The worst Villa games in history

MadridVilla

6-0 away to Newcastle. We'd been spoiled for a few years by being quite good and this was a sign of things to come over the next decade. It had been a while since we'd had such a bad result so I vividly remember how upset it made me at the time.

• Like 2

That 2-0 defeat away to Spurs under McLeish has to be up there. Absolute crime against football. Played Hutton and Cuellar on the right to stop Bale and Heskey on the left to stop *checks notes* Aaron Lennon? Spurs could have scored 10 if they wanted to, it was almost like they pitied us and stopped at 2.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bradford both legs. I have never been as embarrassed in my life in watching Villa. I still have no idea what formation we had in the last half hour. Deservdly lost to a fourth division side over 2 legs to avoid played Swansea in the final.

Losing 5-2 to Bolton in the first semi final leg. Had we won we would have played Middlesbrough in the final

Losing to Watford at home under Garde which made us going down near certainties

6-0 defeat to Liverpool which was the final nail in the coffin for our relegation

Both FA Cup final defeats and not a single goal

Fulham play off final defeat and the realisation that Dr Tony was a fraud and we were staring financial meltdown in its face.

Losing midweek to Barnsley under Bruce when we were lower mid table in the championship with about 27,000 in attendance- Is this what we have become?

1-1 draw at Wycombe in the FA Cup under Garde. Players messing about, complete loss of support from the fans. Awful atmosphere. Lucky to draw.

The 3-2 lose at home v Spurs in our first season back. We actually played well but blew it. Convinced we were going straight back down after that.

Numerous away games at the end of Lambert's second season when the atmosphere was toxic and he was on his way out- Leicester, Swansea, Palace.

More of a personal note losing to Liverpool in 2009 (i think) boxing day. It was -2 at pitchside and I was woefully underdressed. Dunne felll on his arse and torres scored in the last minute.

I am going to stop now as I feel a bit depressed.

Think this has pretty much captured all of what I was thinking and have endured. Perhaps only add the 8-0 Chelsea away game but Bradford x2 is by far the worst.

• Thanks 1

The game where Manè scored the fastest ever PL hat-trick has to be up there. To be on the wrong side of a record like that is painful, especially because to this day it gets talked about and the clips get shown every once in a while. It's only now that we're looking like a good, well run club again that I can actually bear to watch them and appreciate the achievement. I still watch through my fingers, though.

• Like 1

Home v Sheff Weds the day we went down under McNeil. 

0-3 at Sty Andrews - the Enckelman game. Probably the most toxic away game I’ve been to.

Away at Atletico Madrid - the Spanish police were disgraceful.

23 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

The game where Manè scored the fastest ever PL hat-trick has to be up there. To be on the wrong side of a record like that is painful, especially because to this day it gets talked about and the clips get shown every once in a while. It's only now that we're looking like a good, well run club again that I can actually bear to watch them and appreciate the achievement. I still watch through my fingers, though.

same, stood up to go for a beer after the second goal, they scored the third before i made it to the stairs, walked out and went to a pub down the road

was it the year before or 2 years before when the last away game was spurs and we were 3-0 down after about 25 minutes? that was a pub at half time game too

"honourable" mentions to liverpool at home when we lost 6-0, that might be the only time ive ever walked out of a home game, swansea away 4-1 i slept through most of that game, man city away 4-0 under ged when we were still an ok team but didnt even bother trying to compete and i can remember the disgust at pires coming on

was it southampton at home where bacuna from the edge of their box played a 40 yard back pass over the head of lescott and richards who were both so **** slow that the striker ran through and scored? i think that might be the worst single moment i can remember

theres probably a whole host of 1-0, 0-0 even 1-0 wins where we've played dreadful boring shite football, pretty much all of the relegation season

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Fulham play off final defeat and the realisation that Dr Tony was a fraud and we were staring financial meltdown in its face

At the time I was the same it was a typical Bruce fear the opposition do nothing performance in what was a huge game for the club.  I was more despondent than any FA Cup Final or League Cup Final defeat.

However in hindsight that game was one of the best things that ever happened to us!  The 3 years since have been magnificent and only seem to be getting better! So I don't look back at that game in the same way.

For me the worst performance was my 31st Birthday 29th November 2005. Lost 3-0 away to Doncaster Rovers in the League Cup under O'Leary a total shitshow from start to finish totally gutless like the manager!

Donny even released a single Show me the way to hammer Villa that is how bad it was!

• Like 2

Shudder...that Doncaster 3-0 was a shocker in ineptitude I will never forget witnessing.

i’ll add

losing 5-0 at home to Bradford in the Simod cup

3-0 away to Coventry on Boxing Day with fatty Quinn getting a hat trick

plus every time VAR cost US points last season 😀

Edited by randy_69

All 3 have been mentioned but these are my contenders for recent years.

The 6-0 loss to Liverpool in the relegation season definitely stands out in recent years as a terrible match. We had beaten Norwich the week before to give us a glimmer of hope that we might start going onto a run, only for us to then be absolutely smashed without any real fight or anything. That was definitely the final nail in the coffin for that season. 

The 2018 play off final loss was utterly depressing for the fact that it was our chance to get promoted and we were really dull and boring and failed to actually do anything. Of course we knew the financial implications shortly afterwards of that loss, but just so glad that NSWE came in and saved the day. We could be looking at a very different Villa if it wasn’t for that.

Also the Arsenal FA Cup Final loss, whilst we didn’t expect to win, the manner of the loss was abysmal and completely embarrassing. There was no reason for us to even turn up and we might as well have not beaten Liverpool in the semi. 

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the 0-1 loss to Crystal Palace on boxing Day a few years back? Last minute Gayle goal.

Horrible boring game, we were dredful. Cold day, last minute loss, more forward passed in a rugby game. 

I think that was in the height of the Lamber reign.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Does anyone remember the 0-1 loss to Crystal Palace on boxing Day a few years back? Last minute Gayle goal.

Horrible boring game, we were dredful. Cold day, last minute loss, more forward passed in a rugby game. 

I think that was in the height of the Lamber reign.

I do, my wife got me tickets as a xmas present for that game. We were staying at her parents in Hull and drove down that morning to Birmingham. She’s hated the Villa ever since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a younger lad that took defeats harder:

Inter Milan 3 v 0 Villa (1990) after winning the first leg 2-0 - that got me.

Villa 1 v 4 Leeds (1991) - Live on TV. Their title winning side (which to be fair was pretty decent).

Then a few others, previously mentioned:

The two 3-2 United defeats when winning (home and away).

Enkleman night was horrific and the 2-1 home defeat to blues (Horsfield was it intercepting a short back pass in front of the Holte) horrible. 2-2 wasn't great nor was the cup defeat at the sty under Houllier. 

Was on a plane going away for the Arsenal Cup final so missed the game - which proved to be a blessing. 

Bradford debacle. 

Stoke 2-2.

Chelsea 8-0.

Liverpool 0-6.

Luton & Doncaster (away) league Cup exits and terrible performances! 

The Man City away game and Man Utd games this season were tough to take (from a referee / var perspective).

• Like 2

The Bradford game was utter dross.  Still, we gave a lot of people an amazing memory, and would have most likely got trounced in the final..!  I remember N'Zogbia and Ireland barely running too.  So bad, five strikers on for the last 15..

I remember my first horrific game was losing 0-4 to Arsenal in '95 - Wright, Merson and Hartson tore us to absolute shreds.  I still maintain that was the moment when Doug realised he needed to address the aging squad.  Deano missed a penalty and we just looked like old men.  Still can picture a bloke moaning "McGrath got paid ten grand for that" as I walked out of the Holte End.

Â