Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Sorry, I don't follow? 

We went through the process of being shit and getting relegated - the fans of the supposed big clubs are completely against the notion of not being in Europe, despite them having to essentially almost bankrupt their own clubs to do it.  If you're poorly managed, go through a re-structure, go through a re-build, don't try and run off to a new league with no risk and huge financial backing to the absolute detriment of all the other clubs - deal with being shit for a while! 

We were artificially propped up to give us the best possible chance to return to the top table because being outside of that structure is financially unsustainable. It's certainly not as bad but it's hardly fair either. We directly benefitted from the unfair advantage afforded to relegated teams in that league.

Just now, flamingsombrero said:

We were artificially propped up to give us the best possible chance to return to the top table because being outside of that structure is financially unsustainable. It's certainly not as bad but it's hardly fair either. We directly benefitted from the unfair advantage afforded to relegated teams in that league.

It's something that we contributed towards for something like 25 seasons or so. Swings and roundabouts.

2 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

I'd say the parachute payments don't give you an unfair advantage as such, but more time to reduce your (inevitably) large contracts - it's not so you can just buy all the players you want or need.  The only advantage we had over anyone in the Championship was prestige, allowing us to purchase players who identify Villa as a historically big (Prem ever-present) club - and that we went 25 years in the top league, allowing us to be "larger" than other clubs in the division.

We had creative accountants, a (turned out to be) shit owner and many other variables against us in that league.  

West Brom/Norwich appear to be the master of utilising the parachute payments well, by keeping relatively small contracts to players too good for the championship, but not good enough for the Prem, hence why they come and go so frequently. 

Wigan, Sunderland, Charlton, Ipswich etc all had the same payments, but they didn't utilise them well, which is why they are where they are. 

47 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I want to know which premier League clubs don't want a punishment.

Why. 

If we let them get away with this it's never going to end..make a stand now you gutless freaks

Something tells me West Ham and Newcastle, they just want to be a part of it next time round.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I want to know which premier League clubs don't want a punishment.

Why. 

If we let them get away with this it's never going to end..make a stand now you gutless freaks

I think the other 14 should take advantage of a situation as they clearly were, there is a history of fines and bans to refer back to to be able to set a reasonable punishment. 

100% has to be a punishment though and new rules and regs to benefit the whole of football.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Something tells me West Ham and Newcastle, they just want to be a part of it next time round.

If West Ham get involved in financing the league, all the players would be paid in dildos.

• Haha 2

Why is punishing the club seen as punishing the fans? The club’s not being shut down, god forbid they might have to watch their team struggle for a bit. You never know, they might actually enjoy it.

Edited by a m ole

It's been several times now that I have heard a criticism of the SuperLeague on the basis of not including or fully mentioning their intent for the Women version of the tournament. I don't remember who it was, but one time it was by an ex player.

Now, I am all for equality - but why the hell would you want to drag the good name of the women's game in this shit show. 

If I was a female football activist, I wouldn't be talking about a lack of inclusion - I'd be laughing at these idiot men who can't do anything properly and have put their clubs name in shame. 

Why the hell would you want to have the Women's league anywhere near this coup?

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If West Ham get involved in financing the league, all the players would be paid in dildos.

Might have to lube them up a bit to make them more pliable to the idea.

If these teams aren't at least punished with a points deduction on the basis that "we can't punish the fans for the owners actions" then as far as I'm concerned, we should never see a point deduction happen again in the English game. That argument applies to every scenario where points are deducted from teams. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

But those were the rules we played within.  If parachute payments didn't exist we would have not been handing out such massive wages as we were and not paying such massive signing fees*.  We played within the rules that existed.  We didn't then get relegated and try to change the world football order because we didn't then feel the parachute payments were enough, or to prevent our relegation altogether.

* You would hope

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As I understand it the 50+1 rule just won't work. There's no way fans could raise 51% of the value of a club

Archie Rhind-Tutt, the Guardian’s German football correspondent, when asked if I 50+1 system could work in England yesterday laughed and said ‘that horse bolted many, many years ago’

• Like 1

So why did they pubish Sheffield Wednesday and blose? Their fans didnt do wrong it was the owners so why should these clubs escape punishment. 

It shows what a bunch of pussies they all are. Make an example of them showing consequences when you do idiotic things like this

We don't need the 50+1 rule tbh. We need water tight laws to ensure that the football pyramid in this country cannot be damaged by a few. Owners of football clubs will come and go, some will make mistakes and **** things up, that's life and fans suffer the consequences of those mistakes. We know that all too well, but we also know that things can get better. It's the beauty of the game. 

• Like 1

Anyone who expects serious punishments is a being little bit naive tbh. We all know the reasons why neither FIFA and UEFA, nor the PL will do it. It's the same reason for creating the SL in the first place. 

They'll include some legally questionable texts about severe future repercussions for clubs who try this and that'll be it. In two months no one will even talk about this. Until the next time they try it, but much better prepared, that is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Archie Rhind-Tutt, the Guardian’s German football correspondent, when asked if I 50+1 system could work in England yesterday laughed and said ‘that horse bolted many, many years ago’

No one is saying that fans need to have 51% of the shares, but there needs to be a gradual diversification of the shares. It's not good when the majority share owner is a soulless billionaire. You could for example list the 51% and control who buys them. There's many small to middle size companies who would put substantial money into this, it gives them much more power than sponsorships. Personally I'd probably chuck a few 1000 of my pension at Villa if I could.

2 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Anyone who expects serious punishments is a being little bit naive tbh. We all know the reasons why neither FIFA and UEFA, nor the PL will do it. It's the same reason for creating the SL in the first place. 

They'll include some legally questionable texts about severe future repercussions for clubs who try this and that'll be it. In two months no one will even talk about this. Until the next time they try it, but much better prepared, that is.

Sadly, this will be the true. 

16 minutes ago, Hornso said:

With respect to him, he's not correct if he's talking about practicalities. If he's talking about political will, it's a different story.

Â