Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I think we'll play Ings and Watkins together and try to make that work. Obviously you want to play to a system but shifting Watkins out to the left of a front 3 and playing Ings in the middle feels a lot more dangerous to me than leaving one of them out. Is it the ideal use for Watkins? Not really, but he'll still be a very useful player in that role, and again, I think we're more dangerous with both of them in the side.

Ings

Watkins             Bailey

Buendia

McGinn Douglas

Young Mings Konsa Cash

Martinez

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't see how Ings and Watkins can work if we aren't playing Watkins out wide, and even if we did, he'd be taking the place of a player better suited to play there.

I think we might go 3 at the back from time to time, at the moment I can’t see us changing formation to accommodate a player, therefore it’s Ings shirt to lose , same with Young at Lb 

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think we'll play Ings and Watkins together and try to make that work. Obviously you want to play to a system but shifting Watkins out to the left of a front 3 and playing Ings in the middle feels a lot more dangerous to me than leaving one of them out. Is it the ideal use for Watkins? Not really, but he'll still be a very useful player in that role, and again, I think we're more dangerous with both of them in the side.

Ings

Watkins             Bailey

Buendia

McGinn Douglas

Young Mings Konsa Cash

Martinez

I might just rearrange the middle three to Douglas behind McGinn and Buendia, rather than Douglas AND McGinn behind Buendia. Works better for us, I feel. Otherwise a good call. Choices and options are such a better problem to have compared to what we have been used to for so long. "How do we fit in this international winger with Champions League experience, or that England international striker in to our starting XI?" Wonderful.

Buendia didn't look at all right when he was in the centre. Much better for him to play as a RW and cut inside. 

For me we need to go 4-3-3:

LW Bailey
ST Ings or Watkins
RW Buendia

That's our strongest front line - change up the striker depending on the oppo. 

• Like 4

Suspend your disbelief for a second, this is tongue in cheek, just some fun for lols.....just relax.....:

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings

Watkins - Luiz - Ramsey - Bailey

Traore - Ings - Buendia

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Buendia didn't look at all right when he was in the centre. Much better for him to play as a RW and cut inside. 

LW Bailey
ST Ings or Watkins
RW Buendia

I think Buendia will play on the left and Bailey on the right. Could be wrong though! Exciting all the Same

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Suspend your disbelief for a second, this is tongue in cheek, just some fun for lols.....just relax.....:

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings

Traore - Ings - Buendia

That team would score 4 and concede 5 lol 

Entertainment value though

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings

Traore - Ings - Buendia

I like it. The defence isn't good enough on the ball though. But id give it a try.

• Like 1

IMHO I think we’re two players away from being a really, really decent side. These are a LW/AM and DCM. 

Ive mentioned Nkunku before, he can play anywhere across the front 4 and would give us options with him centrally but interchanging with Buendia and Bailey during the game, Nkunku going LW, Buendia coming central and Bailey swapping wings. It would be brilliant to watch. This could work in either an attacking 433 with Nkunku as the No10 or in a 4231. For me Nkunku would be Grealish’s replacement and offer a lot of what he would have offered us this season.

Someone like Tchouameni or Docoure as our DCM would also allow us to play the 4231 better and allow Luiz/McGinn/Sanson etc to play more of their natural games, think Luiz and Guimaraes in the Brazil team as an example. 

If needed we’d also have the option of playing Nakamba alongside the new DCM if we needed to go ultra defensive in a 4231 or 433, with two No6s and a No8 (McGinn). 

It will be interesting to see how we look in the next month or so. 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

LW Bailey
ST Ings or Watkins
RW Buendia

I agree with this. The three in the middle is interesting though. I keep changing my mind virtually on the hour every hour. At the moment I am with Luiz as a six and SJM and Sanson as eights. Very harsh on Ramsey though after the last couple of weeks.

Although we want to fit Watkins, Bailey, Ings and Buendia in to our starting line up, we just don't have the right midfielders to put behind them. Douglas could maybe, but we need another. Nakamba is our most suitable option but suddenly McGinn and Sanson are not getting a look in. That says nothing about Ramsey and Chukwuemeka. Those last four need a midfield three to work best. I think we are best suited to having some excellent options on the bench. Having Watkins or Ings, as well as Traore on the bench to torment tired defenders or add a little magic is great. Not to mention having the likes of Ramsey or Chukwuemeka to add some energy in the middle. Nakamba, if we need to put some steel in there too!

However, this also means we have the flexibility to do both formations throughout the season! We have options!

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings

Traore - Ings - Buendia

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings

Traore - Ings - Buendia

May I make some minor alterations? Again, not serious though 🤣
Who wouldn’t love to see…

Martinez

Tuanzebe    Konsa       Mings

Buendia    Luiz  McGinn   Watkins

Traore    Ings   Bailey

All out attack! Who gives a shit?! 🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

You cant leave Watkins out when fit, after last season and you cant leave Ings out, so we have to build a team around having those two up front together. 

But we like to play with wingers, as they're arguably our best players, and any 2 man midfield we can create isn't strong enough.

I don't see how it can work.

21 hours ago, lexicon said:

But we like to play with wingers, as they're arguably our best players, and any 2 man midfield we can create isn't strong enough.

I don't see how it can work.

A 2 man midfield will get overrun by most teams in the PL

Â