VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Was talking to some mates on what's app last night. 

Debbie Harry being 78 cropped up, my mate said how old she looks. 

I said 78, I still would because my younger self would never forgive me. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

He was actually there I think so maybe didn’t fit into his schedule

Yeah I gathered that when I re-read his post but left it up as he might like to catch up. 

Who will be the next big stadium rock band? 

I think if Wet Leg have a successful second album they could get big.  Inhaler maybe? 

So many bands have come and gone with 1 successful album then faded. 

Maybe that day is done, at least for the foreseeable future and it is all about Hip. Hop, poppy singer songwriters and girl/boy bands. 

Problem is  most of the people who can afford to go are middle aged and they want to see old artists playing.

Can't understand how Rick Astley can be regarded as a glastonbury performer, I watched his Smiths cover and it was horrendous to my ears. Like a poor pissed up karaoke singer but each to there own.

Maybe the headliners slot is a done deal, artists like the foals, palace, wet leg, Fred, London Grammar, Sam Fender the list goes on aren't quite big enough to the older generation and most of the youngsters haven't got the money to visit or the inclination to que for 6 months. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

You've literally just written what I've been thinking. 

I've looked at the line ups at a lot of festivals and they're all pretty disappointing. If you're not into dance/electronic music or hippity hop then there are just no new bands doing big business. 

I bet this Glastonbury is the oldest line up probably ever. 

So they're relying on the same "big" bands from the 2000's.  Now delving into the 90's and 70's. You might see someone like Duran Duran headline soon when their best bet in days gone by might be a shot at the legend slot. 

What do they do, try and get another song out of The Stones or The Who and hope it doesn't go all Guns n'Roses.  Get in another of Arctic Monkeys/Kasabian/Killers etc.  These big stadium rock bands are few and far between.  Maybe U2 could have another crack as they had all that rain last time. 

Probablem is Glastonbury has to try and be bigger and better than the other big festivals so that's why Elton John was a great booking. 

Obviously I'm well out of popular music but I'm looking down the lists and even at most headliners I really have little interest in. That first year The Killers played Glastonbury after Hot Fuss I remember thinking I just wouldn't know who to see there are so many to choose from. 

But that's just me. 

Maybe they can get Oasis out of retirement, but that is again looking back. 

I've a feeling something has to change in popular music because it's all so formulaic it seems to me. Like Punk had to follow Disco and Britpop had to follow Euro Techno. I feel really sorry for the kids today. They're in a proper lull music wise. 

Personally I think they should try hard to get Depeche Mode as they'd be brilliant. 

Yeah, you go back to the late 90s, early 00s and you'd need an abacus to list how many great bands were about. 

Even the scene which saw the likes of Limp Bizkit, Green Day, Linkin Park, RATM etc etc... seems to have dried up. 

Everything is rinse and repeat. I honestly don't know if we will ever see a return to these sort of bands. I hope we do but I'd be very surprised 😕

9 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Yeah, you go back to the late 90s, early 00s and you'd need an abacus to list how many great bands were about. 

Even the scene which saw the likes of Limp Bizkit, Green Day, Linkin Park, RATM etc etc... seems to have dried up. 

Everything is rinse and repeat. I honestly don't know if we will ever see a return to these sort of bands. I hope we do but I'd be very surprised 😕

So is the issue, not enough rock bands headlining? Traditional men with guitars playing popular singalong anthems? Is that the problem? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I think if Wet Leg have a successful second album they could get big.  Inhaler maybe? 

Maybe that day is done, at least for the foreseeable future and it is all about Hip. Hop, poppy singer songwriters and girl/boy bands. 

Nothing but Thieves? 

Love those guys. 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Anybody live in Bradford?

**** love Bradford.

Guess what’s in the bag, win a prize.

Terrorvision vinyl lp?

They are from Bradford, right?

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Anybody live in Bradford?

**** love Bradford.

Worked there for 28 years. 

Shithole. 

Edited by mjmooney

42 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

So is the issue, not enough rock bands headlining? Traditional men with guitars playing popular singalong anthems? Is that the problem? 

It's not a problem for some but it is for me for example. That's the kind of music I like.  I don't like Hip Hop or electronic/dance music or singer songwriter type or girl or boy bands. But those kind of acts are the kind doing the big business right now hence I probably won't enjoy festivals as they develop. 

They don't have to be traditional men. They can be unconventional ladies with pleasure. I'm hoping Wet Leg have a brilliant second album and go stellar right now. 

Plenty of people don't like stadium rock bands, that's fine. Some people can take them along with other music types and that's fine too. 

It does seem like that day is over though. Glastonbury will probably have to sell it's arts/other side much harder in future if it can't different itself from the other festivals and they're all just rotating the same popular music acts. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I still think wet leg will go the way of the vaccines

Foals should have done it, their reading headliner was brilliant but they fell off, feels like they're back to the other stage now

Catfish had the momentum then imploded, royal blood had a bad 3rd album, idles didn't keep going, fontaines I don't think will get big enough but could headline the other stage

1975 could (and probably will) do Wembley like Ed does 

Sam Fender probably if reading hits

There's a few hip hop artists that if they played with a live band rather than a DJ they could put on a proper live show and become huge but I'm not sure they want it, if kanos next album is a good one I can see him headlining the other stage (again?) but he's not doing stadiums or the main stage

Can see becky hill getting an other stage headline slot too

Edit - long story short I think the other stage has loads of potential candidates coming through but the main stage doesn't

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

I think currently traditional rock doesn't have pretenders to the throne. Possibly Sam Fender, Lewis Capaldi and of course your man Ed Sheeran. 

Legacy acts or hip hop/ pop acts are where the future lies. Lizzo, Harry Styles and Taylor Swift I see headlining over the next 2 Glastonbury's. Perhaps Tyler the Creator. Pink maybe. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Is it The K is Silent by Hot Country Knights?

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Terrorvision vinyl lp?

They are from Bradford, right?

Ah you were both so close, it was Freakout / Release by Hot Chip.

I watched their Glastonbury set and it pushed them up my list a little and then I went to the small but beautifully formed Bradford Record Cafe and they happened to have it in there.

So I had a very nice pint of porter, some cheeses, a pickled chilli and a double album. Seriously, what a place. I’ll be honest I’ve deliberately stayed in Bradford tonight for that, a curry, and a walk around the excellent Victorian stonework. Its like a little hidden gem AND its still got a football stadium buried in the middle of the city in amongst the houses and shops.

Then I’ve popped out to the outskirts, to Saltaire and started wondering what house prices were like. Reckon I could live there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Not too sure why you've had to drop the phrase 'traditional men' in your reply because bands like Garbage, Kitten, Hole, Elastica also fall into the same bracket. The bands I named originally were jusy the first few that came into my head. 

I don't want to watch Central Cee or Lizzo. I actually like a bit of each of their music, but it's just not the same as seeing a proper band, all playing instruments, with the crowd singing every lyric back to them. 

• Like 1

Â