Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure what picking other expensive players does. I could point to other cheaper players who have done much more and haven't had slow starts. What does that prove?

He chucked away his patience, when the club and manager asked him to put Aston Villa first and he said no. 

I don't hate the guy. I think he's shown some good moments and I'm sure he will eventually come good for us. But it's not been good enough to this point. 

You're holding him to a standard that just isn't realistic. I still don't get why him wanting to represent his country is such a sore spot for you. Visit the Emi Martinez thread and there are pages extolling his exploits while representing Argentina. No doubt his ranking as the 6th keeper in the world is based partially on his accomplishments with his home country. Why is Martinez granted this grace but you use it as a cudgel for Buendia. Seems unfair and honestly not really logical. 

To your other point. I mentioned other far more expensive players because you think the fee we paid somehow justifies the level of performance he should be giving us early into the season. Him being our record signing of almost £40 million pounds says more about our status as a club than Buendia. In the PL it just isn't that much.  It's definitely not a value that guarantees quality right out the gate.  So a certain level of patience is required and if you aren't willing to grant that it just comes off as you holding an agenda. 

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Only because he's flavour of the month. 

Both of them have struggled for fitness and form since arriving. Both should be miles away from being written off. 

I know it's frustrating as hell, but it is what it is. 

yeah it's weird how opinion shifts on dime on who should be written off every week

the pivot between who is not good enough, won't play for Villa again, is a crock who will never get fit and always be injured seems to rotate between Sanson, Bailey and Buendia.

I miss the old favourites such as slagging of El Ghazi. The old classics.

Lets get some NZogbia comparisons going. Tasty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The situation reminds me very much of when we signed NZogbia. I was ever so excited thinking we had a skilful intelligent player at a bargain price but he never turned out that way due to lack of effort and discipline. I see a lot of this in this lad sadly. The price of 40 million is comparison to the 10 million we paid for him back then so really should be no surprise. Sell him back to Norwich for 10 million if Smith likes him that much

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

You're holding him to a standard that just isn't realistic. I still don't get why him wanting to represent his country is such a sore spot for you. Visit the Emi Martinez thread and there are pages extolling his exploits while representing Argentina. No doubt his ranking as the 6th keeper in the world is based partially on his accomplishments with his home country. Why is Martinez granted this grace but you use it as a cudgel for Buendia. Seems unfair and honestly not really logical. 

To your other point. I mentioned other far more expensive players because you think the fee we paid somehow justifies the level of performance he should be giving us early into the season. Him being our record signing of almost £40 million pounds says more about our status as a club than Buendia. In the PL it just isn't that much.  It's definitely not a value that guarantees quality right out the gate.  So a certain level of patience is required and if you aren't willing to grant that it just comes off as you holding an agenda. 

I lost a bit of time for Martinez for that also. Its not about just wanting to represent Argentina, it was about exceptional circumstances and the club asking him not to miss playing for Aston Villa. Plenty of other Premier league players didn't go at that time. 

I think close to £40 million comes with some expectations, I don't think it's outrageous to have expected more or be disappointed with his performances thus far. 

I haven't written him off. I haven't said he'll never come good. I just don't think he's done enough so far. And the international incident doesn't help matters when you aren't performing on the pitch. 

13 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Taken as a highlights package without all the bad things he did i think this shows him in a good light. He did well last night and really made things happen or at least try to.  Once this midfield and the 2 number 10s get used to each others game within this new system there is zero reason why he will not be a very decent signing. He is a very clever player 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m not going to try and tell you that what you’re seeing is wrong, but it’s definitely far from what I’m seeing. If you don’t see signs of a skilful intelligent player there then there’s nothing anyone will say that will convince you. There’s a reason he’s created the most changes per 90 (outside of the top 6). You can see him doing things on the turn, one twos and last night getting into dangerous positions and we just didn’t feed him through. He’s put it on a plate in two different games for Danny Ings and last night maybe someone with more experience slots it past Ederson. I can’t wait for it to click for him 

In all fairness my friend all of that was in response to @VillanousOne to his previous comment which has not received a response, either because it does not merit one or because he has me on ignore, either of which are understandable but the latter providing a much more enjoyable VT experience for all concerned and comes highly recommended 

for the record i

pretty much agree with you 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Taken as a highlights package without all the bad things he did i think this shows him in a good light. He did well last night and really made things happen or at least try to.  Once this midfield and the 2 number 10s get used to each others game within this new system there is zero reason why he will not be a very decent signing. He is a very clever player 

Watching it back I hadn’t quite realised just how influential he was in creating the Carney chance beyond the immediate assist. He basically created the entire move on his own which came close to equalising the game. He’s had a slow start but the criticism of him for last night is just bizarre

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

In all fairness my friend all of that was in response to @VillanousOne to his previous comment which has not received a response, either because it does not merit one or because he has me on ignore, either of which are understandable but the latter providing a much more enjoyable VT experience for all concerned and comes highly recommended 

for the record i

I don't think I've ever seen a centred VT post before... That's unique!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

for the record i

Not ignoring you, didn't realise you were responding directly to me, my ego isn't that big. You maybe right on the Nzogbia thing, but I tend to prefer to be an optimist and spend a lot of time giving players time and the benefit of the doubt, doesn't mean I am right, I just get try and get behind any player in a Villa shirt.

• Like 1

Did he start on the left? That's pretty big if so. He had a good game against one of the best teams in the league in a position are desperate for someone to come in and own.

Plus there was some encouraging and nice linkup with Dougie in that video in the Gerrard thread. Who'd have imagined those two combining in attack on the left a few weeks ago? I like it.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

It is weird how we seem to expect signings to come in and instantly deliver, in reality does that ever really happen at any club? Not saying never but it is pretty rare, usually the bigger the reputation and higher expectation the longer it takes.

Spot on. For further reading, see also: Jack Grelish, Man Citeh.

15 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I've no problems with a player taking time to gel, the big difference between him and bailey is the work rate, even at his worst , he is gonna chase down the defenders Infront of him

Yes and staying fit is the big thing. Both are other big signings have been hampered by injuries. In fact its a 36 year old that seems the fittest of our signings

Edited by PaulC

I thought he played very well, and am surprised to see the negative comments.

He’s going to be brilliant for us once the rest of the team are dragged up to his style of football.

it’s going to be beautiful one touch football soon.

mark my words.

12 minutes ago, Thug said:

I thought he played very well, and am surprised to see the negative comments.

He’s going to be brilliant for us once the rest of the team are dragged up to his style of football.

it’s going to be beautiful one touch football soon.

mark my words.

7/10

• Haha 1

Â