Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well that's good. A far cry from what the doom and gloom prognosticators in this and the Martinez thread were envisioning.

Until a fortnight from now when Croatia ends up on the red list, as would be our Villa luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

So he's not even going to be making the bench? Just seems completely pointless

gets to spend the week training with and learning from messi. he's over there, nothing we can do about it, let's take the positives

While it may seem ‘pointless’ for Buendia to be there, if he turns down call ups then he’s got no chance of breaking into the team. It’s a similar situation to the 6 England players cut from the final squad for the euros - they stuck around for the friendly games so as not to slip down the pecking order.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterSw said:

I agree but also think the he will release a few 'bigger' names (including Martinez 🤞 ) and play a 'lesser' side in the last game against Bolivia which could very will include Buendia. 

To be fair that would the ideal situation. Martinez comes back early and Buendia gets to make his debut in a game where Argentina will probably dominate. 

Martinez is crucial for us and we need him for Everton a lot more than we probably need Buendia seeing as Bailey, Watkins, Ings and maybe Traore will be available by then. 

1 hour ago, PeterSw said:

I agree but also think the he will release a few 'bigger' names (including Martinez 🤞 ) and play a 'lesser' side in the last game against Bolivia which could very will include Buendia. 

He's gonna put Buendia in goal?

On 03/09/2021 at 09:02, Woody1000 said:

While it may seem ‘pointless’ for Buendia to be there, if he turns down call ups then he’s got no chance of breaking into the team. It’s a similar situation to the 6 England players cut from the final squad for the euros - they stuck around for the friendly games so as not to slip down the pecking order.

That's true and I totally get this argument. From Buendia's point of view he has to go. But if we're releasing a player at a detriment to ourselves seeing as they're potentially missing 2/3 league games it should be on the understanding that said player will play some part in at least one of the games.

It was different for those England players as pretty much all of them got minutes, the games were played locally, and even if they didn't make it they got the whole summer of rest afterwards.

Buendia and Martinez are having to fly halfway around the world and having to isolate and therefore miss Villa games afterwards. If one of them isn't going to play and is just there to train I don't see the point in us releasing them.

10 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

Totally agree. He’s caught between a rock and a hard place. He really couldn’t turn down the call up, and although it’s shit for Villa, I think most of us would have done the same.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

So he's not even going to be making the bench? Just seems completely pointless

You can see the way it's going can't you? Messi apparently limping off the plane going to Brazil so they'll play him v them then release him early back to Paris and play Buendia v Bolvia so ruling him out of pretty much all our September games!

Sooner we get into europe and can start dictating things on our terms the better. No chance we will release these two for the October and November games anyway if they go back on their word to release them after Sunday.

Edit: Argentina actually named 12 subs last night so he's well down the pecking order in the squad, very much 24th or 25th man.

Edited by VillaChris

Not in their squad, and if things click on the pitch for us in his absence he’ll be on the bench here, too. 

There’s no doubt we play better with a 3 man midfield, if Sanson does well with Luiz and McGinn, with Bailey, Ings and Ollie up front, Buendia might not get back in for a while.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Awol said:

Not in their squad, and if things click on the pitch for us in his absence he’ll be on the bench here, too. 

There’s no doubt we play better with a 3 man midfield, if Sanson does well with Luiz and McGinn, with Bailey, Ings and Ollie up front, Buendia might not get back in for a while.

That would be pretty fantastic if we did that well against Chelsea, Everton and Man U that we would want to keep an unchanged side. Probably not likely though unfortunately 🙁

I feel a bit for Buendia. His best chance of a cap is in that third fixture. It puts him in a difficult place really. If he gets told that he would play in the third match and he decides to stay then I would be ok with it. In the long run he will only benefit from such experience and in turn be a better player for us.

Â