Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So true. It was a ridiculous overreaction all summer. 

It really wasn’t. I think our midfield 3 have started well and deserve to keep their place but there are plenty of people on here who want to progress and finish higher than 11th so naturally they wanted to sign a player to improve arguably the weaker areas of our squad. 

We’re 4 games in and we have 4 points. Let’s see where we are after 20/30 games before labelling posters ambitions to improve as ‘ridiculous overreactions’.

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It really wasn’t. I think our midfield 3 have started well and deserve to keep their place but there are plenty of people on here who want to progress and finish higher than 11th so naturally they wanted to sign a player to improve arguably the weaker areas of our squad. 

We’re 4 games in and we have 4 points. Let’s see where we are after 20/30 games before labelling posters ambitions to improve as ‘ridiculous overreactions’.

People forget that. It's a really poor return. 

Pressure will start to mount up soon if we don't find a win out of somewhere. 

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I want to improve. I want to finish higher than 11th. I want to sign a new midfield player. That's a little different to the breakdown some were having over it. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

2 newly promoted teams + European champions in the first 4 games is a lot trickier of a start than it appears on paper. And that's without even taking into account the litany of injuries and suspensions we've had to deal with in that time. Oddly enough, I think we're a much stronger team than the one that got 12 points from the first 4 games last season.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

2 newly promoted teams + European champions in the first 4 games is a lot trickier of a start than it appears on paper. And that's without even taking into account the litany of injuries and suspensions we've had to deal with in that time. Oddly enough, I think we're a much stronger team than the one that got 12 points from the first 4 games last season.

Where is our next win coming from? 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I can see us playing a 4-4-2 that can switch to a 4-3-3 anytime during the game.

That's sort of what we did in the second half against Newcastle, except in reverse. We started 4-3-3 but with a lead, Buendia tucked in on our right when we were defending. Ghaza did it on the left sometimes too, making it like a 4-5-1 in defense.

So, given that Deano is adapting to the opposition, who knows anything about Everton? I'm not making any predictions about a formation until I know something about them.

Edited by TomC
Added Everton comment

We could have beaten Chelsea by a couple of goals yesterday.

We know why we didn't .... errors .... not clinical enough etc.

But the basic game is there. If we'd beaten Chelsea they couldn't have complained.

We're nowhere near the finished article yet, but we can beat any team if we have a close to 100% performance. That's exciting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Everton will be going into that game as big favorites.

They're on 10 points and joint top if they win against Burnley tomorrow.

Oddschecker has us at 8/5 favourites and Everton at 2/1 so if you think they’re that good then you can triple your money on them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You know what, sometimes I don't get the stigma people have about 3 - 5 - 2 being " defensive " or a damage limitation formation.

I actually like it.

To be able to involve Bailey, Watkins and Ings from the off though, we might do with a 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ?

Luiz/Nakamba sitting.

McGinn/Ramsey central.

Bailey left, Buendia right.

Ollie/Ings up top.

If I'm honest, I struggle to see how I can fit all my favourite players into the team all at once, while keeping sensible balance.

We might have to sacrifice Ings at points.

A genuine headache.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Everton will be going into that game as big favorites.

They're on 10 points and joint top if they win against Burnley tomorrow.

So what, if we get an early goal I reckon we should get 4. Someone is going to end up getting hammered in the very near future

• Like 1

Saturday was probably the best press that i have ever seen villa play. And it works best with McGinn Watkins Ramsey and Ings as they are all tireless workers. We seriously spooked em . They were like wasps . So any kind of formation that allows us to swarm all over the opposing teams midfield and defence is fine by me .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You know what, sometimes I don't get the stigma people have about 3 - 5 - 2 being " defensive " or a damage limitation formation.

I actually like it.

To be able to involve Bailey, Watkins and Ings from the off though, we might do with a 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ?

Luiz/Nakamba sitting.

McGinn/Ramsey central.

Bailey left, Buendia right.

Ollie/Ings up top.

If I'm honest, I struggle to see how I can fit all my favourite players into the team all at once, while keeping sensible balance.

We might have to sacrifice Ings at points.

A genuine headache.

We could go really balls out and play 3-5-2 with Bailey left and Buendia right of the 5 :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Saturday was probably the best press that i have ever seen villa play. And it works best with McGinn Watkins Ramsey and Ings as they are all tireless workers. We seriously spooked em . They were like wasps . So any kind of formation that allows us to swarm all over the opposing teams midfield and defence is fine by me .

Buendia is also a very good presser, so when he gets up to speed we'll be a proper nuisance to play against.

• Like 1

Â