Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting, we could play a Buendia / Coutinho as a false 9 and a choice from Watkins/Ings/Bailey as the inside forwards. 

Getting more like Liverpool - not a bad thing but we need the players to do this successfully. Probably have a better view after the Summer window.

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yup - was thinking about the other CAMs/Wingers as opposed to Watkins/Ings - to have players who are more comfortable on the ball/technical. 

Well Salah / Mane as inside forwards and Firmino as the false 9 is what Liverpool from a few seasons ago did. You basically have 2 forwards as the inside forwards. It's an interesting one and with right mix of players we have options

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well Salah / Mane as inside forwards and Firmino as the false 9 is what Liverpool from a few seasons ago did. You basically have 2 forwards as the inside forwards. It's an interesting one and with right mix of players we have options

That's what I was thinking of, yep. We seem to look most dangerous when we're free-form and using technique/passing/touch to get through defences and that seems to not be done by Watkins/Ings, plus the other guys can score goals too.

• 2 weeks later...

Now the window has slammed shut we have the foloowing to keep us going until the summer . 17 games i think. 

Martinez     Olsen

Cash            n/a

Konsa         Chambers

Mings         Hause

Digne         Young

McGinn     Chuk1

Luiz            Iroegbunam     Nakamba

Ramsey     Sanson

Buendia     Traore

Watkins     Ings

Coutinho    Bailey 

After letting so many out on loan it still isnt too bad a squad for 17 games . 

I would love Tim to get some games now but i think if there is any issue with Dougie at dm Calum Chambers will fill in . 

If i am honest i dont see that we have made enough of a difference to fly up the league but our football in places has really improved and it will be interesting to see if we can build on it and do better second half of the season

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Now the window has slammed shut we have the foloowing to keep us going until the summer . 17 games i think. 

Martinez     Olsen

Cash            n/a

Konsa         Chambers

Mings         Hause

Digne         Young

McGinn     Chuk1

Luiz            Iroegbunam     Nakamba

Ramsey     Sanson

Buendia     Traore

Watkins     Ings

Coutinho    Bailey 

After letting so many out on loan it still isnt too bad a squad for 17 games . 

I would love Tim to get some games now but i think if there is any issue with Dougie at dm Calum Chambers will fill in . 

If i am honest i dont see that we have made enough of a difference to fly up the league but our football in places has really improved and it will be interesting to see if we can build on it and do better second half of the season

Kesler-Hayden is your n/a

edit; apologies didn’t see he’s heading out on loan again!

Edited by a m ole

14 hours ago, paul514 said:

It's something I thought about when we were all talking about a DM in the window just gone.

When we were linked with Bentencur I wondered if a true DCM was what the club actually wanted and if they wanted to go down the Liverpool route.

For me I prefer a double Pivot and I would want a true DCM next to a 6/8 type player so It isn't really what I want.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chambers is tried in the role of holding midfielder. As he has also played as a centre half he has many defensive instincts. 

I sometimes see tweets like this pop up.

We have our shape. Our system. Gerrard's system. It won't change. It will be 4321.

Whether or not it should be every game of course is another argument...

Smith was never comfortable away from a wide largely attacking 433 IMO, and it ended up being a weakness.

We look more solid now in this formation than the start of the season, but I do think we'll need another option at some point.

More than happy to press on and really nail down the roles in this shape for the rest of the season. Just an observation for the future.

I think we're pretty vulnerable to wing backs due to the numbers opponents can build up out wide. We start to get opened up as Gerrard wants the wide midfielders to press the fellas on the touchline. They've got so so much ground to cover.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We have our shape. Our system. Gerrard's system. It won't change. It will be 4321.

Smith was never comfortable away from a wide largely attacking 433 IMO, and it ended up being a weakness.

We look more solid now in this formation than the start of the season, but I do think we'll need another option at some point.

More than happy to press on and really nail down the roles in this shape for the rest of the season. Just an observation for the future.

I think we're pretty vulnerable to wing backs due to the numbers opponents can build up out wide. We start to get opened up as Gerrard wants the wide midfielders to press the fellas on the touchline. They've got so so much ground to cover.

I'm interested in what happens with Bailey when he is back and fully fit.... I wonder if he might become a centre forward?

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chambers is tried in the role of holding midfielder. As he has also played as a centre half he has many defensive instincts. 

I've never seen him play there and to be honest. I haven't even paid attention to him other than to notice him being an average premier league player so I am just taking everyone else's word on his qualities.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

That’s because Twitter is full of idiots.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

I'm interested in what happens with Bailey when he is back and fully fit.... I wonder if he might become a centre forward?

Hadn’t thought about Bailey playing as central striker but given his pace and shooting power this could be a good call. Has he ever played in this position before? Some serious coaching may be required.

20 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Hadn’t thought about Bailey playing as central striker but given his pace and shooting power this could be a good call. Has he ever played in this position before? Some serious coaching may be required.

Traore has... a lot

2 hours ago, PerryBarrPet said:

He has played there before it is his second position.

13 hours ago, paul514 said:

He has played there before it is his second position.

Not really. Vast majority of his games as far as I can tell have been either side of a front three. Transfermarkt suggests he's played more at left midfield, which I assume would mostly be the left the 4 in the 3-4-3 Leverkusen played a few years back, so almost a wing back.

Doesn't mean he can't play there, but he's definitely behind Watkins, Ings and probably Traore as well for that spot so can't see him playing there for us.

Edited by tomsky_11

On 02/02/2022 at 18:55, WallisFrizz said:

V interesting. 
I don’t see Ramsey as a 10 but what do I know.

Fingers crossed KKH stays focused.

I agree Brad Young will be a success in lower leagues.

Gerrard really will want to keep hold of John McGinn with that vision of his midfield.

I don't see Ramsey as a 10 either, definite 8 for me.

Â