2021/22 expectations

Jareth

I thought we would make x2 more £30 mill signings - however, given what's happened with JWP and maybe what happened with ESR, it looks like we've found a level where we have the money but we don't have the pull. Therefore I've adjusted expectations from a wild challenge for Europe to a transitional season were we have to find a new way to win games. Fortunately there are many games ahead so there is time. If we can spend this season using our squad to the full, once they've gelled, and get to see a break out season for Chukky and others, and finish near where we did last season, then it's all gravy. Especially as we'd have a more than decent transfer budget next Jan/Summer. And what's most important going forwards is - no more buy-out clauses. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I thought we would make x2 more £30 mill signings - however, given what's happened with JWP and maybe what happened with ESR, it looks like we've found a level where we have the money but we don't have the pull.

I’m not sure about that. I’d imagine there are a large number of players that are between McGinn, Nakamba etc and Ward-Prowse / Smith Rowe.

Yes we haven’t been able to attract the two that you’ve mentioned, but there are plenty of other players of a similar standard that I think we could attract. We managed to sign Bailey and Ings this summer. If you had told me that at the start of the window I’d have said that you were off your tits.

wait, wasnt the "relegation thread" locked and the reason given "its too early to ascertain if we will be in a relegation fight"????

on that basis, shouldn't this be locked also!?!?

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why is it? Where do you think this current squad finishes?

We were 27 points from relegation and 7 from Europe last season.

I don't see it swinging massively in the other direction

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’ll be closer to relegation than Europe with our current side I’m afraid.

Lot of work to be done on the first XI before we think about Europe.

Didn't realize how addicted you are to the endorphin rush of a new signing. What happens if we don't make another one. You just gonna mope around in every thread for the whole season?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

There's no way this current side qualify for Europe. 

We need more incoming quality signings and that's looking a dubious proposition at the moment. 

I know West Ham over performed last year, but are we that much worse than their squad last year? Europe is really unlikely but it is possible 

Â