Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is something I would love to know the answer to. A caveat to b) would be that he may agree it is an issue this season but could believe he has the youth coming through and we should be okay next season and he is also potentially relying on Sanson's fitness

My concern is Pete.....I have no doubt, with the ability of our youth, but so far.....I am not convinced with their intensity and workrate, not overly convinced on the positioning sense and ability to make a mark....not saying they won't make it, but just need to see a bit more.

I understand they are learning and we have to be patient, but they have to learn on the job and that means making a total nuisance of yourself, when you are not on the ball....by denying the opponent.

Its not like the academy, where you can wait for the ball, to go on a mazy run, or start getting interested, because you have the ball, on the ball our kids are top notch, they have to learn the game without it.

I saw Gareth Barry, make his debut and Gary Shaw , both contrasting players, but they make a mark.....you have to find a way to be effective.

I would love us to sign another Gareth Barry, I think it would vastly improve us.....I'm hoping Tim Iroegnunam, could be that player.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, sne said:

We did try pretty hard to sign JWP this summer and Kalvin Phillips the year before that which suggest otherwise.

Yeah...thats true and the hope, I hold on to.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We could’ve played 433 no doubt but I don’t think it’s the players that are fit the he wants to play it. Bailey was out, Traore and Sanson were on the bench and not 100% and definitely not match fit.

We couldve moved Buendia up front to play with Ollie and Danny, dropped Axel and brought in Ramsey or Nakamba I suppose.  Given the rhetoric on here this last week how lesser quality those two are I hadn’t mentioned that.  Or leave Buendia in midfield and drop Axel and bring in AEG upfront but AEG has been questioned on this forum as well. 

So who knows! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think once Bailey is fit to start (I assume tomo he’ll come as sub) we’ll definitely move to 433.  

What he does tomorrow I don’t know.  I would like to move to 433 and I think he might but I’m guessing some on here will be complaining that while they are happy Axel would be dropped, we move to a 433, they can’t believe XXX player (Insert AEG, Ramsey, Nakamba or whoever) has been picked.  He may stick with the 352 and while I wouldn’t be in favour of that I’ll have to judge how the game goes.

We also have ElGhazi. Emi B could play right, AEG on the left with Ollie in between and Ings dropping back. There are lots of options for Dean to play 433 and he elects not to play that formation. We can't have a team that can only play 433 when Bailey is fit

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

We also have ElGhazi. Emi B could play right, AEG on the left with Ollie in between and Ings dropping back. There are lots of options for Dean to play 433 and he elects not to play that formation. We can't have a team that can only play 433 when Bailey is fit

AEG is El Ghazi but most on here don’t want him to start.  

I’m not convinced playing 4231 is the best formation with those players like you are suggesting.  It leaves our midfield far too weak and open.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

To be fair VLV I do like him and some will say because he is tall....its not just size with me....its there ability to attempt to dominate the ball and secure the centre of the pitch, and start dictating.

I like this boy, Gallagher.....I love watching him play, in to everything, defending, scoring on the edge of the box, like a duracell battery....its not just one game, he is the same in every game an absolute live wire.

I did post on here when he was with Albion.....worth a punt.

Chelsea own Gallagher unfortunately so he wouldn't come cheap. They got £25m for Marc Guehi, Palace CB, who had one year of Championship under his belt and 0 PL apps.

I do think he'd be a good one to look at though. Very much an all rounder, but his output would have to eventually match the substantial outlay it would take. He's good enough for it to...

The other from Chelsea young'uns I'd be happy to spend big on would be defender Levi Colwill, defender. Very very good. Would be great one to bring through behind Mings.

On Soucek...the year before he signed for West Ham ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I wasn't suggesting 4231. AEG-Ollie-EmiB as the front 3

I was referring to…

Emi B could play right, AEG on the left with Ollie in between and Ings dropping back.

So I thought you were suggesting the four playing with Ollie leading the line.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

My concern is Pete.....I have no doubt, witht the ability of our youth, but so far.....I am not convinced with their intensity and workrate, not overly convinced on the positioning sense and ability to make a mark....not saying they won't make it, but just need to see a bit more.

I understand they are learning and we have to be patient, but they have to learn on the job and that means making a total nuisance of yourself, when you are not on the ball....by denying the opponent.

Its not like the academy, where you can wait for the ball, to go on a mazy run, or start getting interested, because you have the ball, on the ball our kids are top notch, they have to learn the game without it.

I saw Gareth Barry, make his debut and Gary Shaw , both contrasting players, but they make a mark.....you have to find a way to be effective.

I would love us to sign another Gareth Barry, I think it would vastly improve us.....I'm hoping Tim Iroegnunam, could be that player.

Well, I have just discovered you are a fan of Soucek too and from your previous comments it is clear that we both want to see the same type of attitude/workrate/intensity/bite or whatever adjective we refer to, I tend to just refer to it as a Roy Keane attitude but I think you correctly added Patrick Vieira as another appropriate descriptor. Tim Ir does show some of this attitude but I have to confess that the amount of times I have seen him play is limited. 

I would love us to sign another Gareth Barry 😀👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What makes you say that?

Because Dean has defended Watkins and Ings goal record, saying they are scoring despite us losing, and saying Traore and Bailey have (only) a chance of featuring, plus saying we and Arsenal have changed since we beat them with 433. All points to him ploughing stubbornly on with the same formation and players we started vs Wolves.

Edited by VillanousOne

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Because Dean has defended Watkins and Ings goal record, saying they are scoring despite us losing, and saying Traore and Bailey have (only) a chance of featuring, plus saying we and Arsenal have changed since we beat them with 433. All points to him ploughing stubbornly on with the same formation and players we started vs Wolves.

I was going to give you a like but I don't like the post, but I do agree with it unfortunately 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

In fairness there's often no correlation between what Smith says in pre-match pressers and what Smith does on matchday, so I wouldn't read too much into it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I am not trying to overly defend Dean Smith here, but in terms of scoring goals we have put ourselves in a position to have won every game so far, by scoring...... bar one.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not trying to overly defend Dean Smith here, but in terms of scoring goals we have put ourselves in a position to have won every game so far, by scoring...... bar one.

Not sure about that one. Watford, Brentford, Spurs… we were never in a position to win those games by scoring.

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Not sure about that one. Watford, Brentford, Spurs… we were never in a position to win those games by scoring.

I didn't mean it in that context.....I meant, we scored goals..... had we not conceded, we was in a position to win.

My overall point was conceding in this league, is the biggest no,no.....we need to look at the criteria that suggests we are too easy to play against.

we can score, we have only failed in one league game.

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't mean it in that context.....I meant, we scored goals..... had we not conceded, we was in a position to win.

My overall point was conceding in this league, is the biggest no,no.....we need to look at the criteria that suggests we are too easy to play against.

we can score, we have only failed in one league game.

We've scored 12 goals but we've also conceded 12 goals so far. Its not like we're scoring far more than we're conceding.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm being dumb. I see what you mean.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

22 hours ago, est1874 said:

In fairness there's often no correlation between what Smith says in pre-match pressers and what Smith does on matchday, so I wouldn't read too much into it. 

Exactly. Why would you tell the other team what you're going to do? Keep 'em guessing.

Â