VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not so much these days, but I know I’ve heard people refer to “the stones” and it’s quickly become apparent they’re referred to the stone roses, not the rolling variety.

Anyone with half a brain shortened that to the Roses

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

their best song, followed by great beyond for me

what's maybe surprising is I'm sure they're their 2 most successful songs in the UK

Yes, those two probably occupy my top two favourites of theirs as it happens.

A quick look at the chart history suggests E bow the letter was also a big hit. That would be up there for me too.

Shiny Happy People was also a top ten hit here. I probably wouldn’t put that up there.

In case anyone wants to know the worst thing REM ever did, I can show you. 

My copy of In Time, their greatest hits from 1988 - 2003. Front cover and side.

IMG_8860.jpeg.d28fe073a364ba68eaadf037e30c7f99.jpeg

I’ve been living twenty bloody years with this typo. Bastards.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

1988 - 2003 according to the front of the album.

1998 - 2003 according to the side.

Chripes, I never notice that after looking at it a few times. I'll check my copy when I get home :D 

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Chripes, I never notice that after looking at it a few times. I'll check my copy when I get home :D 

Thanks if you could, I have spent a couple of decades half wondering if it’s just me with a copy that has this mistake or, more likely, how widespread this misprint was :thumb:

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Thank if you could, I have spent a couple of decades half wondering if it’s just me with a copy that has this mistake or, more likely, how widespread this misprint was :thumb:

That appears to have the front cover of the Double CD version but the back and spine card of the single.

Is it a double CD as the front indicates or a single?

The double should have an orange rear and spine

MTUtMTEyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

OC0yOTM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

1 hour ago, bickster said:

That appears to have the front cover of the Double CD version but the back and spine card of the single.

Is it a double CD as the front indicates or a single?

The double should have an orange rear and spine

MTUtMTEyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

OC0yOTM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Just the single CD version. I actually didn’t know there was a double disc version.

The back of the album looks like the second, darker, non orange backing (but with the aforementioned 1998 error on the spines).

Edit - the sticker on the front says that the album is available as a special two disc edition as you state, I’ve just never read that sticker properly before.

But the sticker is saying the album is also available as a special edition, not that it is the special edition. Regardless, doesn’t explain why it says 1998 on the spines. The work experience lad at Warner Brothers hadn’t perfected his proof reading yet, I suppose.

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Nah, my liking of REM went much further than that into their catalogue. I get what you mean about the peaks, for example I'll never put Green on but the first few and last few albums I still play, occasionally. The less over-produced early albums and the later albums with the more experimental don't give a f*** this is our art and where we're at now albums still get a whirl from time to time

Maybe it's Scott Litt's production you don't like?

Yes, exactly, the Litt era is when I stopped listening. I never bothered with anything after Life’s Rich Pageant, but even that seemed a drop from Fables, which many hate but is my favorite REM. All the swampy twang and dark jangle and impressionistic lyrics of the early years seemed to get tidied up or just seemed forced and self-important. How could it not? Stipe was an art student shy kid who suddenly was not. He had to grow. The early poses were played out. Can’t just stagnate.

I met Mike Mills in 1985 — super down to earth guy, easygoing, accessible. 

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bob Zimmerman changed his name to Dylan after reading Dylan Thomas poetry. So what comes round, goes round and all that.

I keeping trying to imagine if there was internet and SEO in 1961 and how there probably wouldn’t have been a 60s if so. I like how Bob Dylan actually read great poetry by a drunken Welsh genius.

This new Dylan seems like another in a long line of well-heeled, attractive young English singers who pretend to be working class lads and lasses and write poisonously stupid lyrics — and make millions. Probably waiting on the film/television offers now …

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I met Mike Mills in 1985 — super down to earth guy, easygoing, accessible. 

I met him (and Bill Berry) in 1984, on their first UK tour. Not just briefly, but a long chat over a few beers. And I agree, absolutely lovely blokes, both of 'em. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

It's entirely different and beyond stupid as a career move. Even if she'd spelled it Dillan, it would have been fine

Even if she waited until he was dead - can't be far off now - then at least she'd be the only gigging and recording Dylan. The 'Beck' saga shows that different generations will have different assumptions about who a name refers to - it'll always default to Jeff for me, but not for most under-40s. Similarly, I automatically think of 'Blue' as a 1970s powerpop outfit, not a 2000s boy band. 

But I imagine it'll take a while before Bob Dylan becomes unknown. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I keeping trying to imagine if there was internet and SEO in 1961 and how there probably wouldn’t have been a 60s if so. I like how Bob Dylan actually read great poetry by a drunken Welsh genius.

This new Dylan seems like another in a long line of well-heeled, attractive young English singers who pretend to be working class lads and lasses and write poisonously stupid lyrics — and make millions. Probably waiting on the film/television offers now …

spacer.png

I’d guess the main difference is the ability to sing, sadly lacking in the 60’s Judas.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

From the TTPYOTS thread - and I’m sure it must have been discussed in depth before, but it’s needle in a haystack conversation, what do people consider to be best the music stream service?

I have a suspicion that this can be interpreted a few ways. 

Purely on a music streaming basis, which by the sounds of it is Spotify (it’s the only one that has its own thread on VT - I think).

Or on a broader level - what’s a better package. So, let’s say Amazon isn’t a better music streamer but you get other things for your subscription - tv, free delivery of tat that I’ve ordered, etc.

Is there a consensus on either front?

Ideally if one was better towards the people making the music - rather than a podcaster that I have no interest in - that would be a consideration. Although in all likelihood there’s a good chance I would buy a physical copy of something I particularly liked anyway.

The only one I have is Bandcamp.

It tends to play the actual music I want and some money goes to artists.

Probably quite slow and expensive to get it up and running from a standing start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I always thought it was coldly cynical of Collins to write that song after he witnessed from afar that one man choosing to just allow that other guy to drown. Most reasonable people would try and help themselves, or at least report it to the police.

Not Phil though, that’s first rate material for a hit song.

Spoiler

Only kidding 

SoupyYearlyAyeaye-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

Â