Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Yep, plus 2 goals and 5 assists in 36 PL games doesn’t scream 1st choice winger target. 

The articles this morning claim that Pep was interested in him previously but a deal didn’t come together. Must be something in his game that you and I aren’t seeing. 

I think the argument for is age (21 if I recall) and that his production is due to playing in a largely one dimensional Burnley side (from an attacking point of view).

I don’t know if he’s my favourite as I generally like to see production, he does have some very good traits though that will probably result in better production in a more attacking/better side.

Buendia is the player I want. I'll be quite disappointed if we don't sign him now. I think playing him centrally and having him play balls in behind for Watkins would be perfect. He's also got enough about him to take the pressure off Jack a bit and free him up on the pitch.

Please make it so Villa.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Yes, Koopmeiners would be ideal or someone similar. I hope Smith can see that Luiz shouldn't be played as a DCM. He'd be much more effective futher forward with a proper DCM behind him.

Koopmeiners tackle and defensive numbers aren’t that good tbh. He strikes as more of a box to box mid than a DM.

20 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I'm not 100% sold on Luiz yet. For me, he needs to do a lot more. I think him rotating with Sanson will be good competition for them both. Basically, I like Luiz for his ball control and passing abilities and like Nakamba for his tackling and breaking up the play. If we could somehow combine them into one player it would be perfect.

Isn’t that such a common & relevant point for so many of our players…? 😆

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

You don't know Rashica would be any better. In fact he was pretty shit in relegated team

Exactly, was just about to write the same. Why do we keep on bringing up his name? He wasn't interested in joining us before the season, because he thought we were relegation candidates and now he is relegated with Werder. We can better players than him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Buendia is the player I want. I'll be quite disappointed if we don't sign him now. I think playing him centrally and having him play balls in behind for Watkins would be perfect. He's also got enough about him to take the pressure off Jack a bit and free him up on the pitch.

Please make it so Villa.

Same here. If he can make Pukki look good, he’ll make Ollie world class! 😆

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I am yet to see what the fuss is.

Same.

It would look more like a “squad filler” signing than a genuine upgrade and impact signing, we have youngsters coming through as it is. We need top quality players to replace improve on existing first teamers.

He is going to cost a hell of a lot too, not worth it imo.

Again, if true that he’s a target, he’s probably lower down on a list of options.

Going from Buendia to McNeil would be a major disappointment though. There will be other targets but Buendia would be excellent.

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Comedy gold 

I think Bruno Fernandes is the difference between Manure struggling and where they finished this season

They were 8th (or so) before Fernandes came. That's a very big difference to a team that would be battling relegation without grealish. 

34 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

They were 8th (or so) before Fernandes came. That's a very big difference to a team that would be battling relegation without grealish. 

You've partially made my point regarding Manure. It was initially about Greenwood vs bringing in Villa youth. There's more factors to our drop off in form than Grealish getting injured. Barkley looking decent before hobbling off "injured" and being mostly shit ever since. Covid outbreak more than any other PL team. We don't/probably won't ever know how that affected our season categorically. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

12 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

You may well be right.  However, I don't remember us exiting many players last summer, other than Samatta (replaced by/upgraded to Ollie), a couple of goalkeepers (we had too many but also upgraded to Martinez) and then Lansbury - who hadn't featured anyway - followed in January by loans for Hourihane (when Sanson came in) and Guilbert. 

This summer, there are more exits/long term injuries requiring replacing

1. Losing 4 squad members from the Back five Elmo - I believe Guilbert is adequate cover for Cash; Taylor - we definitely need LB cover; Heaton - it appears that they may want to replace Heaton with PL experience; Engels - all reports are that he is leaving and we definitely need a fourth choice CB with Tuanzebe being linked.  These are all cover/back up signings that I don't see being a big spend but I'm not sure how you could not do at least the LB cover and CB if Engels goes.
  2. Major creative upgrades required (also replacements) Most recognise additional attacking creativity is needed as a priority, including Smith it appears, to "help Jack".  For me this is a RW to compete with Traore - replacing the injured Trez - and an ACM/LW (depending on what they want to do with Jack G) - replacing Barkley. 

That's four to five to replace seemingly known losses/exits, but only two are major acquisitions.

Then there are a couple of potential upgrades required

1. The other key area I would prioritise is a DCM - I think we have missed a strong defensive presence all season and particularly against certain opposition.  Nakamba has had some good games - particularly when we are under the cosh, but I don't see his ball retention/distribution as good enough for him to play if we aspire to be a top half team.
  2. There is the big question re a back up/alternate "9" - There is a lot of speculation re Wes going out on loan.  If he does, we will have to buy a replacement.  I would love Edouard, as I think he is a bargain at the mooted £20m, but could see us return for Tammy, particularly if this is seen as a move that will help to keep Jack on board.

Lastly, and this is where I am possibly being greedy, I think we need cover at "10" and there is a couple of good young, relatively cheap options in Turnbull or Olise - if you believe the gossip/mooted prices.  Of course we could play two "8"'s in a 4-3-3 but our best performances have, imho, been when we have played 4-2-3-1 with a "10".

I find it hard to imagine any of our youngsters coming in next season as the second choice option for a team aspiring to the "Top 8".  They are still so young (most still 17 or 18) and inexperienced.  I would expect a number of them to be on loan or potentially in and around the first team squad and getting on the bench in the event of injuries (i.e. third choice cover).

I could see this being achieved for a net spend of circa £100m, if we signed, say, Rashica for £14m and Edouard for £20m, but more if we went with more expensive options.  Achievable for our owners and in line with the past couple of seasons spend.  Also, and I do see this as important, they know that they need to spend in the right places to keep Jack at Villa Park.  

I think the talk of three or four might be the major acquisitions that could come in as starters - RW, DCM and ACM/LW and, possibly a "9" - but I also think we will need 2 or 3 cover/back up just to replace known squad exits??

I would welcome 4/5, just have lowered my expectations based on Purslows comments. He said a couple, rather than a few...so I'm expecting 2 marquee, and maybe 1 more filler. I guess i don't see them buying "backups" as it's money down the drain effectively...in that they don't offer any future value. May get some 21yr olds not far off stepping up,  but players like that won't be cheap.

Guilbert can play on the left and right, and given the ever presence of Targett, they may feel comfortable having only him and emergency cover. Assume that fthey're both out at the same time and we have Kesler not far off coming in and doing a job short term.

Engels hasn't played at all this season.. or barely if my memory fails me. Doesn't desperately need replacing.

I think they'll be very selective and give us as much leeway as possible with regards to the main options we want/need.

For you its 2 forward positions, for me it's one forward and one CDM.  Our current front line is pretty flexible, so not fussed where the signing can play, but think an ability to play on the right is key. Would give us the following options:

Jack- middle / left

Aeg - Left

Traoré - right / middle

New signing - right / ?

McGinn/Sanson - middle

Agree Nakamba looked capable at CDM as a destroyer, but he is the seemingly weakest link in terms of position where we lack quality AND depth.

Not sure we need another 10, but a backup striker if Wesley is going would be nice.  If they're planning to keep Davis and actually think he's good enough as a backup then it's a position we're again not desperate for, but would be screwed (akin to how we were with Grealish this season) if Watkins gets injured.

Guess we'll see, I'd welcome being wrong, but setting expectations low to hopefully be pleasantly suprised.

👍

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Probably 100k between the 3 of them? Plus Barkley was on that by himself.... So that's a total of 200k so far.

Has Barkley officially **** off?

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Probably 100k between the 3 of them? Plus Barkley was on that by himself.... So that's a total of 200k so far.

They have done OK for us and in a strange way, the Heaton injury gave us Emi but this feels almost like the last part of the clear up, like the club can really now move on to the next level.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Sad to see them leave but very exciting as it's an end to another chapter. We are going from strength to strength and we are pushing on. 

Yeah this is a very good thing, very exciting to see who comes in to push Cash and Targett