Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

On 03/02/2022 at 15:41, paul514 said:

I'm interested in what happens with Bailey when he is back and fully fit.... I wonder if he might become a centre forward?

I think he will get time there for sure. I just feel a Bailey, Coutinho, Buendia front three is exciting.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 08:25, CVByrne said:

Do you think Gerrard might add in some tactical flexibility? I feel at times where we control midfield a 4 2 3 1 might best suit our attacking players. A switch where say Ramsey comes off for Bailey 

Watkins

Bailey Coutinho Buendia

Luiz McGinn

Digne Mings Konsa Cash

It could be more a 4 3 2 1 but where the central defensive midfielder swaps for say Coutinho or Buendia so they are more forward looking than defensive. 

My concern is, with Digne and cash as attacking full backs, who's going to do the defending?

That line up is predominantly Offensive.

also, I think Ramsey is a permanent fixture now....He is arguably, one of our best players.

Edited by TRO

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

My concern is, with Digne and cash as attacking full backs, who's going to do the defending?

That line up is predominantly Offensive.

also, I think Ramsey is a permanent fixture now....He is arguably, one of our best players.

There's two holding midfielders to sit in  front of the last line and protect it. Whether you think McGinn and Luiz are up to the role is a different matter.

Certainly not Cambiasso and Motta, nor Xabi and Khedira.

For me they could play there though. 

Edited by A'Villan

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

There's two holding midfielders to sit in  front of the last line and protect it. Whether you think McGinn and Luiz are up to the role is a different matter.

Certainly not Cambiasso and Motta, nor Xabi and Khedira.

For me they could play there though. 

Hence my concern, 2 essentially offensive minded players.

I guess, we will  just have to get by, until the summer.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hence my concern, 2 essentially offensive minded players.

I guess, we will  just have to get by, until the summer.

I see both McGinn and Luiz as capable of winning the ball back of their own accord and abilities. That would only be enhanced by tactical development if they were assigned the roles. Could be wrong but I see that duo as doable in the holding roles. I think it may hamper McGinns optimal input given that he is better suited to central midfield and being a threat on the ball as well as winning it in threatening territory, but I think with some better discipline and decision making regards defensive duties, I see him being able to adapt and fulfil the role.

Edited by A'Villan

Just realised something. If we count the cost of Coutinho to purchase in the summer of £33mill we now have a £165 million forward line. £165 million. Mental. We have alot.to thank our owners for thats for sure 

Watkins 30 Ings 25 Buendia 35 Coutinho 33 Bailey 25 Traore 17

As a grpup that is a scary line up even compared to other prem teams. 

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting video about how the Great 2007 Milan team played with a Christmas Tree formation. I think the goal for Ancelotti was to get the best out of Pirlo and Kaka in the system. But it's important how the midfield three are adaptable. I see Coutinho like our Kaka and Buendia like our Seedorf . I think the midfield has to be different these days due to how much counter pressing teams do, and how quickly teams attack in transition. We are vulnerable without a CDM "destroyer" type player attuned to breaking up opposition attacks in transition.

That's an excellent evaluation of AC Milan and I think it's very similar to the way we're set up and want to play. It's interesting to see the way they did it without a big central defensive midfield destroyer and I do wonder if the urgency the fans have to bring one in is matched by the management team. I think if we do go for one, they'll want one that can play first and foremost.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

I thought it was Kerr Smith tbh, it might be T.O'R. either way he's a handsome talented lucky git 

defo not Kerr Smith, Kerr is frickin huge and chunky for a 17yr old, looks like a fully grown man.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting video about how the Great 2007 Milan team played with a Christmas Tree formation. I think the goal for Ancelotti was to get the best out of Pirlo and Kaka in the system. But it's important how the midfield three are adaptable. I see Coutinho like our Kaka and Buendia like our Seedorf . I think the midfield has to be different these days due to how much counter pressing teams do, and how quickly teams attack in transition. We are vulnerable without a CDM "destroyer" type player attuned to breaking up opposition attacks in transition.

Christmas tree they started using before Kaka joined in 2002 as they signed Rivaldo and also had Pirlo, Seedorf and Rui Costa in the squad. Shevchenko wasnt fully fit so had just one fit senior striker

It didnt work initially as Rivaldo was a flop

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

This is really not great looking

Not surprised considering the horrendous start to the season. Gerrard has had barely any time to instill his style thus far.

4 minutes ago, jim said:

Not surprised considering the horrendous start to the season. Gerrard has had barely any time to instill his style thus far.

From Sunday he will have managed us for more league games this season

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And hopefully he would have won more of them than lost.  **** the stupid graphics. 

Thats the hope, we really should be getting at least 12 points from the next 5, 15 if they add one of the rearranged games in that period.

We are playing the weak teams up until West Ham

Â