Breakaway League

Jareth

5 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Perhaps if FFP was scrapped teams with rich owners like us could afford to buy Messi or Ronaldo in their prime and give some money to the paupers like Barca and Real. 

Alas they created a rule to stop us spending beyond our means and somehow thet are all in massive debt.

No sympathy from me although I do agree state owned clubs have an unfair advantage!

Yep, I couldn't feel less sympathy for them. 

They worked with UEFA to create this pulled up drawbridge style FFP system linked to revenue and not debt/liabilities and now they've screwed themselves. Nobody forced them to spend money they didn't have to try to maintain their dominant status as the price of football skyrocketed around them. 

UEFA will no doubt give them a slap on the wrist, but they should absolutely be adjusting FFP to something more sustainable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Looking forward to the Netflix limited series. 3 Days in April. 

It'll need to be filmed in real time to make it a decent series 👍

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

was apparently for about half the price as well 

That's what I seem to remember. And that's how these clubs have operated. They even knew they were up shits creek in debt and chose to ignore it still. They really deserve bankrupcy.

13 hours ago, sne said:

ARGH!

Mainstream media etc aren't talking about this shit enough.

STOP gaslighting us into thinking you were/are doing this for the fans!

It's driving me crazy. They're insisting this is what fans want. NOBODY wants this, or the CL reforms, that is a fan.

Yeah yeah they're talking about new fans. I don't buy it. Football is the most popular sport on the planet. 

It's about money. Stop pretending you're doing it for us. If anyone gave a shit about the fans they'd have at least been consulted about it!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

ARGH!

Mainstream media etc aren't talking about this shit enough.

STOP gaslighting us into thinking you were/are doing this for the fans!

It's driving me crazy. They're insisting this is what fans want. NOBODY wants this, or the CL reforms, that is a fan.

Yeah yeah they're talking about new fans. I don't buy it. Football is the most popular sport on the planet. 

It's about money. Stop pretending you're doing it for us. If anyone gave a shit about the fans they'd have at least been consulted about it!

And neither does the players

• Like 1

The only 2 things I agree with the breakaway 12 is that wages are  generally unsustainable and the proposed CL reforms are not going to improve audience figures by having more pointless group matches. However by then just announcing that they wanted to up sticks and invent their own league with their own rules and take all the money was disgusting.

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The only 2 things I agree with the breakaway 12 is that wages are  generally unsustainable and the proposed CL reforms are not going to improve audience figures by having more pointless group matches. However by then just announcing that they wanted to up sticks and invent their own league with their own rules and take all the money was disgusting.

Looking a few days on I agree that potential is there. Problem was the criteria and rules, a league system like the Nations League could work though extremely complicated with Villa in a group with Villarreal, Sampdoria and Slavia Prague and winning the division gets us up. Dont put it past UEFA trying something similar 

The way they went about and with the teams they picked actually lost some credibility like Arsenal and Spurs

I feel UEFA are in a bit of a pickle. If they don't hand out the punishments every single club in Europe is calling for, the existence of UEFA is under threat. There really is no point to keep the organisation.

At the same time I bet they aren't interested in handing out punishments, and would gladly brush this under the carpet if given the chance.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I feel UEFA are in a bit of a pickle. If they don't hand out the punishments every single club in Europe is calling for, the existence of UEFA is under threat. There really is no point to keep the organisation.

At the same time I bet they aren't interested in handing out punishments, and would gladly brush this under the carpet if given the chance.

I agree. I see a minimal fine and a suspended European ban

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

And neither does the players

I hope this becomes a bigger story. The players should make themselves heard about the congestion of matches. The UEFA increases the number of games in the CL, but lets not forget their recent invention of the nations league, another competition nobody asked for. The European Cup used to be 16 teams, now it's 24. it's harder to find a country that is not participating than it is to find one that is. That all adds up for many of the players.

At the same time, the players are part of the problem with their ever increasing wage demands. Clubs need extra games to fund these wages. 

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ceferin says UEFA are meeting next week and the teams will face consequences. Interesting but UEFA credibility is on the line 

i'd love them to get a european ban. no chance of it happening though

Â