Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

Awful last night and has been a flop thus far. Makes the odd nice pass but it isn’t enough.

Said it before, Charles Gil MKII

16 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Carles Gil is doing bits in America now to be fair. 

It’s what he did for us that I care about. And a retirement league is hardly a good marker.

5 minutes ago, jim said:

It’s what he did for us that I care about. And a retirement league is hardly a good marker.

Tongue in cheek mate (Buendia can go make it in MLS). 

I think Buendia just needs playing out wide, Norwich fans were all in unison in saying he’s pretty useless in the middle. Just don’t get why we’ve bought these players but seemingly have reverted to a back up plan? What was the actual plan?!

• Like 2

From what I can gather, he has always been played on the wing, and that is how he came to our notice. He does not look comfortable or confident playing in the centre, so (a) why play him there? and (b) why persist with him there when it clearly is not working?

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

From what I can gather, he has always been played on the wing, and that is how he came to our notice. He does not look comfortable or confident playing in the centre, so (a) why play him there? and (b) why persist with him there when it clearly is not working?

Part of me thinks that we really didn’t think Jack was going to leave. I know that the move to City eventually happened pretty quickly and he was set to sign a new deal with us, so yes Purslow has told us the likes of Buendia etc. were to replace Jack but I don’t buy it. There is no chance we’ve bought these players with the plan in mind to play 5-3-2, I think Buendia would have been on the right and Jack on the left. 

Now we’re trying to figure out a plan while also trying to get new players bedded in with a new coaching set up, whilst also having only one fully experienced player in the dressing room who is also a new player (Young). 

Worrying that we paid between £30m and £40m for this guy and so far his numbers (1 goal, 0 assists) and all-round play are well below par.

The most worrying thing about him is physically - not quick enough and not strong enough. Too easily bullied off the ball.

We looked at his compatriot Alvarez who was available for much less, it's a shame we didn't get him instead. 

But one thing I will say is the formation is not helping him, he did his best work with Norwich at RW. Play him there and he would surely perform better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Smith is also persisting with Ings and Watkins although that hasn't even come close to working. I really hope he's not scared of dropping one of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

People are reactionary. Who woulda thunk it.

In fairness if you're giving out stick it's only right to praise a player when they have a good game and I was happy with Buendia last weekend as he was getting into space and making things happen e.g. that pass he slotted for Ings first half when keeper saved.

For 30m + though you don't then want player to go back to being rubbish 6 days later. Last night he constantly lost the ball and ran into trouble and was too slow passing into space. He also messed up free kick right at end of first half and 30 seconds later the penalty happened. Then second half he should've scored and considering Arsenal got a bit nervous when we did actually score it would've been interesting.

For his pricetag I don't think it's a big ask to expect more than one good performance a month. I'd be amazed if he started next weekend.

3 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Arsenal fans thanking us for signing him now

Different positions but Smith Rowe is a miles better player imo so there will be little regret from them. Perhaps if we'd just let them have Buendia they might've let ESR leave. Him roaming from the left and we would've been much better balanced with 11 this season.

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This too is a worry for me, especially as I was desperate for us to sign him.

He needs to start from the right in a 4-3-3 in the next match with Bailey on the opposite side. Hopefully that brings out the best in him and it’s just a case of him playing out of position that’s causing the poor form.

Smith needs to move back to a 4-3-3 now. We can all blame injuries as to why he has persisted with the 3-5-2 this season but I’m a believer that you work to a specific system and if you get an injury, one player just slots in for another. At the moment, we seem to want to accommodate certain players without playing to our strengths. 

Smith will be gone if this continues. The pressure now is growing, whether you agree with it or not. He needs to find a way of winning consistently without Grealish. 

My worry with Buendia as I said when signing him is that I don't think he suits 433 really. He isn't a pacy wideman and he isn't Jack Grealish.

He always played on the right in 4231 and was fantastic. As he's not the quickest he needs bodies around him.

Whether we should be signing anyone for over £35m who needs a certain system (that we don't usually play) is another thought.

I don't think he'll "flop", but we really do need him to work. We aren't Man Utd - can't make bad errors as soon as you start chucking big money around. It takes too long to recover from.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

I thought we'd got past writing players off after a few games. 

He's a quality player, he'll come good. 

Agree with this.

Buendia is currently playing in an out of form team, out of position and in a formation that doesn't suit him best.

Add to that he hasn't had a long run in the team due to various reasons.

I think with Emi we need to be more patient - personally i think he'll turn out to be a good signing for us providing we use him right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Sticking with something that isn't working is the death spiral of every Villa manager of the last 15 years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

I thought we'd got past writing players off after a few games. 

He's a quality player, he'll come good. 

Yes hes played a handful of games and people are writing him off.  Showed his quality with the fantastic goal against Brentford. 

On 05/06/2021 at 20:14, useless said:

To play The advocatus diaboli, Norwich have hardly put up a fight to keep him, in fact they've pretty much been advertising the fact that he's for sale, seemingly no other clubs have been interested in him, maybe Arsenal but they obviously don't think he's worth what we're paying, maybe because they didn't see him as first choice, and the last time he was in the premier league he only managed one goal and seven assists, both El Ghazi and Traore did better than that this season and Trezeguet matched it last season.

Is he being ever so slightly overrated, which can be unfair on him if people judge him too harshly based on unrealistic expectations.

I think this is exactly what has happened, he's barely played five games worth of premier league football for us, and it's not even as if he's been that bad in all the games, he's shown some promising signs.

Â