VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Nothing bought. Nothing for my particular tastes. Word on the street that a charity shop in Whitstable caters heavily for some one like me so off there tomorrow or the day after. 

• Like 1

I've had enough trouble for years realising that when people talked about the musician 'Beck', they didn't mean THE Beck (i.e. Jeff). Now I discover some lass is calling herself 'Dylan'. (It's not her real name). What next? Punk poet 'Hendrix'? Post-rock minimalist 'Springsteen'?

Seems like a very bad strategy from the point of view of Google searches, quite apart from anything else. 

Anyway, I look forward to her covers of 'Positively 4th Street' and ' Mister Tambourine Man'...

Screenshot_2023-07-11-17-33-33-92_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I've had enough trouble for years realising that when people talked about the musician 'Beck', they didn't mean THE Beck (i.e. Jeff). Now I discover some lass is calling herself 'Dylan'. (It's not her real name). What next? Punk poet 'Hendrix'? Post-rock minimalist 'Springsteen'?

Seems like a very bad strategy from the point of view of Google searches, quite apart from anything else. 

Anyway, I look forward to her covers of 'Positively 4th Street' and ' Mister Tambourine Man'...

Screenshot_2023-07-11-17-33-33-92_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

On 24/02/2022 at 15:07, Seat68 said:

This is perplexing. There is a female singer, she goes by a specific name that's not her own name, not connected to her name. She performs under the name of Dylan. 

That takes some willful shooting yourself in the foot to perform under a name that is synonymous with a specific performer. Just from a search perspective, you aren't going to make the top results, but this is where it gets a little more perplexing. "Dylan singer" does return her, almost at the top. I suspect she has an excellent SEO company working for her.

I have no clue why you would do that as an artist. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Nothing bought. Nothing for my particular tastes. Word on the street that a charity shop in Whitstable caters heavily for some one like me so off there tomorrow or the day after. 

Defo the case a couple of years ago, but it wasn’t so much the actual charity shop, they’d sub let a ‘nook’ and the guy had a fair bit of country, rockabilly, 2 tone and reggae and a little dub.

I’d just spent over £100 on fish n chips and was very much encouraged to go and have some me time therapy whilst the rest of them sat on the shingles.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

About a metre or thereabouts.

The represses are probably better than the original. Original press was a bit groove jammed on a single album. A rare instance of a single album being repressed as a double that was probably worthwhile.

Having said that my original first press vinyl is still in very good condition (the cover not so much). I haven’t checked but I presume 1st presses are reducing in value these days (which means they probably aren’t)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Check out those plums…

spacer.png

You know those albums that were the soundtrack to a certain part of your life? 

Stourbridge College 88-89.

3ft High and Rising (De La Soul)

Takes a Nation of Millions (PE)

Eight Legged Groove Machine (Wonder Stuff)

Napalm Death (Scum)

Yeah them, on repeat via vinyl or my frankly shite Walkman.

• Like 3

I've been realising lately that there are a ton of huge bands I used to admire from the 1980s and 90s that I actually just can't stand today, and I'm not sure why. I don't even like their cooler, early stuff. It's like the oversaturation of their peaks ruined it all for me. REM, U2, Nirvana, and many others. I was never crazy about U2 and Nirvana, but I loved the first three REM lps. It's weird how some stuff you think will really hold up over time doesn't. 

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

but I loved the first three REM lps

Nah, my liking of REM went much further than that into their catalogue. I get what you mean about the peaks, for example I'll never put Green on but the first few and last few albums I still play, occasionally. The less over-produced early albums and the later albums with the more experimental don't give a f*** this is our art and where we're at now albums still get a whirl from time to time

Maybe it's Scott Litt's production you don't like?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, my liking of REM went much further than that into their catalogue. I get what you mean about the peaks, for example I'll never put Green on but the first few and last few albums I still play, occasionally. The less over-produced early albums and the later albums with the more experimental don't give a f*** this is our art and where we're at now albums still get a whirl from time to time

Maybe it's Scott Litt's production you don't like?

Green is not exactly the cut off point but it's my most loved, most played and the one I return to the most. After Green I loved each album but it dipped a few percent with every release. Before Green I loved them but not wholly. 

• Haha 1

Automatic for the People, as uncool as saying it is, is their best album. Before that they have good albums with a few great songs, with that uniquely US college band edge of no production, then Litt gets involved and they develop a sound that peaks with Automatic, and after that they start to vary wildly on a generally downward trend (Monster is weaker but still has some great songs, New Adventures... bumps back up but has a very different vibe, Up has some great singles but it's also clearly the album a band struggling would make when messing with new stuff and dealing with personnel change, Reveal is solid largely because it's them making their early 90s sound with the stuff they'd learned since but the weak stuff on it is tragic, Around the Sun is tired with decent lyrics but no life, Accelerate is a band going '**** it, let's bang this one out' and as a result is really energised and fun if not 'great', and Collapse into Now is a wet fart ending).

Which all combines to make REM a very good 'best of' band as well as a great album band. But as with many 'worthy' bands that also get commercial success, the albums that get the commercial success get a sniffy reception later.

• Like 1

I like Daysleeper, and At My Most Beautiful is one of the few straight forward love songs I actually like.. But Up generally is just... bleh - the songs are forced somehow, the shift to more electronic stuff isn't seamless, etc. It isn't bad but it's firmly in the bottom half of their discography.

55 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bob Zimmerman changed his name to Dylan after reading Dylan Thomas poetry. So what comes round, goes round and all that.

Well no, not really. Dylan Thomas and Bob Dylan are entirely different names and artists in entirely different fields of artistry. There is no confusing them

Dylan (as in Bob) is known a lot for brevity by his chosen stage surname, this female artists has chosen that name as her stage name, they operate in the same field of art and are both currently active as musicians.

It's entirely different and beyond stupid as a career move. Even if she'd spelled it Dillan, it would have been fine

It's like calling a band The Stones (I presume some idiot has already done that)

Also what goes around doesn't come around because Dylan isn't going to be harmed in anyway, its the much lesser known artist thats losing out here, It's an act of self harm

• Like 2

Â