Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Edouard at £20m would be cheap for a striker.  He would be perfect for us but will obviously attract other interest, including Rodgers at Leicester who is probably favourite given they will have CL, are playing two up top and have the old connection.

Watkins and/or Edouard with Wes as third choice would be a really strong three.

I would let KD out on loan then - I still see a player there and his performance last Sunday pointed to that. 

I don’t know enough about Edouard to comment on his quality or price so I bow to your knowledge.

With Iheanacho fine form backing up Vardy along with Perez, is Rodgers going to be that interested in Edouard despite his feelings towards him?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

This!

We are now at the point that we should be buying players who are better than our starting XI, pushing our current players to the bench or having a hard fight to keep their place.  

Taking my Villa blinkers off, only Emi and Jack are not likely to be bettered.  We have fantastic players like Konsa and Ollie but if somebody comes along whose better and a deal could be struck, bring them in.  Obviously we want to focus on our weak areas further forward but we shouldn’t look away if a better player in any position could be gettable.  What we mustn’t do is buy a load of squad fillers.

Agree with this in principle but I think it would be harsh and probably inefficient with our transfer policy/priorities to try and buy better than our current back 5 at this stage. Also probably difficult to attract too high a level of player to come in and compete with the 3rd best (?) back 5 in the league when we probably won't have European football to allow rotation/opportunities without injury etc..

We need to find the left back equivalent of Konsa to come in and understudy Targett (and ultimately compete).

What we do for a fourth choice CB may depend upon Revan's development?  He is not young and may need a squad chance?  He looked good v Liverpool but that is the only time I have seen him.  We potentially have to give these kids a chance if we are to continue to attract the best talent.  May be a similar position at RB cover where Kessler could be ready to step up/challenge.  Equally, he made need a year out on loan in which case it might make sense to utilise Guilbert as second choice for a year rather than making a signing that could block Kessler? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t know enough about Edouard to comment on his quality or price so I bow to your knowledge.

With Iheanacho fine form backing up Vardy along with Perez, is Rodgers going to be that interested in Edouard despite his feelings towards him?

I would have thought so given Vardy's age.  He does miss runs of games with injuries now as well.

He has used Perez as a 10 when Maddison has been injured.

His two has come from Vardy, Ineacho and Barnes, so two from four and/or three competing for the "9" (in a 4-3-3) is not excessive, particularly when you have CL games as well.

• Like 1

Saša Kalajdžić From Stuggart wound be a great signing as he offers something different to what we have currently. Being linked with Dortmund though to replace Haaland. Abdallah Sima Is another worth checking out due to his versatility. 

23 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I would have thought so given Vardy's age.  He does miss runs of games with injuries now as well.

Not massively though because the last three years he’s averaged 40 games per season and he’s played 31 games already this season and scored 14 goals.  His age is against him I agree.

25 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

His two has come from Vardy, Ineacho and Barnes, so two from four and/or three competing for the "9" (in a 4-3-3) is not excessive, particularly when you have CL games as well.

Would Eduoard be happy being in that ratio especially when it’s likely that Vardy next season will still get bulk of the time so a bit of rotation of the others.  I don’t know the answer as I don’t know the player.

It will also depend who they sell because they are a sell to buy club with Chilwell 50m last summer, Maguire 78m the summer before and Mahrez 60m the summer before that, which all fund those summers buys.  Their net spend is never much.  

This assumes they or even us are interested in Eduoard.

Given the boards plan of investing in the brightest young talent , when do we think they will push through to the first team ? Does Barry go out on loan to the championship next season with a view of being a starter at villa the season after , or do we drop him in the first team squad next season , in which case we won’t be dropping £40m on someone in that position, given we also have Wesley ( and Davis to a lesser extent )  ... and so on for other positions , Ramsey is likely to be in front of £14m Sanson next season and both are arguably going to be behind Doug and McGinn , if we invest on upgrades in midfield to those 2 , then Sanson becomes a a £14m player who doesn’t even make the bench and I don’t see that happening tbh

Our main priorities are upgrades on Trez , El G and Traore ( I’d keep Traore  and bin the other 2 )  and with Engels going a CB that can improve on Mings / Konsa or be their equal.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I get where you're coming from and I agree with an awful lot of it - but I think we will absolutely need to go out and get a LB, even if it's one that doesn't knock Targett out of the side. If he's injured or suspended we currently don't have one. I'd love to see us pick up a really talented nineteen or twenty year old left back that can compete for the spot but won't grumble too much about the bench.

Hopefully our boys are aware of Josh Doig, he's the man to fill that spot I think.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure to be honest. 

A bit like at spurs, they don't sign forwards to compete with Kane, they sign back ups. 

I can see us doing similar. I don't think we're currently a big enough pull to sign a big money striker to come and compete for a starting spot.

I think in other spots it will be different.

What I mean is that we'll sign players to compete with the current starting XI. Excepting Grealish, Konsa and Martinez, because we cannot feasibly improve on them.

Everybody else should rightly expect a genuine challenge. It's healthy.

It's what ambitious big clubs do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Edouard at £20m would be cheap for a striker.  He would be perfect for us but will obviously attract other interest, including Rodgers at Leicester who is probably favourite given they will have CL

You're not wrong.

Edouard would be an incredible signing at £20m and I have no worry he would be fine in the PL.

It's the other teams that can offer him CL football that would possibly see us miss out on him if we were to try and sign him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You're not wrong.

Edouard would be an incredible signing at £20m and I have no worry he would be fine in the PL.

It's the other teams that can offer him CL football that would possibly see us miss out on him if we were to try and sign him.

Again I don’t know much about Eduoard but would CL clubs be interested in him (exc Leicester who we’ve talked about above)?  

Rumours of the big clubs interested in Haaland and potentially Kane....without even knowing Edouard it would seem an incredible drop in player from them named players to Eduoard, wouldn’t it?  

Just seems the big clubs are shopping in a higher market than what Eduoard seems to be.  

While it sounds like he’d be great for us, it sounds like a let down for big clubs who are talking to Haaland and Kane to then end up with Eduoard.

If Saint Maximin stays fit for a period and continues to improve. He will eventually get a very big move. The way he takes players on with both close control and pace is quite unique.  I’d put wager on him moving for big money summer after this one. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Saint Maximin stays fit for a period and continues to improve. He will eventually get a very big move. The way he takes players on with both close control and pace is quite unique.  I’d put wager on him moving for big money summer after this one. 

I thought that about Adama Traore last season but he’s fell away badly.  It’ll be interesting to see how Saint Maximin does next season.

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I thought that about Adama Traore last season but he’s fell away badly.  It’ll be interesting to see how Saint Maximin does next season.

That’s true but I don’t think Traore is actually that skilful. He’s all about pace and power and has become quite predictable. Also not the most intelligent of player and never will be. 

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

So what.

Are we gonna sign a 30 million striker to sit on the bench in case somebody does a Ben Mee on Watkins?

Far fetched. Davis and Wesley is about as good of back up strikers we can hope for imo.

We'll keep signing quality because Smith wants competition for places. That's just normal transfer strategy for a wealthy club. The idea that we have a first 11 and then a bunch of benchwarmers is completely outdated. Sure Watkins can play 90 mins most weeks, that doesn't mean we'll resign ourselves to only having players of Davis/Wesley's level as backup. Not sure what point you're making here.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Again I don’t know much about Eduoard but would CL clubs be interested in him (exc Leicester who we’ve talked about above)?  

Rumours of the big clubs interested in Haaland and potentially Kane....without even knowing Edouard it would seem an incredible drop in player from them named players to Eduoard, wouldn’t it?  

Just seems the big clubs are shopping in a higher market than what Eduoard seems to be.  

While it sounds like he’d be great for us, it sounds like a let down for big clubs who are talking to Haaland and Kane to then end up with Eduoard.

I was thinking of other CL clubs outside UK. I'll name drop PSG as an example.

However, that being said, the economy with clubs cross Europe and elsewhere due to the Covid aftermath, I don't think that there will be many clubs throwing money around like confetti.

Let everyone get caught up in the Kane and Haaland hype (fed up hearing about him) and we can focus on getting other players in of this quality for a bargain price.

As @VillaChris mentioned, our PL danger comes from Leicester City in trying to get Edouard.

- Whether they actually sign him is another story.

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We'll keep signing quality because Smith wants competition for places. That's just normal transfer strategy for a wealthy club. The idea that we have a first 11 and then a bunch of benchwarmers is completely outdated. Sure Watkins can play 90 mins most weeks, that doesn't mean we'll resign ourselves to only having players of Davis/Wesley's level as backup. Not sure what point you're making here.

Signing a top quality striker to accept being second choice to Ollie or 'fighting for his place' as you put it  is easier said than done.

This is what Liverpool have struggled with for years. It isn't as easy as it sounds. This isn't football manager.

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1