Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

I know he played on the right coming in at Norwich, but from what I've seen, it's his little through-balls and finding pockets of space, to keep the ball alive in dangerous areas where he's good. Given his size and lack of pace, wouldn't he be more marginalised on the wing?

He's not a midfielder, if we play two up top, he needs to play as one of the two - off the front man. If we play with wingers, he needs to play wide. If we play a narrow 4-3-3 he can play behind a front two, but that means no wingers and three other central midfielders playing behind him.

We're not doing him any favours at the moment by trying to play him as one of three in the middle of the park.

6 hours ago, WHY said:

He’s weak, slow, poor passer

Absolutely not a poor passer. Who else in our team could have made that centre-back splitting pass to Ings against Wolves? Maybe Dougie. That's it.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He isn't a pacy wideman and he isn't Jack Grealish.

As I said a while back, I don't expect another Grealish. Grealish is world class. I merely expect Buendia to be good. As I see it so far, Buendia has Grealish's passing skills and Bailey has his dribbling skills. Neither is as good in attack. (Though both track back on defense better.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Absolutely not a poor passer. Who else in our team could have made that centre-back splitting pass to Ings against Wolves? Maybe Dougie. That's it.

As I said a while back, I don't expect another Grealish. Grealish is world class. I merely expect Buendia to be good. As I see it so far, Buendia has Grealish's passing skills and Bailey has his dribbling skills. Neither is as good in attack. (Though both track back on defense better.)

In general his passing is poor, one good pass in 6/7 games doesn’t change my opinion on this. He can improve his passing but my worry is that he’s just so slow on the ball and doesn’t seem to have the stamina to last 90 mins. 

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Different positions but Smith Rowe is a miles better player imo so there will be little regret from them. Perhaps if we'd just let them have Buendia they might've let ESR leave. Him roaming from the left and we would've been much better balanced with 11 this season.

Absolutely 0% chance they let him go

7 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We looked at his compatriot Alvarez who was available for much less, it's a shame we didn't get him instead. 

It would have likely taken Alvarez a year to get up to speed in this league, in which time many would be calling him a bust as well. We need to get out of this grass is greener mentality. He's started what, 5 matches for us? We aren't half an impatient bunch. If we recall, it took Jack about 8-10 games to get used to this league when we first came up. I even remember one particular poster insisting we should sell him for £20m because he was so overrated by our fans. 2 years later, we sell him for 5x that.

I'm assuming you have all watched this probably right around when the transfer took place, as did I, but I just watched it again.  The guy has game, he just needs to be provided and/or find more space in order to utilize his skills.  I'm still hopeful Deano finds the right formation/role for Buendia that allows him to be at his best.  Trying to be optimistic.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

I'm assuming you have all watched this probably right around when the transfer took place, as did I, but I just watched it again.  The guy has game, he just needs to be provided and/or find more space in order to utilize his skills.  I'm still hopeful Deano finds the right formation/role for Buendia that allows him to be at his best.  Trying to be optimistic.

Note a few things...

1. He's in the middle just as often as on the right in these highlights.

2. He scores goals with both feet.

He's going to be good for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Absolutely 0% chance they let him go

Strange we bid twice for him then. Surely in those circumstances we get in touch with his agent just to see if there's any chance he would consider leaving. Then club makes one bid and then gets told to clear off by other club....and potentially player aswell.

Don't really get why we then bid again if that was the case, must've been some sort of strategy unless it was purely speculative. 

He's a better player than Bunedia anyway for me and would've balanced our 11 out nicely.

Just watch Bernardo Silva demolish Brighton , Bhundia is similar type just need games & more importantly like minded intelligent /skillful teammate like Foden etc, play as a unit. I am not sure if Smith knows how to utilize him properly, as such playing style are more the latin managers style, which not many English is good at. 

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

I watched the Tonev tape too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Maybe the price tag is weighing him down? 

Maybe.

Maybe he has joined a new club, had a stop start first quarter of the season, and is trying to find his feet in a formation that is unfamiliar to the whole team, not just him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Maybe the price tag is weighing him down? 

That and that he has come into a side that has lost its “main man”… it’s captain… it’s talisman…

Its a lot of pressure to come in to…

We haven’t got it right with him yet… but he has proven that he CAN play in the Premier League and CAN deliver the goods…

The management just need to figure out how to get the best out of him with us…

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We signed Tonev from the Polish league.

Again, why are people acting as if Buendia is this mystery signing with no history in English football? Like we've been conned by highlights reels!? It's nonsense. He was a top performer for Norwich at Championship and Premier League level over several seasons. He's a known quantity. He isn't a dud.

Something's not working right now, but it's not because he's a fundamentally bad player.

Funniest thing is the people suggesting an unproven player from the Argentinian league would be better. As if they wouldn't write him off as a highlight reel bust after 5 games too.

I understand despite playing out of position he still needs to show more. 

Why wouldn't you play your record signing in his best position though? I just don't understand that. 

Off the right is where he did all the damage for Norwich. 

Â