2021/22 expectations

Jareth

9 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Feeling extra pessimistic tonight for various reasons, so, 15th, 40% average possession, most shots faced of any non-relegated side. Em1, Ollie, Dougie and maybe Ezri gone next Summer.

Prove me wrong, Deano!

eh what, this is some of the biggest bullshit I have ever read because we didnt sign a player on transfer deadline day. a day for unorganized clubs to make panic signings

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We must win the Papa Johns Trophy. Its been 25 years of hurts since we last won a trophy. The Papa Johns cup tops the 1982 European cup.

European Cup was average, we won the big one

Aston Villa skipper John Terry adds another trophy to his haul… the Cup of  Traditions after beating Hertha Berlin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Anywhere between 10th and 14th is acceptable. Top 9 would be incredible. Below 14th would be devastating.

I think this is about right.

Get this feeling now with JG gone its more about consolidation and getting experience into some of the youth players. We should get around 50-55 points and whatever that brings.

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Anywhere between 10th and 14th is acceptable. Top 9 would be incredible. Below 14th would be devastating.

This is where I'm at, though I'd only call anything below 17th 'devastating'.

Feel that we will probably take half a season to settle the squad due to injuries/internationals/poor pre season/changes in coaching staff.

I can't see us not getting top 10. Leeds will have second season syndrome and they've done okish business. We should have ended ahead of them last season really. 

Arsenal have a lot of turmoil right now so we could end above them easily.

Everton haven't spent a penny to improve their squad. 

West Ham have a thin squad for tackling European football and the Prem. Zouma and Vlasic with losing Lingard. If they get a few injuries I can see them having a bad 2nd half of the season

Spurs have had a good window, Leicester have done good business too so would expect them to be the top 6 sides.

From the bottom half, the gap back to Palace, Southampton et el won't be bridged by those teams to leapfrog us. 

So we've to leap ahead of one of those 4 teams above us. I can't see us not doing that to at least one or two of them. 8th to 10th and 59 points is my expectation.

Matching last years place looks like a success to me for this season. We're still a couple of players short of being top 8. 

I'm sure the money is there but this is an organic process and you cant just bring 5-6 new players into your team at the same time and expect instant results. The problem is that without European football or a top 10 finish how are we going to attract these players?

9th - 11th

Missed opportunity this summer.  

Now summer is settled though, I’m looking forward to an exciting but solid consolidation season in midtable, which is still great progression in my eyes.  Then build further the following season.

Edited by nick76

5 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I think this is about right.

Get this feeling now with JG gone its more about consolidation and getting experience into some of the youth players. We should get around 50-55 points and whatever that brings.

We won’t be dropping places with 50-55 points. More likely to move up places with that tally.

8 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Feeling extra pessimistic tonight for various reasons, so, 15th, 40% average possession, most shots faced of any non-relegated side. Em1, Ollie, Dougie and maybe Ezri gone next Summer.

Prove me wrong, Deano!

Would be interesting to know from people predicting that we’ll drop places, which teams are overtaking us and why? Because it would take at least a ten point gap being closed on last season for any team to do this.

Edited by tomsky_11

5 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Would be interesting to know from people predicting that we’ll drop places, which teams are overtaking us and why? Because it would take at least a ten point gap being closed on last season for any team to do this.

Wolves, Brighton are the moste likely to pick up more points than last season IMO. If that is enough to push them ahead of us in another matter. Could see us picking up fewer points than last season tbh but the same goes for Leeds, Arsenal and probably some other teams who were ahead of us.

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can't see us not getting top 10. Leeds will have second season syndrome and they've done okish business. We should have ended ahead of them last season really. 

Arsenal have a lot of turmoil right now so we could end above them easily.

Everton haven't spent a penny to improve their squad. 

West Ham have a thin squad for tackling European football and the Prem. Zouma and Vlasic with losing Lingard. If they get a few injuries I can see them having a bad 2nd half of the season

Spurs have had a good window, Leicester have done good business too so would expect them to be the top 6 sides.

From the bottom half, the gap back to Palace, Southampton et el won't be bridged by those teams to leapfrog us. 

So we've to leap ahead of one of those 4 teams above us. I can't see us not doing that to at least one or two of them. 8th to 10th and 59 points is my expectation.

59 points would be incredible. I just can't see it.

I know we have injuries but we haven't looked much good v anyone yet.

36 minutes ago, sne said:

10th - 13th is likely where we'll end up. That's OK.

10th I think is the realistic target. Finishing lower than that will likely be a problem for Deano - though I hope not. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

With a first choice XI on the field we could be a very good side, until we’ve seen that it’s hard to say how good we are! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Injuries and fitness. Everyone bar Trez should be back in a week or two though.

Furthermore we will improve as the season goes where other teams (like say West Ham) could fall away with a few injuries. So a reverse of last season for both us and West Ham.

Â