VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Shame Glastonbury haven’t setup a few sniper nests to automatically take out anyone that goes on someone’s shoulders 

you’ve got to be some special form of entitled word removed to do that at a festival 

Eh? Have you ever been to a gig or a festival?

Going on shoulders for your favourite song is one of the best things you can do. And the people around don’t mind cause they’re about to have a turn too.

I say this as someone who rarely goes up anymore but I put up guys over 100kg who have never been up on shoulders before. Everyone should do it.

Edited by fightoffyour

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Haha, he's always been a bit like a pub singer who got lucky.

(And that isn’t a criticism)

Never seen he appeal. He's a has-been IMO.

A relic of the 70's (when did he last write a song?) If he'd have died in the 80's or 90's no-one would give a shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

No encore shows are the future. Encores are always embarrassing 

Do your set and be done with it

Yeah I agree. It's a stupid custom. 

Bit of an underwhelming Glasto to be honest. 

I think the trouble is, a lot of the music nowadays is either heavily influenced by Hip Hop & Rap and the days of proper 'bands' being mainstream with big followings seems to have gone.

Hence the Eavis' having to get the likes of Guns n Roses on board to appease the traditionalists and hopefully put on a show - even though they are probably 10-15 years past when they should of retired.

We keep saying we will go, I live about 30mins from the actual site, but after watching the last 3 or 4 on TV I can't say I've seen anything that has been truly memorable. The last band who I watched on TV and wished I was there was when The Killers headlined the pyramid, they were brilliant. 

We will make the effort one year, but I could see myself spending most my time at the smaller stages. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

A gig is always gonna be a million times better in the flesh than it is on TV , but from listening to people that were there some of the Axl issues weren’t as prevalent there as they were on the TV playback

i watched it with Mrs H , and his voice struggled big time on certain songs with high notes like You  could be mine ,  November Rain  but it was still a rocking set and anyone saying it was the worse ever is  just going for likes on Twitter 

went to the gig at spurs ground last year and his voice was absolutely ****

that being said, i'm still going to see them on friday. i grew up on them and at this point i go for the riffs rather than his voice

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Never seen he appeal. He's a has-been IMO.

A relic of the 70's (when did he last write a song?) If he'd have died in the 80's or 90's no-one would give a shit.

We know you don't like him. 

Round a friend's for the weekend and they had the Glasto coverage on non-stop, normally not interested but caught Leftfield (Afrika Shox and Phat Planet sounded massive) and CHVRCHES sets.   I was already quite partial to CHVRCHES, but "I've sweated off me tit stickers... this isn't what I wanted for the livestream" has gone straight into my top 3 all time stage patter.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Top 4 from Glasto:

1. Rick Astley & Blossoms

2. Blondie

3. Shame

4. The Hives

Honourable mentions: Deadletter, The Big Moon, Chvrches, Warpaint 

Didn’t care much for AM, the first 20 minutes of Lana Del Rey was mind numbing, and I thought Elton John was a little bit dry (although I did leave with 30 mins left to beat the traffic). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicho said:

Watched Alt J instead of Elton John and they were great. Caught the end of Elton and seemed a fan pleasing set.

Just watched Queens of the Stone Age who absolutely smashed it.

A lot of people are saying that about QOTSA, may have to give it a watch.

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

A lot of people are saying that about QOTSA, may have to give it a watch.

Watching QOTSA now, great stuff.

Homme strikes me as someone you wouldn’t want to piss off 🤪

• Like 1

Been listening to a few sets while working.

Cat Stevens - bar a couple of 'new ones', which aren't so much bad as sitting extremely badly against the back catalogue he has, a good set. He could have done with a slightly more up for it crowd, he blatantly had the hangover crowd and his stuff combined to that he's an old chill hippy meant a very laid back set. But he can still knock the classics out and they are classics. Good.

Pretenders - I've never actively listened to the Pretenders, and I've always had them pegged as 1 hit wonders with a decent section of C list post punk rock songs and friends in the biz. But no, really good performance, belying the age of it all. Any set with a guitarist looking like he's trying to strangle a pygmy crocodile when he's playing is on to a winner.

Manic Street Preachers - really good. No messing, hour long of run of the classics, banged them out super professional style. Going to blow anyone away? No. But they gave you an hour of bangers, Bradfield kept the energy going and didn't lay the patter on thick, and confirmed that the Manics were always a **** good band and have some great rock songs. **** opened with Motorcycle Emptiness, yes.

CHVRCHES - I make no secret of liking CHVRCHES, and they showed why more should. Really good synth pop bangers with Lauren Mayberry belting out the vocals in-between looking gorgeous and spinning around the stage like a toddler. Great stuff.

Gn'R - err... Yeah. Axl can't sing anymore, and now he's an older, tubbier, post lots of drugs man, he's lost the charisma he had as a snarling snake hipped ego maniac screaming bellend 30 years ago. And while Slash will never not be cool, when it's not quite working his chill aloof vibe comes across as boredom. Plus... Gn'R with an audience of middle class families and their fat kids just doesn't feel right. So while the set is obviously banger on banger, it's just not the same anymore and came across as super flat. The production was also clearly ****, as while Axl's voice is clearly shot, you could barely hear him at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Bit of an underwhelming Glasto to be honest. 

I think the trouble is, a lot of the music nowadays is either heavily influenced by Hip Hop & Rap and the days of proper 'bands' being mainstream with big followings seems to have gone.

Hence the Eavis' having to get the likes of Guns n Roses on board to appease the traditionalists and hopefully put on a show - even though they are probably 10-15 years past when they should of retired.

We keep saying we will go, I live about 30mins from the actual site, but after watching the last 3 or 4 on TV I can't say I've seen anything that has been truly memorable. The last band who I watched on TV and wished I was there was when The Killers headlined the pyramid, they were brilliant. 

We will make the effort one year, but I could see myself spending most my time at the smaller stages. 

You've literally just written what I've been thinking. 

I've looked at the line ups at a lot of festivals and they're all pretty disappointing. If you're not into dance/electronic music or hippity hop then there are just no new bands doing big business. 

I bet this Glastonbury is the oldest line up probably ever. 

So they're relying on the same "big" bands from the 2000's.  Now delving into the 90's and 70's. You might see someone like Duran Duran headline soon when their best bet in days gone by might be a shot at the legend slot. 

What do they do, try and get another song out of The Stones or The Who and hope it doesn't go all Guns n'Roses.  Get in another of Arctic Monkeys/Kasabian/Killers etc.  These big stadium rock bands are few and far between.  Maybe U2 could have another crack as they had all that rain last time. 

Probablem is Glastonbury has to try and be bigger and better than the other big festivals so that's why Elton John was a great booking. 

Obviously I'm well out of popular music but I'm looking down the lists and even at most headliners I really have little interest in. That first year The Killers played Glastonbury after Hot Fuss I remember thinking I just wouldn't know who to see there are so many to choose from. 

But that's just me. 

Maybe they can get Oasis out of retirement, but that is again looking back. 

I've a feeling something has to change in popular music because it's all so formulaic it seems to me. Like Punk had to follow Disco and Britpop had to follow Euro Techno. I feel really sorry for the kids today. They're in a proper lull music wise. 

Personally I think they should try hard to get Depeche Mode as they'd be brilliant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Milfner said:

Top 4 from Glasto:

1. Rick Astley & Blossoms

2. Blondie

3. Shame

4. The Hives

Honourable mentions: Deadletter, The Big Moon, Chvrches, Warpaint 

Didn’t care much for AM, the first 20 minutes of Lana Del Rey was mind numbing, and I thought Elton John was a little bit dry (although I did leave with 30 mins left to beat the traffic). 

Nothing for The Pretenders? Best by a mile for me and I absolutely adore Blondie. 

Â