Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Villa DMs are never good enough for armchair Villa fans. Some people thought Gueye was shit. Smith identified Nakamba to do a job against Leeds Arsenal Spurs and Chelsea like the good squad DM that he is

Would Nakamba get into any of the top 8 first teams? No. He's not got enough on the ball. If we want to improve then we can get better. Although I like him as a squad option.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Would Nakamba get into any of the top 8 first teams? No. He's not got enough on the ball. If we want to improve then we can get better. Although I like him as a squad option.

True but I also don’t understand why he is being mentioned so much, he’s not first choice - Luiz is. I can’t see him ever being a consistent first choice for us if we continue our ambition and progress.

So if we want to improve on someone then it would be Luiz. He is our first choice DM.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

True but I also don’t understand why he is being mentioned so much, he’s not first choice - Luiz is. I can’t see him ever being a consistent first choice for us if we continue our ambition and progress.

So if we want to improve on someone then it would be Luiz. He is our first choice DM.

the most tired argument on the forum, Luiz is not naturally a DM, he may often play that role and aspects of it he does well, but he is wasted in that position. Nakamba is a far better DM than Luiz is, but Luiz is still a better player.

• Like 1

If there is any truth to this then McNeil might be lower down on a list of targets.

Maybe our first choice is Buendia but if we miss out then we move on to other targets…

Buendia would be excellent for us.

We need that classy no. 10 (Jack then?) and/or LW. Afaik Buendia plays RW but can play CAM too, could he excel at LW?

I’d also like Rashica or a similar kind of player to give us more of a goal threat and something different, a pacy finisher. Can cover up front too, very helpful.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

the most tired argument on the forum, Luiz is not naturally a DM, he may often play that role and aspects of it he does well, but he is wasted in that position. Nakamba is a far better DM than Luiz is, but Luiz is still a better player.

I didn’t say he was but it’s where Dean plays him and wants him… otherwise why has he played there the vast majority of the time since we’ve had him?

You misunderstood my point.

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

Luiz plays there because he's better on the ball, he can pivot, Nakamba can't 

Deano is sacrificing the defending element of the role for the ball contra element of the role

We play Newcastle for example and anticipate 60% of the ball then Luiz is a better option for the position

The problem is deano doesn't rotate Nakamba in enough IMO 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We worked hard on defence during lockdown and it was a major success.

Now, this preseason, the thing we need to work on hardest/most is ball retention, composure and pass selection…

Learn to keep hold of it, especially under pressure, look up before playing the ball and pick out the right man. Constant short passes and playing in triangles will help but players need to make themselves available and give support.

A lot of the time we get it out to the wing, for example (I’d like us to mix it up and play through the middle a bit, not so predictable), and the receiver is left isolated and crowded out and, again, we easily surrender possession. We need to get closer to each other and keep playing…

👏👏👏  This.

Without Jack our ball retention is woeful.

To be fair was still a problem even when Jack was playing, how could we not close out that game at Burnley ????

Edited by Villaphil
Terrible grammar

1 minute ago, Villaphil said:

👏👏👏  This.

Without Jack our ball retention is woeful.

To be fair was still a problem even when Jack was playing, how could we not close out that game at Burnley ????

Without Jack we struggle, no doubt. But we must improve as a team overall, we can’t afford to be so poor without one player, no matter how good he is.

And if we do improve then Jack will thrive even more. We must stop being so over reliant on him.

It’s time for Deano/the club to stop talking about it and actually, properly address it (sadly, the Barkley move didn’t work out). I don’t think just buying one player will solve it either.

One way is to sign better players but we also need to go the other way, improve our play and existing players.

Just now, Nigel said:

I would like some pace on the wing!

Not jut any bullet like speed, I want the type that hurts your eyes to watch him!

spacer.png

(Shit scared is that defence)

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

To be honest I don't want Luiz anywhere near that position again. We're far too lightweight when he plays there.

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

To be honest I don't want Luiz anywhere near that position again. We're far too lightweight when he plays there.

I don’t disagree but Dean sees him as our first choice DM, has played him there so much.

The same cannot be said for Nakamba, some people seem to be getting carried away with him but he has hardly played over the course of the season despite some good performances. He doesn’t help us control possession and be progressive, he is a destroyer.

I think we need a new player in MF, a Koopmeiners type.

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Jas10 said:

I don’t disagree but Dean sees him as our first choice DM, has played him there so much.

I think we need a new player in MF, a Koopmeiners type.

Yes, Koopmeiners would be ideal or someone similar. I hope Smith can see that Luiz shouldn't be played as a DCM. He'd be much more effective futher forward with a proper DCM behind him.

McNeil had a terribly underwhelming season. Can't remember exactly where I saw it but even beyond goals and assists he was generally poor in terms of progressively carrying the ball, creating chances (think Barnes and Vydra on average created more in open play) and so forth. I know Burnley aren't exactly the most creative side in the world but that is literally his job for them.

Wouldn't trust a Gregg Evans link anyway, he seems a nice fella but his track record isn't great. In the hypothetical event we signed him I'd trust the recruitment staff though, they certainly know better than most of us would. Just would be surprised given the English premium McNeil would cost relative to how much he'd improve us, which I'm not sure would be a whole lot.

• Like 1

Just now, Okonokos said:

Yes, Koopmeiners would be ideal or someone similar. I hope Smith can see that Luiz shouldn't be played as a DCM. He'd be much more effective futher forward with a proper DCM behind him.

Tbh, can you see Luiz getting much game time if this happens? Because we have McGinn (Dean’s fave) & Sanson essentially competing for 1 spot and we need a CAM, Jack or someone else, as it showed how exceptional we can be with one last year. 

I’d like him to stay and develop with us and would have no qualms over Nakamba leaving but also happy to have him in the squad as backup and to help see games out.

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

What exactly is Luiz’s role for Brazil?

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

What exactly is Luiz’s role for Brazil?

Same as it mostly has been for us, playing in a 2 in a 4-2-3-1. Just he has Casemiro playing next to him who is the quintessential defensive midfielder rather than McGinn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Not keen on McNeil personally because he would cost a bomb (Burnley won’t sell cheaply) and there is better & better value out there.

I am yet to see what the fuss is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tbh, can you see Luiz getting much game time if this happens? Because we have McGinn (Dean’s fave) & Sanson essentially competing for 1 spot and we need a CAM, Jack or someone else, as it showed how exceptional we can be with one last year. 

I’d like him to stay and develop with us and would have no qualms over Nakamba leaving but also happy to have him in the squad as backup and to help see games out.

I'm not 100% sold on Luiz yet. For me, he needs to do a lot more. I think him rotating with Sanson will be good competition for them both. Basically, I like Luiz for his ball control and passing abilities and like Nakamba for his tackling and breaking up the play. If we could somehow combine them into one player it would be perfect.

• Like 2