Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

We did switch to 4 3 3 with wide forwards when AEG came on last night. Then a 4 4 2 or 4 2 3 1 when JPB came on for JJ. 

So We're not only going to play  4 3 2 1 it seems. Some tactical changes include formation changes

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Much as I love JJ, I reckon he and Luiz would make way for a starting midfield three of McGinn, Bissouma and Coutinho.  

Dumb as ****. First Coutinho is playing in the 2 behind the 9. 2nd ramsey is our future so we shouldn't drop him. 3rd Luiz is miles ahead of mcginn and if he is dropped we will suffer mightily as a team for it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Dumb as ****. First Coutinho is playing in the 2 behind the 9. 2nd ramsey is our future so we shouldn't drop him. 3rd Luiz is miles ahead of mcginn and if he is dropped we will suffer mightily as a team for it. 

Well, I think Coutinho could play as an 8 if we got in someone strong to play the deep lying role. I think that because our manager has already said it’s an option. JJ is indeed the future, but I wouldn’t start him over McGinn who is our best midfielder bar none - including Luiz.

If Coutinho was played as a 10 then JJ would be back in as an 8 - in front of Luiz of course. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Awol said:

Well, I think Coutinho could play as an 8 if we got in someone strong to play the deep lying role. I think that because our manager has already said it’s an option. JJ is indeed the future, but I wouldn’t start him over McGinn who is our best midfielder bar none - including Luiz.

If Coutinho was played as a 10 then JJ would be back in as an 8 - in front of Luiz of course. 

I love SJM but he still goes missing for large chunks of the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

Have to disagree there. I think JJ is easily better than McGinn now for my money. His ceilling is also levels above.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Have to disagree there. I think JJ is easily better than McGinn now for my money. His ceilling is also levels above.

That’s fair enough, I think JJ will be better than SJM but isn’t there yet. McGinn has bite and a drive to his game that was totally missing in that first half on Saturday. 

Either way they’re both better players than Luiz and would be very strong in a three with Bissouma.

• Like 1

For all JJs obvious promise he is no where near Super John right now. People call McGinn a 1/5 player well JJ is a player who hasn’t really put together a top class 90mins yet. Yes he’s been decent in spells and yes he got a great future ahead but he regularly goes missing for 45mins (he’s not alone there). 

IF we do get Bissouma I think Luiz steps up to 8 and it’s JJ that misses out (for now). Luiz gives us more game control, JJ gives us more drive, he’ll still get plenty of game time. Horses for courses stuff. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Awol said:

Anyone who says that I know not to take their footballing opinion seriously. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

For all JJs obvious promise he is no where near Super John right now. People call McGinn a 1/5 player well JJ is a player who hasn’t really put together a top class 90mins yet. Yes he’s been decent in spells and yes he got a great future ahead but he regularly goes missing for 45mins (he’s not alone there). 

IF we do get Bissouma I think Luiz steps up to 8 and it’s JJ that misses out (for now). Luiz gives us more game control, JJ gives us more drive, he’ll still get plenty of game time. Horses for courses stuff. 

Name 1 game where mcginn has played well for all 90 minutes. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s fair enough, I think JJ will be better than SJM but isn’t there yet. McGinn has bite and a drive to his game that was totally missing in that first half on Saturday. 

Either way they’re both better players than Luiz and would be very strong in a three with Bissouma.

No that's a game where if we had mcginn we'd have been down 3-0 at half because he refuses to play possession football. It doesn't come as a surprise that the first game we utterly dominated a half is the game where mcginn isn't playing. 

And anyone who thinks mcginn is close to on par with Luiz knows nothing about football. Without Luiz we can't keep possession, defend or get out of defence without hoofing it. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes. If mcginn was playing instead of Luiz yesterday we lose by a lot. 

You really dislike McGinn, why? I think he’s one of the few players in our starting line up that has universal love for from the overwhelming majority of Villa fans and people don’t question if he’s in the line up because he’s there on merit but you just don’t like him…why? I’m intrigued.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You really dislike McGinn, why? I think he’s one of the few players in our starting line up that has universal love for from the overwhelming majority of Villa fans and people don’t question if he’s in the line up because he’s there on merit but you just don’t like him…why? I’m intrigued.

You have to remember for eighteen months or perhaps longer he was woefully inconsistent, many (not just me) were criticising him. Poor form before his injury against Southampton then rushed back too soon and his form was dodgy again. Last season up and down and again (under Smith) this season too...

Now it seems Smith preferred him in a role he was not suited for and either should have played him where he was naturally suited or benched him.

Thankfully under Gerrard he has a little more freedom and we are seeing much better performance levels from him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You have to remember for eighteen months or perhaps longer he was woefully inconsistent, many (not just me) were criticising him. Poor form before his injury against Southampton then rushed back too soon and his form was dodgy again. Last season up and down and again (under Smith) this season too...

Now it seems Smith preferred him in a role he was not suited for and either should have played him where he was naturally suited or benched him.

Thankfully under Gerrard he has a little more freedom and we are seeing much better performance levels from him.

Ok thanks, different view to me but respect your view

• Like 2

Â