Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Done himself no favours tbh.

Opened his villa account with a goal then decided to go on international duty at the circus in Brazil when everyone advised against it.

Been playing catchup ever since.

Wanting to play for your country is one of the more solid indicators of a player's drive and ambition (for one thing, it shows that they possess the urge to play high-level football without a bloated club pay-check acting as an incentive), and it's hard to think of a great player down the years who hasn't had the strong desire to turn out for his national team.  I'd be more bothered if Buendia didn't show this desire, regardless of how much of a tall-order achieving the goal might seem to others.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Thought he was by far and away our most creative player last night.

Really?

I think if you cut out the six seconds for the assist, which was excellent, he was pretty much invisible - Ashley Young was more productive down the right hand side when we were playing with ten men than Buendia was when we were playing with eleven. 

I like Buendia, I have no doubt he'll make a success of things here, but jeez he was poor yesterday. I thought it was his worst performance for the club.

• Like 1

Just now, cbr600rr said:

paid upwards for him, at that sort of ££ you are buying a players, not a development player or "one for the future" .

you have to question the manager for this one .

Why? There are lots of people who are responsible for transfers at the club, the buck doesn't stop with one guy - we're not in the year 2000 anymore. 

37 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

I think every fan thought it was an amazing signing!? Trolling Arsenal in the process.

Still early days for all the new boys hardly any preseason and international breaks every couple of weeks.

He will come good I am sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

paid upwards for him, at that sort of ££ you are buying a players, not a development player or "one for the future" .

Assuming it was DS that brought him. And not our recruitment committee !!!

2 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

Maybe Pep should be questioned for the 100 million spent on Grealish he hasnt done much more. Tuchel might have to go as Lukaku made a slow start too and Pochettino too as that Messi guy hasnt done much yet

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Yes, absolutely on Benrahma, but outside of Werner/Havertz/Ziyech trio at Chelsea because their fees were massive, I only included signings from the summer just passed. The point is well-made, though - last season Benrahma couldn't get a kick, and when he did he looked out of sorts. But, a season of training and learning how the team operates, a full off-season to really bed-in the learnings and practice with his teammates, and this season he looks a completely different player.

As was pointed out by someone else on the previous page, last time Buendia was in the Prem he ran 3rd for chances created behind only KDB and Grealish, who are unequivocally two of the best players in the league when in form - and he did that for a team which ran dead last. That tells you he clearly has the talent to perform at this level. Just give him (and Bailey for that matter) the time they need to adjust to a new home city / country, a new team, a new manager, new training methods and game plans - and equally as importantly, give the rest of the team the time to understand how Buendia and Bailey think: how, when and where do they like to receive the ball, to give the ball etc.

I read through a Twitter thread analysing Buendia's performances this season, and the author highlighted so many instances where teammates (primarily Watkins) simply have not been on the same wavelength so far, resulting in misplaced passes, incorrect runs, split second hesitations which allow defenders to get a foot in or get back into shape etc. All that is completely understandable with new teammates, and the only thing that fixes it is time - training together, playing together. Here is the thread, well worth a read (watch the clips too):

These videos always remind me how bad Pukki is.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I was over the moon when he signed but now I am seriously doubting if he is going to settle into the side effectively, particularly under the current coaching regime.

For me he still hasn't had a decent run in the side. Think he was unlucky to subbed the other day after the red card plus he's still trying to gain match fitness. I think he'll come good but the teams poor confidence levels aren't helping! 

15 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Our record signing tend to be a mixed bag. Big Wes, Bent, Collymore, Savo to name a few. JPA was a qualified success  and Milner was a good signing but they haven't all worked out.

I think Norwich paid something like £1.5m for Buendia. I know he’s had injuries in preseason, but he has looked more like that price of player than the £38m we shelled out for him atm. Think he’s been very underwhelming but he has this season to bed in before we can realistically judge. 

On Milosevic, I thought he was underrated by many. I loved him growing up. Yorke/Savo following on from Saunders/Atkinson…we really were spoiled in the 90s

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think Norwich paid something like £1.5m for Buendia. I know he’s had injuries in preseason, but he has looked more like that price of player than the £38m we shelled out for him atm. Think he’s been very underwhelming but he has this season to bed in before we can realistically judge. 

On Milosevic, I thought he was underrated by many. I loved him growing up. Yorke/Savo following on from Saunders/Atkinson…we really were spoiled in the 90s

Yet at the time it was Ellis out he wasn't spending enough etc.

I'm sure he's a decent player but not for Aston Villa, there's just nothing there. He looks every inch a luxury player but without the luxury. He's just wasting a spot in our team at the moment. 

Ironically i still think Arsenal would be a good fit for him, if we could get 25 mill for him now i would take it and find a better fit for the club.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm sure he's a decent player but not for Aston Villa, there's just nothing there. He looks every inch a luxury player but without the luxury. He's just wasting a spot in our team at the moment. 

Ironically i still think Arsenal would be a good fit for him, if we could get 25 mill for him now i would take it and find a better fit for the club.

Isn't a luxury player though.

But he won't get to press as effective as a 10 than as a right winger.

He's been played out of position for most of the season unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I hope your knee's OK from that spasmodic jerk. He's barely had a chance to show what he can do - shoehorned in to various unsettled formations into a team low on morale and confidence. 

I get that he's been underwhelming, but give the guy a chance before writing him off ffs. 

• Like 3

Â