Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You're ignoring the affect of different injuries and having different options available at different times. 

We can absolutely play his known 4-3-3 now and I expect to see it.

Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn in the middle. Bailey, Buendia and Watkins as the front three.

Not change system just to shoehorn Watkins and Ings into the same team.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

We can absolutely play his known 4-3-3 now and I expect to see it.

Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn in the middle. Bailey, Buendia and Watkins as the front three.

Not change system just to shoehorn Watkins and Ings into the same team.

Or the fact that Buendia couldn't play and Bailey has just come back from injury and clearly, by the evidence of the game yesterday, is still getting used to the league and isn't ready yet. 

It's no surprise we played 433 when we had Grealish. It's the formation that makes the most of him. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, it was pretty obvious when you looked at the quality we had in depth the last two years. No surprises with better players, we will start seeing more of an ability to adapt and change. 

I love the fact he said, we no longer have to come to teams like Chelsea and just try and contain. We can go toe to toe with these teams. 

Yeah, it's not always going to go for us but great place to be. We'll put together a strong run at some point when everyone is fit and settled. 

We still haven't been able to start our strongest team yet.

We’ve not been within a country mile….not even in the same postcode as our strongest team yet.

Or I should say that our team has not yet all been in the same postcode together. 

• Like 2

----------------------Martinez-----------------------

Cash--------Konsa----Mings---------Targett

------------------------Luiz--------------------------------

--------------McGinn---Ramsey--------------------

Buendia------------Watkins--------------Bailey

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Can't see us sticking with 5-3-2 

If we do then what is the point with the Bailey and Buendia signings 

When Bailey came on he drifted in the front line and helped with tracking Alonso a few times. Traore cut in from right and had a shot but Bailey made a striker esque run and surprisingly Traore didn't play him in.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I agree with this

Welcome back Kiwi, I sort of do to but we need more time to be sure which one starts.

I think Ings is a brilliant finisher but over all Ollies worth rate is ridiculous. Thanks to NWSE we now have options and strength.

For me though, Buendia and Bailey should be 1st names on the sheet asap so only one of the above should start with them for good balance whichever formation we go with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I wouldn't be against seeing that formation yesterday again and with time to gel Ings and Ollie can make that work. I liked Ramsey, SJM and Dougie, that just worked yesterday and can again.

Didn't see the Tuchel/Ramsey bit, will prob watch it again later. Ramsey has potential and we know for sure Carney does, I spoke in the Mings thread about being work in progress and upgrades as and when....... the stone cold nuts would be the kids becoming the upgrades.  

That combo has to play the majority of games this season. Whether it's 3 or 4 at the back we gotta play a 3 in the middle. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I agree with this

I don't think it's a case of shoe horning them in at all. I think it's the plan. We've got options now. We can play like we did yesterday, against weaker teams I'd imagine we try 4-4-2 and we can also use 4-3-3 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think it's a case of shoe horning them in at all. I think it's the plan. We've got options now. We can play like we did yesterday, against weaker teams I'd imagine we try 4-4-2 and we can also use 4-3-3 

We conceded 3 goals against Watford because we thought it was a weaker team.

I'm afraid we won't get away with a 2 man midfield. Not against anyone.

We don't have a DM who is capable doing that job on his own. Not in a 2.

Edited by villalad21

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We conceded 3 goals against Watford because we thought it was a weaker team.

I'm afraid we won't get away with a 2 man midfield. Not against anyone.

We don't have a DM who is capable doing that job on his own. Not in a 2.

Well i'll wait and see before claiming it will fail. 

Of course we will lose to teams we think are weaker. It happens to most teams. 

We beat Spurs and Chelsea at the end of last season with only 2 midfielders, (playing 4231, same as we played against Watford). Almost like no formation is going to be 100% either way.

I'm hoping this season we will display a bit more flexibility when needed now we have more options in the squad, and while 433 should probably be our stock formation, we can switch that up for certain games

• Like 1

The 5-3-2 worked really well for us, they way we set up to press Chelsea was like a 3-3-4 almost and it worked really well, they managed to slip out of our press once in the first half and scored.

It was a very smart and intricate set up I must say, Tuanzebe as a sweeper, Konsa and Mings coming quite high up the pitch on each side of him, Douggie the anchor who controlled the space between defence and midfield, Targett and Cash blocking the wings and then McGinn and Ramsey playing a very high press, almost like a front four, where Watkins and Ings had quite wide positions to block their possibility to play it out trough the full backs.

It almost looked like a game of chess where we had managed to put out our chess pieces in a way that blocked and stiffled them. The risky thing is if they manage to get through the press, which they did for the goal for example.

I hope we play this way against the 4 top clubs, but 4-3-3 against the others, I can't really see where Buendia, Baily and Traore fits in if we play this formation we played against Chelsea.

4-4-2 isn’t a 2 man midfield if you play diamond. Watkins in particular and Ings are both great at playing the channel, then Buendia has a free role to find the space behind or either side of them. Then you have your usual 3 behind them.

I can see us playing a 4-4-2 that can switch to a 4-3-3 anytime during the game.

4-4-2

Watkins - - - Ings

Bailey - - McGinn - - Luiz/Ramsey - - Buendia 

Switching to the 4-3-3

Bailey - - Watkins - - Ings

- - Buendia - -

McGinn- - Ramsey/D. Luiz

I would like us to play a 4-3-3 with Watkins as the striker and Bailey/Buendia cutting in from the wings. 

Oddly enough, I actually think the midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey has been the strongest part of the side this season. 

I’m all for changing the formation and what not but I don’t see how you play Bailey and Buendia in a 3-5-2. That’s 70 million pounds worth of talent.

I don’t think Ings gets in our best team. 

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Interesting that our midfield currently our best performing position. If VT were any indication, you would think we'd be falling apart at the seams there, especially since we didn't sign a DM.

To be fair mate, I'm on of those whos been critical and quite worried, but credit where it's due, they've been good.

It also makes me realise what a colossal waste of time Barkley was overall, an expensive waste at that.

Even Ramsey has put him to shame.

McGinn coming back into form also plays a large part.

One player really can make a huge difference to the balance of the team.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Interesting that our midfield currently our best performing position. If VT were any indication, you would think we'd be falling apart at the seams there, especially since we didn't sign a DM.

So true. It was a ridiculous overreaction all summer. 

Â