Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

On 22/10/2021 at 19:09, Johnnyp said:

His wavelength ? He took the ball into the tackle 3 times in 5 minutes in the first half, when he could of passed it, got dispossessed and put us in trouble. Not making a run for a player, fine i get that but Buendia has to be accountable for how pretty inept he’s been with the ball.

By "different wavelength," I was think of early in the second half when he saw some space beyond Dougie and passed it there but Dougie didn't make the run and Buendia raised his hands in frustration. Similar things have happened a couple other times in other games...sometimes in reverse, i.e. Buendia makes a good run and they don't see him.

I just re-watched the first 65 minutes and he did get dispossessed a bunch of times so that is a valid criticism...though on a few of them he received the ball with his back to goal with no opportunity to turn and/or had two men on him, so they were difficult situations.

On 23/10/2021 at 11:12, WHY said:

In general his passing is poor, one good pass in 6/7 games doesn’t change my opinion on this. He can improve his passing but my worry is that he’s just so slow on the ball and doesn’t seem to have the stamina to last 90 mins. 

When re-watching the match, I saw him make 2 bad passes in the first half and 1 in the second. No more than anyone else, and they weren't the worst of giveaways. The problem, as JohnnyP said, may be more with keeping possession than passing.

On the other hand, go back and watch the delicious pass he made (from the centre) to spring Watkins (on the left) in the 47th minute, or the brilliant 1-2 he played with Watkins (on the left) followed by an opportunity-creating pass to Ings in the 51st minute. He makes several passes to set up goal chances every time he plays. And these two were on the left. The idea that he is a right-sided player only is silly.

Edited by TomC
Fixed typo

11 hours ago, TomC said:

By "different wavelength," I was think of early in the second half when he saw some space beyond Dougie and passed it there but Dougie didn't make the run and Buendia raised his hands in frustration. Similar things have happened a couple other times in other games...sometimes in reverse, i.e. Buendia makes a good run and they don't see him.

I just re-watched the first 65 minutes and he did get dispossessed a bunch of times so that is a valid criticism...though on a few of them he received the ball with his back to goal with no opportunity to turn and/or had two men on him, so they were difficult situations.

When re-watching the match, I saw him make 2 bad passes in the first half and 1 in the second. No more than anyone else, and they weren't the worst of giveaways. The problem, as JohnnyP said, may be more with keeping possession than passing.

On the other hand, go back and watch the delicious pass he made (from the centre) to spring Watkins (on the left) in the 47th minute, or the brilliant 1-2 he played with Watkins (on the left) followed by an opportunity-creating pass to Ings in the 51st minute. He makes several passes to set up goal chances every time he plays. And these two were on the left. The idea that he is a right-sided player only is silly.

You talk like he has been brilliant. I get that you rate him and that’s your opinion but let’s not go OTT on what has been a disappointing transfer so far.

12 hours ago, TomC said:

He has never really played on the left though. Check out his career heat map. (Credit to https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/emi-buendia-how-he-fits-into-aston-villas-setup)

Harshal-Patel-1.png

He's nearly always played on the right, and  only ever found himself on the left side of the pitch when space or opportunity has allowed...which is probably why something happens when he's over there. 

We have a problem that both he and Bailey prefer the right. One of them needs to be played on their weaker side...for me, Bailey left and Buendia right is our best mix. But they could swap mid game

Edited by MrBlack
Formatting and clarity
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WHY said:

You talk like he has been brilliant. I get that you rate him and that’s your opinion but let’s not go OTT on what has been a disappointing transfer so far.

Fair enough. Like I said, in re-watching, I can see the problems with possession. Let's just not go OTT in the other direction. He's started what, 5 matches of 9?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomC said:

Fair enough. Like I said, in re-watching, I can see the problems with possession. Let's just not go OTT in the other direction. He's started what, 5 matches of 9?

Yes its too small a sample size in which to judge a player. If he had walked into a settled team it would have been easier to settle but theres so much wrong at the moment its not easy for him. 

• Like 2

World class players like Sancho are also struggling at their new teams. It takes time for anybody. I think it'll take a lot less time for Emi than it would for someone from abroad, but it'll take time nonetheless. Especially considering the upheaval of our start to the season. 

• Like 1

If we're thinking about price tag alone, we should expect him to be a third as good as Grealish... 

Seriously though, he's not settled just yet and save for a few excellent passes (in pre-season mostly) and a good work ethic, he's disappointed so far. I don't think the formation has helped either. 

He's not played on a bigger stage in his career so far either and could be feeling that pressure somewhat. 

It looked like he stormed down the tunnel and didn't come back. There's a chance he just went and changed in to dry clothes or something, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but if that is what happened, something needs to be done about his attitude. 

• Like 1

Got a feeling he is going to fall into the Dwight Gayle, Mitrovic category, too good for the Championship but not good enough for the PL. Shame it cost use over a third of the Grealish money to find out.

5 minutes ago, WHY said:

Got a feeling he is going to fall into the Dwight Gayle, Mitrovic category, too good for the Championship but not good enough for the PL. Shame it cost use over a third of the Grealish money to find out.

No chance. He's already had a very decent PL season.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

We bought him to be a chance creator yet he has 1 assist in 8 games. In what world is that a decent PL season?

Edit: Nevermind, you're referring to his time with Norwich 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

You must know him personally to keep banging on about him like you do. He’s been below average imo. Sick of hearing excuses made for the bloke, he cost us more than any other player who has even worn our famous colours. He hasn’t been anywhere near good enough. 

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We bought him to be a chance creator yet he has 1 assist in 8 games. In what world is that a decent PL season?

Edit: Nevermind, you're referring to his time with Norwich 

Yeah I was. But don't look at 1 assist in 8. That could easily be 2 in 8 if Ings buries the chance he put on a plate for him. He should honestly be the least of your worries.

Â