Breakaway League

Jareth

I’d love to know how much these clubs spent getting this project off the ground (briefly). I bet there’s a few million each wasted.

Part of me is a bit disappointed it’s collapsed as the more I think about it the more I think it would fail.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d love to know how much these clubs spent getting this project off the ground (briefly). I bet there’s a few million each wasted.

Part of me is a bit disappointed it’s collapsed as the more I think about it the more I think it would fail.

Yeah even if UEFA/FIFA might not hand out any major fines it would be nice if the clubs were forced to pony up money to the investors for breach of contract.

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'd love them to get a european ban. no chance of it happening though

personally I prefer a transfer ban because Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Barcelona, Juventus all need to strengthen the squads this summer and a 2 year ban I think would make a few managers walk out

Spurs for example wouldnt be able to attract a half decent manager

Edited by Zatman

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

yet didnt spend a cent on marketing or PR :D

I have created custom leagues on PES with better presentation than this

• Haha 2

"What is the cost of lies? It's not that we'll mistake them for the truth. The real danger is that if we hear enough lies, then we no longer recognise the truth at all."

I think Perez, Laporte and a number of the others involved are living in a world that's a lie they've created and developed and wrapped around themselves to the point they can't see anything else.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The only 2 things I agree with the breakaway 12 is that wages are  generally unsustainable and the proposed CL reforms are not going to improve audience figures by having more pointless group matches. 

It's like the old balance of terror. If club A buy a player for £50m, then club B need a £60m player. And when there are enough clubs to cover the entire alphabet many times, then obviously the result is that money flow through these clubs like prune juice.

It's a problem that in itself is easy to solve. Limit the spending through a wage cap. Problem is that they don't want that solution as it means competition is open for everyone. So we have FFP which will limit spending with a link to the turnover. Which means big clubs can spend more than small. With the SL it will boost their turnover, make them sustainable and make them untouchable. Within FFP.

It reminds me very much of the empathy gap monoply game experiment. 

They will be back, so action is required now. Now it's 14 clubs vs 6 clubs. Next time it could be 12 vs 8 or 10 vs 10. They will share with as few as possible, but as many as necessary.

Edited by Silent_Bob
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

Looking forward to the Netflix limited series. 3 Days in April. 

8 hours ago, dubbs said:

It'll need to be filmed in real time to make it a decent series 👍

They should get Zac Snyder to film it. With his use of slo-mo it should just about make standalone length.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They should get Zac Snyder to film it. With his use of slo-mo it should just about make standalone length.

If anything like the Justice League we wont hear the end of it for 5 more years 😂

It's sounding like the PL has no interest in punishing these clubs other than removing certain individuals from committees, which doesn't seem like much punishment at all. 

These clubs need to feel pain and their owners need to lose money. Anything less and there is no deterrent to them trying this again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicho said:

Edit: and to add to this, 3rd place should not drop into the europa and the europa should not be the exact same format. A straight unseeded knockout cope ala the FA cup would make that way more entertaining and less of a strain on the clubs trying to compete in their domestic leagues. It’s almost as if the europa is designed to keep clubs challenging the tops ones down.

Have the domestic cup winner (League Cup in England) from every European nation go into a straight 32 team knockout (lowest seeds playoff first). Bring the cup winners cup back!

19 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's sounding like the PL has no interest in punishing these clubs other than removing certain individuals from committees, which doesn't seem like much punishment at all. 

These clubs need to feel pain and their owners need to lose money. Anything less and there is no deterrent to them trying this again. 

I really don't think fans will let this lie if there aren't punishments.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I really don't think fans will let this lie if there aren't punishments.

what are the fans going to do though? really? are 1000s of us really going to go to VP every time we play one of these teams with banners? and other teams around the country going to do the same?

no doubt they should be punished...but aside from us all whinging on VT there really wont be much in the way of protests

Â