Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, thejoker said:

We’ve regressed so much since last season. No real playing style still. Everything looks panicked. 

To be fair we wern't too good without Grealish last season but with the investment we have made  we should be better than that. Smith is very stubborn sticking with the 3 at the back when the majority on here can see its not working. The process is all wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Now that Bailey is back he can’t have any excuses. Most managers would kill for a squad containing Buendia, Bailey, Ings, Traore, Watkins etc. and we should be performing much better than we are with those players available.

It will be a tough few weeks, and if things don’t improve soon I think he will be in trouble. We are worse than last season with a better, and more settled, squad. Can’t keep saying it’s all because Grealish left. The replacements weren’t cheap.

What the hell is happening with Buendia? Just not at it.

7 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s the right move. I’d argue Buendia would look better wide right anyway, and I’d rather play Ollie wide left or Anwar/Jaden/anyone, than play 3-5-2 again any time soon. 

We, over time, look better as a team in 4-3-3. The players look more comfortable and confident, and for me it’s an objectively better formation than 3-5-2. 

I think 4-3-3 is a better formation but results in poorer players / players played out of position and that's the problem 

Wouldn't disagree that 5-3-2 is shit and should be binned off as soon as possible but I can understand why it's been played and therefore don't hold it against him as much as others 

If we are fully fit and we play it then yeah give him pelters 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think 4-3-3 is a better formation but results in poorer players / players played out of position and that's the problem 

Wouldn't disagree that 5-3-2 is shit and should be binned off as soon as possible but I can understand why it's been played and therefore don't hold it against him as much as others 

If we are fully fit and we play it then yeah give him pelters 

Buendia played his best football out on the right. Start Bailey and sub him for AEG when he starts to tire. Ings in the middle, lovechild on the bench.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, string28 said:

the formation is not suiting him we need him on the wing which means droping oliy or ings.

I don’t disagree with what you are saying but also looks too lightweight for the PL and I don’t mean because of his stature.  Hopefully as you say that’s positioning and maybe a bit of settling to the club and the higher league. I am a little concerned though.

2 minutes ago, jim said:

Buendia played his best football out on the right. Start Bailey and sub him for AEG when he starts to tire. Ings in the middle, lovechild on the bench.

So sub Bailey at half time then? 

He's obviously been assessed by the medical team and declared available for the bench but not to start 

Buendia for me right now shouldn't be starting anywhere 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Big Smith fan but 3 at the back had to go. Its going to cost him his job especially playing Tuanzebe 

I'm the same. Always been pro Smith but couldn't believe it when I saw lineup that a) playing 352 against Arsenal b) Tuanzebe hadn't got the boot

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t really understand this. If we need a second striker then he must be as good as or almost as good as the first striker, or what’s the point? A cheap crap second striker is pointless. The problem for me is trying to play them both in every game. Look at the talent the top teams have on their bench every week. I’m not saying they can’t play together in some games, but in a lot of games the impact of bringing on a top striker can make a big difference. If we want to be a top club playing in Europe then we have to think like one. Dean has to stop this experiment and the three at the back experiment before it’s too late. 

We are not in a position to have that much quality up front at that price and on those wages when we needed to improve the midfield. 

It doesn’t make sense and it’s going to cause us issues. 

• Like 1

I said in the match thread, it's gotta be Danks doing this 5-3-2 formation. Dean was as stubborn as F*** playing 4-3-3. We have the players even with injuries still to play 4-3-3, it's the formation we have worked on for 3 years, why change it I do not understand. Shakespere and Smith standing on the sidelines watching us fall like they were scared to change it without chatting to Dank's at halftime.

Everyone was at fault tonight they all share the blame for sure. The formation you can say was wrong but it was the personnel I’d question more. Axel over Hause is ridiculous, and you gotta feel sorry for him as he does nothing wrong really when he plays but first hooked. And buendia over Ramsey was another mistake.

Need to get Bailey and Traore on the pitch playing 4231 / 433 so ditching the currently failed Ings - Watkins combo. 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We are not in a position to have that much quality up front at that price and on those wages when we needed to improve the midfield. 

It doesn’t make sense and it’s going to cause us issues. 

I’d agree that we have greater needs in midfield, but without cover for Ollie we are one bad injury away from disaster. Although you could argue that Archer is decent cover but not sure he could lead the line for 10 games.

I agree on your second point too, but that’s all about managing a squad. A bit chicken and egg I suppose, strong squad needed to compete and get where we want to be but hard to keep happy without European football. Nobody said it would be easy I guess. 

For the West Ham game I'd go.

Emi

Cash          Konsa                     Mings      Targett

Douglas Luiz

McGinn                   Ramsey

Bailey                                                         El Ghazi (height badly needed to defend set pieces)

Ings or Watkins (doesn't really matter, have 1 run themselves into the ground for 60 minutes then bring the other on).

Sort of game Hause would be useful in too but we need to get our defence back settled again.

• Like 1

The recruitment has been fine, short of the top quality defensive midfielder we really need. We don't stand a chance though when a so called professional manager sticks with a horrendous 5-3-2 through thick and thin. How anyboy even with a vague understanding of the game could leave our team and formation unchanged until half time tonight, lord only knows. He deserves the sack for that alone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

For the West Ham game I'd go.

Emi

Cash          Konsa                     Mings      Targett

Douglas Luiz

McGinn                   Ramsey

Bailey                                                         El Ghazi (height badly needed to defend set pieces)

Ings or Watkins (doesn't really matter, have 1 run themselves into the ground for 60 minutes then bring the other on).

Sort of game Hause would be useful in too but we need to get our defence back settled again.

I’d go with that but if the option is there maybe switch Bailey to the left and put Bertie on the right

• Like 1

I just hope if we have gained anything from tonight, its the hope that this is the end of the 5-3-2 formation. 

Get back to basics and what made us so good in the first place. 

• Like 2

Â