Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

9 hours ago, Dale said:

Personally don't think Ings makes best 11.

lineup.png

This, unfortunately, is probably our best team. 

Our negligence in not sorting the central midfield area means we can’t showcase our attacking talent in matches. 

Unless we sign two central midfielders or one unbelievably good one, I don’t think we can get away with playing anything other than a 4-3-3 at present. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gaffer85 said:

It's not that imbalanced it's just needs a proper destroyer in front of the back 4 

Who that is I don't know preferably 6 foot plus would also help on set plays

Some thing like this would work I think similar to Liverpool formation

Emi 

Cash     konsa         mings    targett

Dm 

Emi2                Mcginn 

Bailey           ings         watkins

Front 3 are all interchangeable 

why can't we play Axel as the DM until we get one.

I have said in earlier posts, if the centre backs are "got at" too easily, deflections and ricochets are bound to happen.

We were all comfortable going in to this season, with our defence, but Saturday was a debacle......We have to be able as a team to defend better than we do....that doesn't mean parking the bus or defending for 90 minutes, its having the ability to deny.

as an example and young academy graduate Tanagana (22) took on Grealish and Sterling and came out with plaudits.....its stuff like that, I expect from our full backs.

12 hours ago, Dale said:

Personally don't think Ings makes best 11.

lineup.png

Really not seeing Sanson in our best 11.

For newcastle at least I think Buendia will remain central with Traore out wide - rest of the team as above.

Edited by hippo

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

3 of the 4 midfielders you named there are players he invested in after we got promoted.

I said since we got promoted - I.e. we last bought a CM, other than Sanson (which I also said), since we were promoted in summer 2019. So this summer and last summer we didn’t sign any.

Didn’t think I’d need to explain that and it doesn’t invalidate the point I was making.

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It was abundantly clear on Saturday that this particular two as a 2 in midfield is utter suicide.

We might get away with it against Newcastle, but it is not something we should persist with in my view. 

But I reckon Smith will try playing Ings and Watkins in the same team and that very likely means a 2 man midfield.

I share your worry though, plenty of people do. Don't think it will work.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This, unfortunately, is probably our best team. 

Our negligence in not sorting the central midfield area means we can’t showcase our attacking talent in matches. 

Unless we sign two central midfielders or one unbelievably good one, I don’t think we can get away with playing anything other than a 4-3-3 at present. 

I genuinely don't think you can get away with playing anything with two up front unless you go three at CB, that goes for anyone. Only other way is hoof ball, and we're not that. You'll get overrun. 

Yes we played poorly on Saturday, but it was only our first game and we were missing some key players. Other players not having enough match fitness (Buendia). They got a goal Emi would save 9/10, a deflected goal and then scored a brilliant one. Their xG was actually lower than ours 1.22 to 1.26 (according to infogol). It was one of those games where we could have got 2-2 when we finally got going. 

We know we need another midfielder, add to that players coming into the side like Bailey and Watkins. Players with more match fitness now too. We've back to back home games where 4 or 6 points will get us back on track

Interesting that we seem to have options and cover in most positions. on the face of it - if a first team players gets injured we have an able deputy ready to step up.

Good as this seems - its never seems to work at Aston Villa. Our best teams seem to be a strong first 11 - which not much below that. Obviously the 80/81 team - BL's class of 96 , and the MON teams

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

I genuinely don't think you can get away with playing anything with two up front unless you go three at CB, that goes for anyone. Only other way is hoof ball, and we're not that. You'll get overrun. 

Burnley get away with it to be fair. But you can't compare.

They have a completely different shape than we do. They stay deep and compact with 2 banks of four and doesn't take a lot of risk. Playing a lot of long balls to big and powerful strikers.

We push a lot of players forward. Fullbacks are bombing forward. Are more attacking minded. 4-4-2 would be an absolute disaster show for us.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Burnley get away with it to be fair. But you can't compare.

They have a completely different shape than we do. They stay deep and compact with 2 banks of four and doesn't take a lot of risk. Playing a lot of long balls to big and powerful strikers.

We push a lot of players forward. Fullbacks are bombing forward. Are more attacking minded. 4-4-2 would be an absolute disaster show for us.

They get away with it in the sense of staying in the division but our goals and aspirations are much higher than that. 

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Interesting that we seem to have options and cover in most positions. on the face of it - if a first team players gets injured we have an able deputy ready to step up.

Good as this seems - its never seems to work at Aston Villa. Our best teams seem to be a strong first 11 - which not much below that. Obviously the 80/81 team - BL's class of 96 , and the MON teams

I think we have in the past but to be a top 6 team these days you have to have a strong squad with 2 quality players for each position. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They get away with it in the sense of staying in the division but our goals and aspirations are much higher than that. 

After watching us in Pre Season and on Saturday my mind is now set on that 40 point mark.

Think it will turn out to be a difficult season.

• Haha 1

No need for too much concern just yet IMO as it’s way too early to judge anything one game in… We didn’t show up at all and were beaten by a mistake, a deflection (from a mistake) and a worldie. So no judgements that can be seriously made on how the season will pan outs 

The window still has two weeks left so plenty of time to address the centre midfield balance which I’ve no doubts they are aware of. 

this for me is how we will line up when everyone is fit...442 (not bothering with the back 5 as that picks itself)

Ings           Watkins

Buendia                           Bailey

McGinn      Sanson/Luiz/Marv

the problem we have, and had saturday, that if one of ings or watkins is out, we're forced to shoehorn another attacking player into the number 10/CF position. buendia doesn't appear to be that man. so what do we do in those instances? go to the transfer market looking for a number 10 who is only ever going to play if one of 2 (fairly reliable, injury wise) players is out? or do we re-train one of the current crop to a number 10 role. i suspect we'd go the latter but i cannot figure out who that man is.

i'd argue a case for mcginn and play marv & luiz and another option is sanson

chuk i gues is probably a natural 10 but isn't ready yet

for the right price, getting cantwell isn't actually a bad shout

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

After watching us in Pre Season and on Saturday my mind is now set on that 40 point mark.

Think it will turn out to be a difficult season.

Surely you are not being serious 😂 

I mean, look, that performance worried me too, but I think we've got enough talent to at least be around where we were last season and possibly even better it. 

If we are hovering around the relegation places Dean will surely be out on his ear. It's his job for us to move forward without JG. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Surely you are not being serious 😂 

I mean, look, that performance worried me too, but I think we've got enough talent to at least be around where we were last season and possibly even better it. 

If we are hovering around the relegation places Dean will surely be out on his ear. It's his job for us to move forward without JG. 

Grealish was the main reason we did what we did last season 

Just look at the drop off when he was injured 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Grealish was the main reason we did what we did last season 

Just look at the drop off when he was injured 

You make it sound like we've just let him go and not signed any other players that improve the 11.

Finishing lower than last season would be a failure and completely unacceptable IMO.

Â