Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's the job of Cash and Targett in this system - I can't see us going looking for a winger.

If we are to rely on them.....we need far better....they should both be, back up players.

I do wonder if we will try different combinations with Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Chukwuemeka if that's our attacking players for next 18 months. We might have Traore too, or maybe JPB.

We could do a 1 2 or the 2 1 and work a lot on positional rotation between the group

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Hickey

Ramsey - Zakaria - Sanson

Buendia - Coutinho

Ings

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Hickey

Ramsey - Zakaria - Sanson

Buendia - Coutinho

Ings

Sunglasses GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

With what we have in our squad right now and when everyone is fit, is this our strongest team?

Hoping for a couple more though in the door before the window slams shut. 

Martinez

Cash         Konsa             Mings        Targett

McGinn      Luiz      Sanson 

Buendia      Coutinho

Watkins

Subs: Steer, Hause, Young, Ramsey, Carney, Nakamba,  Traore, Bailey, Ings

It’s not bad is it! 

• Like 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

With what we have in our squad right now and when everyone is fit, is this our strongest team?

Hoping for a couple more though in the door before the window slams shut. 

Martinez

Cash         Konsa             Mings        Targett

McGinn      Luiz      Sanson 

Buendia      Coutinho

Watkins

Subs: Steer, Hause, Young, Ramsey, Carney, Nakamba,  Traore, Bailey, Ings

It’s not bad is it! 

Love the fact that Steer is still on the bench after hundreds of millions being thrown around.

• Like 2

It is a constant debate...Ollie or Danny.

Its widely thought that Ollie is the willing runner and presser and Danny is the clinical finisher, but at closer analysis, of the numbers shows something different....I accept that it doesn't cover the manner of the finishing, just the numbers.

• Danny in 293 games ( League games & Internationals) has scored 102 goals, that equates to 2.87:1
  • Ollie in 281 games ( League games & Internationals) has scored 96 goals, that equates to 2.92: 1

That extrapolates out to 13 goals in a league season, for Both.

Ollie has played 52 games for Villa scoring 19 goals, that equates to  2.73: 1

so I think, you'll agree, in terms of numbers there really isn't much in it.

I accept Danny has played more games in the Premier League as to Ollie in the championship, however, you would expect under such circumstances, Danny would have the better quality around him.

It doesn't spell out any hard and fast conclusions as there are so many factors to shroud doubt.....but I thought it was interesting as a thumb rule.

Coutinho coming in will mean decisions to be made up front and in the middle of the park.

No spot available for Watkins in the number 10 position means that (hopefully) we'll be making the sensible choice of either Watkins or Ings.

No spot available for Ramsey in the number 10 position means that we need to pick three from McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey and Sanson (and Nakamba).

For me, I'd give Watkins first go up top and start McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey in midfield.

With everyone fit, this team and bench starts to look good - just need a bit of defensive depth.

-------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash--------Konsa----------Mings------Targett

--------McGinn--------Luiz------Ramsey----------

----------------Buendia------Coutinho--------------

--------------------------Watkins-------------------------

Steer, Hause, Young, Sanson, Nakamba, Bailey, Traore, Chukwuemeka, Ings

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Coutinho coming in will mean decisions to be made up front and in the middle of the park.

No spot available for Watkins in the number 10 position means that (hopefully) we'll be making the sensible choice of either Watkins or Ings.

No spot available for Ramsey in the number 10 position means that we need to pick three from McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey and Sanson (and Nakamba).

For me, I'd give Watkins first go up top and start McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey in midfield.

With everyone fit, this team and bench starts to look good - just need a bit of defensive depth.

That looks good but if he buys a CDM then Ramsey should drop out and lets see what Luiz can do as a no. 8 

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agree with this.

Would play Nakamba ahead of Luiz when fit though in that number 6 role.

Hopefully we sign a DM soon.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its widely thought that Ollie is the willing runner and presser and Danny is the clinical finisher, but at closer analysis, of the numbers shows something different....I accept that it doesn't cover the manner of the finishing, just the numbers.

• Danny in 293 games ( League games & Internationals) has scored 102 goals, that equates to 2.87:1
  • Ollie in 281 games ( League games & Internationals) has scored 96 goals, that equates to 2.92: 1

I accept Danny has played more games in the Premier League as to Ollie in the championship, however, you would expect under such circumstances, Danny would have the better quality around him.

It doesn't spell out any hard and fast conclusions as there are so many factors to shroud doubt.....but I thought it was interesting as a thumb rule.

So Watkins has only played a dozen games less than Ings but is 4 years younger? 

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is it I would say. But we need a DM there’s no two ways about it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

seems so.....Danny has suffered with many long term injuries, don't forget......conversely Ollie has been fairly ever present.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

You are comparing a pure PL striker stats with a lot of Championship stats for Watkins there m8.

personally i think Ings.

Watkins might be the more athletic player overall, but for me Ings is a better overall player and a much more clinical finisher.

If we have Coutinho and Buendia in the 10s behind the striker, i would much prefer Ings linking with them as he can also play a bit of football (passing/intricate stuff etc), where for me Watkins is more of an athletic striker who isnt so good with the ball at his feet, or as clinical.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ings was constantly out with Injuries for about 7 years it seemed like after "bursting onto the scene" with Burnley.

How many games did he actually end up playing alongside Gerrard I wonder?

Â