VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Pavement - now there's band I don't get. I stuck on 23 track compilation that I must have bought ages ago and yeah, Shady Lane and lots of tracks that sound pretty much like Shady Lane

They are OK, I don't hate them, I just don't get their popularity, I've seen plenty of bands third on the bill that are as good and make a similar sound

One of those that are just not for me I think

This surprises me, genuine surprise. Don't get me wrong they dont feature in my top 50 bands or anything, but for my money they have a significant number of stone cold classics. A few world beaters in that as well, Range Life/Cut Your Hair. I thought they would be up your street.

I would say their first three albums are as good as anything produced by an american in 90-95 (edit. thats a **** foolish statement and happy to have it taken apart)

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

On 27/06/2023 at 21:02, Davkaus said:

I've never really got the fuss about the foo fighters. They just seem like the blandest and most generic airtime filling, safe radio rock band

Give me brmc every time.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think there was an acoustic version, but this is electric.

Howl is definitely the stripped down Accoustic(y) one

Anyway, I liked that and the two before it but thought they reverted to the style of the first two too much after that and lost interest in them a bit. If anything Howl is my favourite of the first three

• Like 1

Had to laugh at the Guardian review of their new album a few weeks back that was essentially "it's too chlled... 3/5".

I mean, it's Sigur Ros, what the **** did they expect? :lol:

• Haha 2

Listening to a record of music from ‘65, that I bought new in ‘83. 

So, music that was 18 years old and it was from a genuinely differently time. It felt at the time like we were re discovering something from history.

Yet, it’s the equivalent of some kid over the last few weeks discovering … The Foo Fighters and Gorillaz.

• Like 1

Deep Elm Records currently running a 48-hour name your price on their entire digital back catalogue: https://deepelmdigital.com/

Some great stuff on there including The Appleseed Cast, who to this day I am baffled once came to Basingstoke to play the piddly little dive of a music venue we used to have.

Managed a vinyl session with the kids this morning

Forgot how awesome Disc 1 side A of daft punk discovery is

Also listened to King's of Leon come around sundown, I think their later stuff is OK and usually gets harsh criticism, CAS is good album, then I put youth and young manhood on... Yeah it's different class

Just seen Generation Sex emerging from The Hotel Du Vin.

Still attracting quite a crowd but mainly a lot of people wondering why all these people want albums signing by these old men. 😂😂

33 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

In that Canterbury, wife has given me free rain/rein/reign in a record shop, I know I will spend ages in there and come out with nothing. 

Never let the missus know you are buying records, they will let you in a way that guilt trip you into not buying records.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

In that Canterbury, wife has given me free rain/rein/reign in a record shop, I know I will spend ages in there and come out with nothing. 

I’m in Winchester also supporting local businesses…

’Elephant’ is small but perfectly formed and with a very good stereo. I have just been talking to the owner and with the use of his exceptionally good stereo system we have agreed De La Soul are quite good.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m in Winchester also supporting local businesses…

’Elephant’ is small but perfectly formed and with a very good stereo. I have just been talking to the owner and with the use of his exceptionally good stereo system we have agreed De La Soul are quite good.

are you high and still getting higher?

Â