2021/22 expectations

Jareth

We scored 55 league goals last season. From previous seasons you need to get closer to 70 to get Europe. 

My target setting would be the top 4 score last seasons goals on their own:

Ings 18

Watkins 15

Bailey 12

Buendia 12

We would be be in for a great season.

Bailey has never scored double figures in a season and was a 'one goal in just over four games' man at Leverkusen so if he gets to double figures that would do nicely.

This past week, McGinn, Martinez, Tuanzebe and Konsa have given interviews where they've said that this season is all about getting into Europe.

I think that Grealish leaving may have alarmed the owners to the fact that the best players at the club won't wait around forever to play at the highest level and they've since emphasised to the players the importance of finishing in the European places otherwise there may have to be further player changes required to try to get to where they want us to be. 

Hopefully, this will be the season where we reach Europe and attract even better quality players next summer. 

• Like 1

One of the reasons I think Europe is a push this year is that we've got to integrate a whole new attack, possobly a new shape, with players all over the park who aren't really fit after a very disrupted pre season.

The fixtures were not kind to us in practice - fired up teams with hardly any international players. By the time we might get any kind of rhythm, we're into a really tough run of games. 

We'll be fine with the players we hav, but it might take a few months to really get going. Top half would be a great result. 

Any one saying we'll smash these in a pre match thread or we'll get 6th needs to give their head a wobble

Unrealistic 

We'll be horribly inconsistent all season again 

Enjoy the wins, accept what we are, getting angry at a mid table team is futile, the whole "ruined weekend" stuff needs to be knocked on the head 

The Newcastle and Brentford games are now massive. We need two wins. Draws or defeats in either and then we will get smashed by Chelsea and Everton who actually have manager who can make their side tough to beat and we're looking at 2-3 points from those 5 openers. 

God I love July. When you can actually live in fantasy land. 

On 13/08/2021 at 15:50, BOF said:

Bailey has never scored double figures in a season and was a 'one goal in just over four games' man at Leverkusen so if he gets to double figures that would do nicely.

You've never seen my FM saves.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

The Newcastle and Brentford games are now massive. We need two wins. Draws or defeats in either and then we will get smashed by Chelsea and Everton who actually have manager who can make their side tough to beat and we're looking at 2-3 points from those 5 openers. 

God I love July. When you can actually live in fantasy land. 

If we don't get a win against Newcastle and Brentford we could be in big trouble.

I know it's early but momentum and confidence is so crucial.

VP could very quickly turn toxic. We just need to get a win these 2 next games. I don't care how.

On 13/08/2021 at 22:38, Villarocker said:

This past week, McGinn, Martinez, Tuanzebe and Konsa have given interviews where they've said that this season is all about getting into Europe.

I think that Grealish leaving may have alarmed the owners to the fact that the best players at the club won't wait around forever to play at the highest level and they've since emphasised to the players the importance of finishing in the European places otherwise there may have to be further player changes required to try to get to where they want us to be. 

Hopefully, this will be the season where we reach Europe and attract even better quality players next summer. 

Agreed. Saturday will have underlined that imo. UTV.

On 13/08/2021 at 22:38, Villarocker said:

Yes thats a good shout. I think thats why our big money has been spent on 'ready to go players' 

Got to say rising 5 places without Jack looks a massive ask IMO. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

If, and it is a big if, we can get the right formation we have players who can tear this league up making Europe more than achievable

Well that doesn't sound good though does it?

We are still experimenting and trying to find the best formation. During the season. We have no clue what our best eleven or what our best formation is.

You should know how to play. As a manager your system and formation should be permanent, and shouldn't change just because you signed Ings. You shouldn't adapt to your players. The players should adapt to you.

The pre season is for practicing patterns of play in your system and formation and gaining fitness.

In Pre season we played 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2. It's just a mess and I reckon confusing to the players.

Edited by villalad21

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well that doesn't sound good though does it?

We are still experimenting and trying to find the best formation. During the season. We have no clue what our best eleven or what our best formation is.

You should know how to play. As a manager your system and formation should be permanent, and shouldn't change just because you signed Ings. You shouldn't adapt to your players. The players should adapt to you.

The pre season is for practicing patterns of play in your system and formation and gaining fitness.

In Pre season we played 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2. It's just a mess and I reckon confusing to the players.

indeed signing a 20 goal a season striker - seems to have set us back whilst we accommodate him.

The upheaval in the coaching staff hasn't helped either. Makes me wonder who is pulling the strings here.

Â