Breakaway League

Jareth

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looking forward to Boris’ next tweet.

Expecting the Duke of Edinburgh to rise from the grave and his 10p’s worth at this rate. 

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Do you really need to ask? :)

Just glanced at his profile and he has 10,00 followers and says he's a sport corespondent for the Economist.

I honestly don't know whats real anymore 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheAuthority

I think the people saying "just let them go" aren't really thinking of the knock on effects of this. It would seriously, seriously weaken domestic football. It's an utter joke.

• Like 2

And another thing. 

As soon as they get this how many games will they actually play in their home stadiums? 

They will start with 1 round of games overseas.  Then it will be 2 then 3 rounds. 

Maybe eventually they will just play their entire league globally.  Like F1 invite various countries to build a super stadium and pay to host matches. 

Game week 1 Manchester United, Real Madrid in Dubai.  Game week 2 Manchester United v Liverpool in Singapore.  Game week 3 Manchester United v Manchester City in New York.  Game week 4 Manchester United v Barcelona in Kuala Lumpur etc, all in 120,000 custom built stadiums. 

That would be the end game. 

Obviously with Arsenal and Tottenham finishing bottom 2 every year. 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the people saying "just let them go" aren't really thinking of the knock on effects of this. It would seriously, seriously weaken domestic football. It's an utter joke.

Yes those teams 'going' wouldn't bother me.

But it would increase their revenue and block ours ....would ambitious owners stick around ?

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yes those teams 'going' wouldn't bother me.

But it would increase their revenue and block ours ....would ambitious owners stick around ?

I agree with Stevo that it would have severe knock on effects but I guess you could also make the argument that in this new PL, nowhere near as much "ambition" as it were would be needed, and that as one of the biggest clubs we'd by default probably stand to do better than most.

Although obviously the overall quality would be reduced. Certainly players like Jack wouldn't stick around.

Edited by Mantis

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Wonder how many of their international fans watched us smack 7 goals past them?

They must have been absolutely gutted after that.  Probably totally spoiled their next hour. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I agree with Stevo that it would have severe knock on effects but I guess you could also make the argument that in this new PL, nowhere near as much "ambition" as it were would be needed, and that as one of the biggest clubs we'd by default probably stand to do better than most.

Although obviously the overall quality would be reduced. Certainly players like Jack wouldn't stick around.

Not necessarily. He could earn just as much here, be a locked in starter for the England squad and be much more likely to play Champions league football.

He could leave of course but that would cost any "super" team (or Spurs) well over a hundred million quid.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We know the knock on effect but what is the alternative? Just give them what they want? A closed champions league mid week where they make hundreds of millions to then spend it distorting the domestic league even more?

What would be the point of being their cannon fodder on the weekend, knowing the European places only go to those clubs, regardless of where we finished and we have virtually no chance of winning the title outright? 

Kick them out.

It will gut the club football pyramid of funds but it will be a fair competition. The history books will still record the trophies won, regardless of the quality of the top flight league. Meanwhile the break away teams will never again add a league title, FA Cup or European Cup to their trophy cabinet.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Does anybody actually watch the champions League TV - I find boring to the point of being unwatchable.

I never watch any games.   But countless millions across North America, Africa, Middle East, Far East and Pacific regions do.  That's their target, not Billy from Smethwick. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Not necessarily. He could earn just as much here, be a locked in starter for the England squad and be much more likely to play Champions league football.

He could leave of course but that would cost any "super" team (or Spurs) well over a hundred million quid.

I don't think he'd earn as much here, because there'd be way less money in the PL, but yes the others could happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We know the knock on effect but what is the alternative? Just give them what they want? A closed champions league mid week where they make hundreds of millions to then spend it distorting the domestic league even more?

What would be the point of being their cannon fodder on the weekend, knowing the European places only go to those clubs, regardless of where we finished and we have virtually no chance of winning the title outright? 

Kick them out.

It will gut the club football pyramid of funds but it will be a fair competition. The history books will still record the trophies won, regardless of the quality of the top flight league. Meanwhile the break away teams will never again add a league title, FA Cup or European Cup to their trophy cabinet.  

I agree.  We will have to cut our cloth accordingly but football will carry on, Aston Villa will carry on. It's not that far off being a closed shop at the very top anyway.

Leicester the one anomaly in 30 years. 

Â