2021/22 expectations

Jareth

55 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Smith used to be awful at substitutions. He always left them too late and then very often (imo) made the wrong player substitution. He improved last season and made subs earlier in a game. But when we are not 'in the game' he tends to take too long to change things around. Hopefully, with more strength in depth we will see him try a few more changes mid game. Also, with Jack gone we no longer have to have a game plan centred around Jack. This may give Smith a little more freedom to try something new.

There is hope I think. End of last season at Spurs, 2-1 up with 20 minutes left. We had to take G****ish off given his lack of 90 minute fitness and obviously that's something DS would never ever do in normal circumstances. We put Luiz on for him and comfortably saw the game out so hopefully that's a little pointer to the manager he dosen't need to flog our first choice 11 to death week in week out to try to get some victories v top half teams.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It does suggest it but if one looked a bit deeper in to the stats that you posted then maybe it might not be as big a problem. For example how in total how many points could we possibly have accumulated from losing positions? I don't have the stats to hand but for example, if the total amount of points available from losing positions was 9 (it is most likely a lot more) then 5 points is a fantastic return.

Also you have to consider at what point the team went behind. Was it in the 1st or 90th minute? United have a great record but they nearly always conceded an early goal before waking up. It was a marked trend in a lot of their matches.

We were pretty good frontrunners for first 6 months and then started throwing away a few leads although many of those were v top teams like Liverpool and Man. United, both games we were 1 up at half time.

Annoying ones though are games like Sheffield United, 1 down and have 40 minutes to score v 10 men but never come close. Also Leicester at home, 2-0 down after 20 minutes but scored around half time so had enough time to get a point but never really looked likely. Fulham at home stood out because it so rarely happens we come back from 1 down with twenty left and actually get a win, hopefully we can do it 4-5 times this season.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Thanks for posting. It it nice data to see.

I think there maybe an error in that. As per your previous post we won 8 points W2D2 from losing positions, that shows 7 points W2D1. 

No error. We scored first against WBA and still gained points from a losing position.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Your data is incorrect. Not that we were brilliant. But we gained 8pts from losing positions last season.

Chelsea 1-1 (1pt)
Fulham 3-1 (3pts)
WBA 2-2 (1pt)
Spurs 2-1 (3pts)

Yeah Spurs win was good but I assume the stats for that table are losing at half time/getting something at full time although Fulham game was 0-0 at HT so perhaps not!

It's something we need to get better at anyway if we want to progress further, just look at that table and see a relegated team like West Brom get 12 points from losing positions.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah Spurs win was good but I assume the stats for that table are losing at half time/getting something at full time although Fulham game was 0-0 at HT so perhaps not!

It's something we need to get better at anyway if we want to progress further, just look at that table and see a relegated team like West Brom get 12 points from losing positions.

The table is a double edged sword though, as it has the ability to favour sides who always find themselves trailing. To use an F1 analogy, Lewis Hamilton is probably bottom of the 'cars overtaken' table this year.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

No error. We scored first against WBA and still gained points from a losing position.

Got you. I wasn't considering games we took the lead and went on to concede the lead and then come back 😀

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

They've just smashed our club record signing on a cb. They've extended the deal of a player we wanted to replace Jack. They've still got some class players in that team. They're not a top 4 team but they're still a very strong top half team. Overtaking them will be a challenge. 

Spurs are a strange one. They could potentially be a disaster this season.

Bang on.

Arsenal really aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

I think they were something like 3rd or 2nd in the 2021 form table.

Arsenal are likely to finish above us but that has nothing to do with our progress.

Progress for us is to finish better than 11th. Spurs and Arsenal finishing above us is irrelevant as long as we meet our target.

I get it though. AFTV in a meltdown is always hilarious and we would all love to finish above them but take all banter aside they are still a solid top half team.

4 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Going by Smith's "18 months away" comment and Mings' and Martinez's interviews, the players and coaches expect Europe. That's all that matters.

Better than 11th would be good enough progress for me.

Success is a process not an event.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Better than 11th would be good enough progress for me.

Success is a process not an event.

Me too, but I think the squad realizes to keep everyone and sign the next level of players we need to be in Europe. Likes of Martinez and Konsa may leave without Europe. 

Interesting that so many from the outside are predicting us to finish in the European places.

Think a lot of neutrals will tune in to watch us this season.

People are genuinely excited to watch this lot, and not only Villa fans.

Good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is that it will give the team more traffic and recognition. The bad thing is it can add to the pressure to perform.

Edited by villalad21

I think we going to do alright, not quite Top 6, but the same as last season or top half, with positive signs for the future. 

The only thing that’s going to hinder us is the “bedding in” period

Not just the new players, but the new system. The system that works for each other and not one man. 

Now, we are a full team, with depth and options. There are some exciting players across the pitch. The youngsters getting game time. Two top class strikers, new captain. I’m excited to see what the new Villa will turn in to. 

bring it on

We are looking like we will be a very attacking side, with pace and flair. Hopefully the defensive aspect holds firm. 

Counterattacking teams might pose a problem though. 

of the teams around us last year, finishing ahead of everton, west ham must be aimed for, with arsenal and spurs also very achievably done too. This is a big year, an invested squad which wants to compete at the top end, with no european football either.  Top 8 has to be the target. 

Â