .

The Christmas from hell, 0-15 in 3 games 

Smith gets pelters for a lot less

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Luton 3-1 a few years back was a real low point. The defending was just atrocious. I looked back at the highlights there a year or two ago and all you can do is laugh.

The 8-0 against Chelsea. Watched it in my brother’s house. Was embarrassed when his young lad (not a Villa fan) actually starting taking pity on me after the fifth went in.

Glen Whelan scoring that screamer against us to make it 2-2. I remember the MOTD commentator actually said “It’s looking like Villa could cement fourth place today” after we went 2-0 up.

The 4-0 against Arsenal in the cup final. I started drinking a bit early and had four pints by half time. Maybe six by full time. Didn’t stop until I was kicked out of the pub at 2am. I still remember the hangover the next morning. The pain of it.

Twenty years ago we lost a cup tie against United after we went 2-0 up. Van Nistlerooy did the damage, think Roy Carroll scored an own goal for them. Fernando Macheda aged about 14 did similar to us a couple of years later, never to be heard of again.

26 minutes ago, Enda said:

Twenty years ago we lost a cup tie against United after we went 2-0 up. Van Nistlerooy did the damage, think Roy Carroll scored an own goal for them. 

Remember this one, and going into school the next day being taunted by the plastic United fans who normally never mentioned anything about football

WBA loss at home under Sherringham, looked like 11 complete strangers who had never seen a football were bundled into some villa shirts 2 mins before kick off and shoved out onto the pitch. 

(all the really stand out horrendous games have been mentioned but this was awful as well, like really awful)

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

The Christmas from hell, 0-15 in 3 games 

Smith gets pelters for a lot less

That’s the one. Just had a look and it was after the 8-0 vs Chelsea… I’d sort of blocked that out of my memory I think!

Wigan away in the championship. Was an awful day, in winter, awful journey, lost 3:0 and completely played off the park. 

Genuinely thought we would be irrelevant for many seasons after thst game. Was so dejected after, 

Edited by pas5898
Typo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Wigan away in the championship. Was an awful day, in winter, awful journey, lost 3:0 and completely played off the park. 

Genuinely though we would be irrelevant for many seasons after thst game. Was so dejected after, 

That day while low was probably the turning point, pretty sure Mings came in that week and rest is history

• Like 1

Ted Drake scoring all for Arsenal in a 7 - 0 battering at Villa park.  I wasn't there, but I remember It still being talked about when I was a kid..

Our first game in Europe under Saunders. We got played off the park in a 4 - 1 defeat to Royal Antwerp.

Getting battered by Coventry City, 3 - 0 on a boxing day. And to add insult to injury, that gimp, Mick Quinn scored a hat - trick.

4 hours ago, Enda said:

Twenty years ago we lost a cup tie against United after we went 2-0 up. Van Nistlerooy did the damage, think Roy Carroll scored an own goal for them. 

2-0 up with about 10 minutes to go. I still get flashbacks when we play that lot.

• Like 1

Losing 5-0 away to Blackburn, who were - to be fair - a great team that season.

Two memories of that day:

1. Savo spitting at us and missing !

2. Brian Little standing there motionless as we sang "wtf is going on ?!?"

Growing up.

2000 cup final obviously although I felt going into that Chelsea would have too much when you remember likes of Desailly, Deschamps, Zola and George Weah all started for them that day. Just playing for a 0-0 was poor though as Gregory has admitted since.

Being 2 up and losing 3-2 to Man. United in that FA cup game in 2002 with all their fans running onto the pitch after the goals was one of the worst I've felt. Played a part in the massive inferiority complex we have playing Man. United at VP to this day.

2002/03 and the two SHA games.

Think those all chipped away and meant we went from a solid top 6 club in the 90s to just floating around 8-10th and not being a big club anymore with ambition.

Might not have been the poorest we played but signficant defeats there.

Then under Lerner the 2010 cup final defeat sparked the downward slide and Bradford was just total humiliation even if we did actually win the second leg. Still hard to believe a premier league side lost to a league 2 one over two actual legs, would've been more acceptable if it had been a one off game as those things happen to every side.

So many bad ones to choose from in Lambert period you lose track and then the Arsenal cup final and 15/16 followed.

The correct answer though is Norwich 1 Aston Villa 0 in December 2016.

Don't think he posts anymore on here but I remember @Woodytom  in the post match thread adament that was the worst game he'd ever seen us play and think he'd been watching us for a fair old while so that's a random one to throw into the mix.

Edit: Forgot to mention the play off defeat to Fulham. Felt terrible after that, more due to expecting financial meltdown and us having to sell everyone who could still run so we'd be stuck in lower leagues for over a decade. And well that was probably only a week or two from actually happening.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Â