Villan_of_oz

18 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Thank you for elaborating. It really helps me understand your opinion on the matter.

To be fair if you don't like it you should realise you just shouldn't be on VillaTalk

• Confused 1

Yup, they're both off at the end of the season. When I saw she'd signed a new deal I was pretty excited but 1 year basically says they're going to see how things go for them this year and then maybe move together if they can.

She'll be making more money from Social Media than playing anyway but imagine she'll try and move her football career to closer to wherever Dougie ends up

Just to add on from the discussion about socials, I moved houses after the new year and when I got a new TV I posted it on my story just to say how happy I am about having it. I got a message from a troll account telling me I should go kill myself and my missus should. Considering my Instagram is private and it came from a burner account, it was blatant it was someone I know. 

So saying all of that, a lot of trolls are from people you probably know. 

I do a lot of work with social media and also use it for memes etc so I see the positives, I’ve networked well using it. However there’s a lot of bastards on their that need to be handed harsher punishments for trolling someone to the point of them breaking down mentally. 

I know there’s talk about having to sign up with your ID in the same way you sign up to a crypto site. 

Ps congrats on the extension Alisha!

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Don't the women just tend to be on shorter contracts?  She obviously only signed a 1 year contract in the first place when she joined.

came on to post the same. just signing for a year means nothing as they all are on similar length contracts

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Yup, they're both off at the end of the season. When I saw she'd signed a new deal I was pretty excited but 1 year basically says they're going to see how things go for them this year and then maybe move together if they can.

She'll be making more money from Social Media than playing anyway but imagine she'll try and move her football career to closer to wherever Dougie ends up

Women’s team tend to do 1 year deals.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Anyone know the logic why women's football contracts seem to always be for 1 year?

Is it the clubs driving this or the players?

I think its probably the clubs, not sure the money flows through the game enough to risk longer contracts unless a superstar

2 hours ago, useless said:

I think one or two years is typical, not sure why, maybe in men's football the longer contracts are to protect the value of the player, so after a few years can still be sold on for a big fee, whereas in women's football I think I'm right in saying that often there isn't even a transfer fee involved and when there is it isn't a lot compared toe the mens game, last time I looked I think the word record transfer record for a female footballer was sumothing like €250,000.

Sometimes contracts can be longer though, Laura Blindkilde Brown is contracted with us until 2025 after signing her first professional deal in 2021 for example.

Yeah, Sam Kerr signed a 2 & 1/2 year deal last year that’s worth $2million. And that’s considered a “mega deal.” It really is sad looking at the minuscule numbers the women get.

8 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Whilst I don’t agree with those opinions you know the quotes you used don’t actually prove your definition right?

They’re essentially saying (bluntly) social media is a cess pit that is out of control so might be a good idea to stay off it if you are finding it mentally tough. Not if you go on social media it’s your fault if you get abused. Of course it’s the fault of the abuser. Obviously. To pretend you don’t see the difference in the sentiments is disingenuous.

I think we can call this a disagreement on the definition of victim blaming otherwise we'll end up going in circles.

I can see your side of it but I don't agree. I think the opposite is also true and we've both made our points pretty clearly.

Glad she signed a new contract - will be interesting to see what Dougie does in Jan.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

I think we can call this a disagreement on the definition of victim blaming otherwise we'll end up going in circles.

I can see your side of it but I don't agree. I think the opposite is also true and we've both made our points pretty clearly.

Glad she signed a new contract - will be interesting to see what Dougie does in Jan.

Sorry to labour the point, but do you feel it would be victim blaming to say she needs to come off social media for her own health if it makes her feel depressed?

I feel that way, but in no way do I:

- condone any abuse of her via dm/comment/tweet

- believe she should have to put up with such abuse

- belive she does anything to especially encourage abusive comments (she's not spouting hatred, breaking laws, or other such things in hey social media posts)

I feel that way because social media is not currently policed, that the platforms do a shit job of punishing and blocking people that send abuse, and so the only way anyone can manage it at the moment is either:

- cope with the abuse

- leave the platform/make your profile private

Obviously, if you can do either of those whilst also raising awareness (as Alisha did in her Eurosport interview), so much the better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yeah, Sam Kerr signed a 2 & 1/2 year deal last year that’s worth $2million. And that’s considered a “mega deal.” It really is sad looking at the minuscule numbers the women get.

As in she’s getting $2 million?  That’s a pretty big deal! 

• Like 1

Good to see. Women's football is only going to continue to grow. Imho our next focus should be our ladies academy. The transfer market in the womens game seems still a bit challenging. I like Carla Ward but I do wonder whether we can upgrade there. We didnt really have a very good season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good to see. Women's football is only going to continue to grow. Imho our next focus should be our ladies academy. The transfer market in the womens game seems still a bit challenging. I like Carla Ward but I do wonder whether we can upgrade there. We didnt really have a very good season.

There is a huge chasm between the bottom and the top womens players. That takes time. I have been massively suprised how good the football is from the ladies. Actually enjoyed it ( on mute though) 

But it will get bigger and bigger every year. 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 13:31, useless said:

I think one or two years is typical, not sure why, maybe in men's football the longer contracts are to protect the value of the player, so after a few years can still be sold on for a big fee, whereas in women's football I think I'm right in saying that often there isn't even a transfer fee involved and when there is it isn't a lot compared to the mens game, last time I looked I think the word record transfer record for a female footballer was sumothing like €250,000.

Sometimes contracts can be longer though, Laura Blindkilde Brown is contracted with us until 2025 after signing her first professional deal in 2021 for example.

Think you answered the 'not sure why' part immediately afterwards. The lack of transfer fees is exactly why - if it is unlikely a club will buy you out of your contract, then having a short contract is the best way to keep your options open.

• Thanks 1

Â