Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know most of the speculation on here is for attacking players....and I am not about to kick a gift horse in the mouth.

but the facts are we scored 55 goals during the season 3 behind Chelsea, who finished 4th, with all their fire power and Champions league finalists.

The complilation of our goals is most encouraging.....absolute belters, this team is not shy of scoring good, well taken goals......missing our talisman for 12 games to boot.

Our back 5 can defend too, so no complaints there......but Midfield, we are short of players who can control a game, stay on the ball, release it with aplomb, and direct proceedings....A player who can protect the back 4 as well as he can launch an attack.

These players don't grow on trees......all th more reason why, it should be our priority.

spot one, and make one offer they can't refuse.

I think there will always be ONE occasion where you have to prize away that one player that transforms you, I think we have to do that.

Many moons ago, I remember a player arriving who did just that, transformed us, raised the level, could play a ball and land it on a sixpence and could equally make a tackle Norman Hunter would be proud of, he had vision and a heart.....That player was Alex Cropley.

Wish we could find a player like that( modern version of) for our midfield.

Seems very likely Dougie will continue as a 6 next season. From project restart last season to Christmas/Jan this year he was superb in that role. Smith just needs to help him recapture his form in pre-season. 

Encouraged also by that link to Pape Sarr at Metz, only 18 and seems to be more in the mould of the destroyer type of DM you’re after. Would happily take him onboard as one for the future.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Seems very likely Dougie will continue as a 6 next season. From project restart last season to Christmas/Jan this year he was superb in that role. Smith just needs to help him recapture his form in pre-season. 

Encouraged also by that link to Pape Sarr at Metz, only 18 and seems to be more in the mould of the destroyer type of DM you’re after. Would happily take him onboard as one for the future.

I think you misread what I am after.....A destroyer is what we have in Marv.....I love Marv, but no sure he has enough to hurt teams, when he has won the ball.

I get what you say with Dougie, and I want you to be right, but not sure he will reach the player, I am looking for.....fine going forward, really not sure about him without the ball....I think we surrender the midfield with him too easily.

No its not what I am after at all....I want a player as I have described who can win a ball and scheme too.....a General....a Viera or a Roy Keane or a Declan Rice....perhaps they are a lofty ask, but that has to be the aim.

someone who can control a game, not just a stopper, with no vision.

I think Raiky could be one if we groomed him in that way....he is young enough to mould the way we want him.....he has all the basics, we just need to create the player we want.....just a bit early for him.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Picking a fight?! Sweet jesus. I disagreed with a comment, I commented on it. Is that not one of the purposes or a forum? I also agreed with a comment of yours, and commented on it. Take a breath my friend, its the weekend.

Welcome to VT

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you misread what I am after.....A destroyer is what we have in Marv.....I love Marv, but no sure he has enough to hurt teams, when he has won the ball.

I get what you say with Dougie, and I want you to be right, but not sure he will reach the player, I am looking for.....fine going forward, really not sure about him without the ball....I think we surrender the midfield with him too easily.

No its not what I am after at all....I want a player as I have described who can win a ball and scheme too.....a General....a Viera or a Roy Keane or a Declan Rice....perhaps they are a lofty ask, but that has to be the aim.

I think Raiky could be one if we groomed him in that way....he is young enough to mould the way we want him.....he has all the basics, we just need to create the player we want.....just a bit early for him.

Couldn’t agree more, I would take just 1 signing this year as long it was this - don’t ask me who though, not sure they make them like viera/Keane anymore :( 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Couldn’t agree more, I would take just 1 signing this year as long it was this - don’t ask me who though, not sure they make them like viera/Keane anymore :( 

They are out there....you just have to have a wider vision of world football than me.

and more importantly, you have to be sure of the impact they will make.....I am 110% sure about that.

I've seen people mention buying 2 central midfielders (DMC and AMC) on here - don't think it's happening.  Sanson has been purchased already to fill a role in the middle (poss the more attacking midfielder) and I think Chukwuemeka is going to be brought through as well.  It would be nice to go for a more defensive player, though.

I think we'll be looking for more creativity in the forward areas as we badly lacked it when Grealish was out injured.  Makes sense that we're seeing links with Buendia, therefore.  Wouldn't be surprised to see us make some defensive moves as well - LB and CB.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

A fit, Grealish-Watkins- Traore.......can be up there with the best on form....I am not saying, we don't need a striker, but the middle is where we need to Invest big, if we are intending to.

its behind them we need class....we need to get the CDM-CM-CAM right, the right balance.

Edited by TRO

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Welcome to VT

If we aren't going to sign another strong CM/CDM, I'd almost want to insist Marvellous plays ( As if Deano is listening to me. Lol ).

No problem with Doug being in the side as a CM:

Luiz/McGinn.               Sanson/Ramsey

Nakamba

For example.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we aren't going to sign another strong CM/CDM, I'd almost want to insist Marvellous plays ( As if Deano is listening to me. Lol ).

No problem with Doug being in the side as a CM:

Luiz/McGinn.               Sanson/Ramsey

Nakamba

For example.

JV Nothing would please me more, than to see Dougie and Marv add the missing links to their game....but we can't hang around waiting for that to happen.

They are squad players for me and the complete versions of a  No 6 needs to be signed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Giroud has already agreed terms with AC Milan. It was a done deal months ago, possible pending on if Milan had missed out on the CL.

see, likes Spagetti more than a Balti.

can't think of anything else it could be?

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

I think Ramsey needs a loan in the championship. He may well be good enough in future but I haven’t seen it from him yet. If he hadn’t come through the academy then there’s no way we’d be signing him from elsewhere to play in that role right now. 

That said, I think Chuk can be eased in without a loan because he’s on a different level to Jacob.

Important to remember how much players, and especially young players can develoo from one season. A player can look absolutely lost one season and look brilliant the next.

I'm all for giving Ramsey a loan, but I wouldn't be surprised if looked the part next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Agree here, I would spend the max on this position, then work around that, it's that piece of the jigsaw that will transform us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

55-70k in wages I would imagine.

Heaton was on 40k a week. And I don't think Taylor or Elmo would be on more than 5-10k a week in the championship. The only way it would be above that is if they had massive promotion kickers. 

We signed Taylor from a premier league club. Given he was with Swansea from about 2010 when they went up to premier league he obviously signed a few deals for them and full Welsh international so he'd have been on 30-40k there.

5-10k for those sorts would be about twenty years ago so shows how crazy football wages have got that for the three we've released I agree it would be closer to 100k a week.