Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Of course, such an aggressive approach to signings will take an almighty hit if Manchester City, or any other interested club, firm up their interest in Villa’s best player and captain, Jack Grealish, and take him away before the window closes at the end of August.

Also, while their desire to sign Smith Rowe are real, it’s one thing bidding for him, and another actually landing the attacker

Athletic

Please be true, real statement signing buying him off one of the supposed top 6.

Seriously.....What a load of bollox. In one breath City can come and take Grealish, in another it's one thing bidding for Smith Rowe but another actually landing him..

Gregg Evens is a serious cock! I can't believe anyone who knows his track record takes his thoughts seriously.

• Like 1

I just find it kinda weird that bids would get rejected these days.

Surely someone at Villa would phone someone at Arsenal and say "How much would it cost to have a bid accepted for Smith Rowe?" They'd respond with "He's not for sale at all". Dude at Villa goes "Okay then, here's a £25m bid" ??

Surely all the negotiation of what is or isn't an acceptable bid is done long before the bid actually gets submitted.

I mean I have no idea how these things worth but £25m sounds awfully low really. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Surely someone at Villa would phone someone at Arsenal and say "How much would it cost to have a bid accepted for Smith Rowe?" They'd respond with "He's not for sale at all". Dude at Villa goes "Okay then, here's a £25m bid" ??

Surely all the negotiation of what is or isn't an acceptable bid is done long before the bid actually gets submitted.

I mean I have no idea how these things worth but £25m sounds awfully low really. 

I'd assume it either happens on a phone call or an in person meeting. You register your interest you make an opening bid. They counter you devise whether its acceptable or go back to your club to discuss with advisors and then make another bid. 

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

In my experience this is how it goes

Young player valued at £2m with a handful of appearances to his name.

You submit a £7m bid with additional clauses.

They come back and ask for £107m

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I find the whole thing strange. They were never going to accept that. Maybe it’s all being led by his agent to get him a better contract.

Either way, not in a million years is this happening. And I was more excited by the JWP link to be honest.

Why have we bid for him though. We never bid for players when we believe we've no realistic hope of signing them. So somewhere there must be a belief he won't sign a new deal at Arsenal and thus would need to be sold. 

I think at this time we are just trolling Arsenal. Saka will be next. Serves them right tbh. I hear gooners fans aint to happy. Couple of youtube vids about how he fits our system, how he's always loved the Villa just like his dad. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why have we bid for him though. We never bid for players when we believe we've no realistic hope of signing them. So somewhere there must be a belief he won't sign a new deal at Arsenal and thus would need to be sold. 

If we've actually bid for him and not just enquired, we have a serious shot to get him...  I honestly don't think he's going to be worth as much as some Arsenal fans value him at.  He's honestly gettable at ~35 million with add ons.

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah exactly 

What is a formal bid? An email? A fax? 

And then the press get wind of that? 

I don't believe any of that, its silly season, with the agents pulling the strings, who do people really think tells ornstein that we've bid? 

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Maybe it's still done by fax.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

It is funny. We just need someone on here with photoshop skills to mock up a pic of ESR in a Villa top, like they seem to do with Grealish in an Arsenal top for top trolling. Or we can all sign up to ESR Insta page and welcome him to Villa, again like Arsenal fans have been doing for the last xx amount of months with Grealish. 😂

EWS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is official £multimillion business.

it’s not some WhatsApp group.

’we’ll give you £45m for smith-rowe’

’ok’

’oh sorry, fat fingers. I meant £4m. We still good?’

You draw up an offer, via your legal team.  And you send it across, in writing, and you await a formal response. 
Otherwise people would just be testing the water everywhere.

I think that’s the difference between having a ‘bid rejected’, and ‘have made enquiries’

1 minute ago, Thug said:

This is official £multimillion business.

it’s not some WhatsApp group.

’we’ll give you £45m for smith-rowe’

’ok’

’oh sorry, fat fingers. I meant £4m. We still good?’

You draw up an offer, via your legal team.  And you send it across, in writing, and you await a formal response. 
Otherwise people would just be testing the water everywhere.

I think that’s the difference between having a ‘bid rejected’, and ‘have made enquiries’

Not disputing any of that.
But my point is, why would a club even make a bid before making enquiries? 
Surely you'd enquire what would be acceptable, and then actually make a bid? Or is that just crazy thinking? 

The idea of just blindly placing a bid seems like a colossal waste of time to me.