Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive noticed ollie does drop deep esp on the  left and he wins the ba back going forward  but the problem is as he is the cf there is no one up there to make the quick break when he does that.  If ee had tammy that would solve that issue.

I definitely think having tammy and ollie in the same team takes us to a different level, and that's even before you add grealish

This would require a change in formation when we've spent a season building our style. Our issue is not CF or LF. It is RW and midfield 3. 

I think it's the lack of a big physical ball winning all action DM we are missing. Pairing that player with a Luiz or Sanson allows them to find a forward player. Sanson carries the ball forward himself while Luiz can pick the pass so we've options there. That then allows McGinn, JJ or a new signing at 10 to get forward with our front 3.

This worked so well when Barkley was in top form and when Luiz and McGinn were in top form. I think teams have worked us out in midfield and Ross has fallen off a cliff in terms of form. Watkins ending up on left wing is fine if McGinn is running into the box like Barkley was doing. 

I see absolute priority is big money right winger signing who will love the fact teams will over mark Jack and they'll have space. We also need to prioritise the big ball winning midfielder. I'd like a 10 signed too (Olise can play LW, RW, of 10) and JJ to go out on loan and play week in week out in championship or with Norwich or someone just promoted. Replacing Taylor and Engels to round out the window

I agree that the midfield is unbalanced at the moment but surely up front is a priority as at present we have only one fit proven goalscorer?

McGrath forbid if Ollie gets a nasty injury in pre season we are fooked.

Edited by The Fun Factory

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In the last England squad as a striker  ahead of Tammy but we should buy Tammy for the £40m+ Chelsea would want for him and shift Ollie out wide... 

Add Tammy to the list of ex players we have a strange obsession over bringing back 

He's a decent player, not better than Ollie and not worth what Chelsea will want for him, we need a striker for depth no doubt but we don't need Tammy 

Agreed. That surely is our previous record signing Wesley and with Barry (who is 18 in summer) promoted to first team and Davis loaned to a championship club for the season. That's CF sorted as Traore can play there too if needed

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

We spent close to £30 million on him to play as a striker and by all accounts the club love him there. 

There's no chance that 12 months later we shift him out wide. 

I think there is a possibility of it happening only if tammy was signed

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed. That surely is our previous record signing Wesley and with Barry (who is 18 in summer) promoted to first team and Davis loaned to a championship club for the season. That's CF sorted as Traore can play there too if needed

In my opinion thats a massive gamble because i think of ollie gets injured we struggle. Barry's young he has to be phased in. The expectations of him already are massive

Wesley god knows how good or bad he will be but it could months for him to get back to the level he was and that is if he doesnt get injured again.

As for traore smith has never played him there he has chosen to use Davis as a sub than play traore there.

I think we should go for tammy get a rw  (my choice would be lookman) and lb in to challenge targett.

Other than that id let engels go and get another cb to challenge mings.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But why? Tammy isn't better

If we were lining up Haaland then yeah obviously but not Tammy

I also think the importance of ollies pressing of the CBs is lost if you love him out wide, its a big change 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The point being, why would Tammy be signed. I love Tammy as much as every other Villa fan but we have our two club record signings and an incredible young talent for that position. We need to sign a Right Forward not move our Centre Forward to Right Forward. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The point being, why would Tammy be signed. I love Tammy as much as every other Villa fan but we have our two club record signings and an incredible young talent for that position. We need to sign a Right Forward not move our Centre Forward to Right Forward. 

The reason is we dont just stop because we rate ollie, we need to get players as good as him if not better. Furthermore it adds squad depth to the club something we need.

Tammy adds something different to ollie. Look at liverpool their front three is unbelievable did they stop? No they added jota and he has added alot to their team

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The reason is we dont just stop because we rate ollie, we need to get players as good as him if not better. Furthermore it adds squad depth to the club something we need.

Tammy adds something different to ollie. Look at liverpool their front three is unbelievable did they stop? No they added jota and he has added alot to their team

I don’t think Tammy is better than Ollie, different, not better. So we would be wrong to shift Ollie out wide IMO 

The way I see it is my first choice would be not to sign Tammy and have Barry come into the first team and aid Watkins. That's the cheap way of doing that and it saves money to put else where.

Secondly, we don't promote Barry to first team and we buy a striker, as some would like (Tammy) no one knows the cost, that means Watkins would move to the wing and most likely on the right. He played there for Brentford and was successful. I think the only reason Watkins moved center was because they sold Maupay and noticed they had a good scorer in there hands. Truth is he can play anywhere across the front line and he makes it work.

Thirdly, you don't promote Barry, don't buy Tammy and spend a crap load of cash on a new Striker, Winger as well as a midfielder, you cover all three positions.

What I would like to happen and I hope the Owners see it is we need to spend big on a couple of players. You buy some 50 mil upwards player and in two players time you will of spent over 100 mill. I would rather us spend the money on real quality in positions we most need now which is looking like midfield and Right Winger. There are solutions that make it easy to spend the whole load in those two position like have Barry join Watkins up front, it does him the world of good having first team time and he's more than capable, bout time we let our youth fly.

I think our Owners will spalsh the cash. Watkins has scored a fantastic amount this season for his first. I do not know why they would buy another top striker, I don't think they would when the money can be better spent elsewhere. Priority would be where the main weakness is at and that is RW and midfield and truth is the sale of Ghazi and maybe Trezegeut wil certainly happen.

Edited by Dave-R

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In my opinion thats a massive gamble because i think of ollie gets injured we struggle. Barry's young he has to be phased in. The expectations of him already are massive

Wesley god knows how good or bad he will be but it could months for him to get back to the level he was and that is if he doesnt get injured again.

As for traore smith has never played him there he has chosen to use Davis as a sub than play traore there.

I think we should go for tammy get a rw  (my choice would be lookman) and lb in to challenge targett.

Other than that id let engels go and get another cb to challenge mings.

We're always going to be a team next season where if we lose one of our best players we'll struggle if Jack, Ollie, Mings etc.. get injured for a long period we'll struggle to different degree.

Your option is to write off Wesley, sign Tammy would mean that Wesley will get no game time. We then need to sell Wesley for a big loss (if we can) which we need to add to the cost of signing Tammy as that's the net total of the transfer. It doesn't make sense for us at this time.

On the balance of things the only way the Tammy transfer makes any sense is a formation change and that seems highly unlikely as we would have to reshape the whole midfield. We would have added defensive responsibilities for the wingers which would blunt Jack and Traore for different reasons and with 2 CM we would struggle from the pool we have atm. So we'd need to make multiple new signings along with Tammy to rework a 4 4 2

For me and in my opinion the club this just doesn't make sense.

Wesley hasn't had the chance to prove himself the way Konsa, Targett, Luiz have with the time they've been given to show vast improvement. He deserves the chance especially given the freakish fitness levels of Watkins. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We're always going to be a team next season where if we lose one of our best players we'll struggle if Jack, Ollie, Mings etc.. get injured for a long period we'll struggle to different degree.

Your option is to write off Wesley, sign Tammy would mean that Wesley will get no game time. We then need to sell Wesley for a big loss (if we can) which we need to add to the cost of signing Tammy as that's the net total of the transfer. It doesn't make sense for us at this time.

On the balance of things the only way the Tammy transfer makes any sense is a formation change and that seems highly unlikely as we would have to reshape the whole midfield. We would have added defensive responsibilities for the wingers which would blunt Jack and Traore for different reasons and with 2 CM we would struggle from the pool we have atm. So we'd need to make multiple new signings along with Tammy to rework a 4 4 2

For me and in my opinion the club this just doesn't make sense.

Wesley hasn't had the chance to prove himself the way Konsa, Targett, Luiz have with the time they've been given to show vast improvement. He deserves the chance especially given the freakish fitness levels of Watkins. 

I think what you talk about with Wesley is the one main reason we can't buy another striker yet, so the only choice is to have Barry as I've talked about already, join Watkins as our second striker.

Who knows maybe Barry will kill it out there, I am more than prepared to find out where the road leads with Barry coming on for Watkins in matches. Many will now say Barry isn't strong enough, I've heard all this to much and to be honest it's a load of rubbish. Someone like Barry used a different way to make his build work in the game, he uses speed, technical ability to keep the more physical player away or at bay. Barry would do fine out there, everyone laughed when they thought he wouldn't score against pool, he showed them and that's what he would do is give his doubters a teaching lesson.

Barry for 2nd choice striker while Wesley recovers is my number one choice out of all this floating around. Until Wesley is fit and can put in some games and a decision can be made in his career fairly, i think the choice is simple..

But you can play the current 3-4-3 with Watkins on the right, Grealish left and Tammy center, both work to be honest.That is one heck of a frontline to drool over if I'm to be honest but it will cost when money can be better spent elsewhere. If the Owners bring 200 mill out to play or a blank cheque scenario which is unlikely cus of FFP, then that button could be pushed. Like I said previous message if me you could buy easy three quality players to cover striker, midfielder and RW and spent well over 100m. Maybe the Owners think now is the time to go all big, well as big as they can anyway..

Summer I am looking forward to and I think were all getting excited now seeing only ten games left and wanting it to roll on by quickly.

Edited by Dave-R

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Watkins has played every single minute so Davis has only played with Watkins not instead of him. It would be nice to know what the plan is if Watkins is out but he seems to be the terminator

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tammy is not the only striker in the world 🙄 though he might be one of the most expensive in the world

Yeah but he used to play for us, add him to the "re-sign all our old players" club with milner, benteke, amavi, vertout etc. 

17 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yeah but he used to play for us, add him to the "re-sign all our old players" club with milner, benteke, amavi, vertout etc. 

I don't want any of them back particularly but thinking about it Players Who Used To Play For Us FC could be challenging for top 10 unless of course they were managed by someone who used to manage us, in which case they'd be fighting relegation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Its a strange policy, most people suggest players on here that either played for us or had a good game vs us

Thankfully that Steve Bruce scouting policy doesnt run in the rest of the club

3 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I don't want any of them back particularly but thinking about it Players Who Used To Play For Us FC could be challenging for top 10 unless of course they were managed by someone who used to manage us, in which case they'd be fighting relegation.

of top of my head, defensively we would be poor

Gollini

Young      Tuanzebe  Clark   Amavi

Milner   Gana Veretout  Ayew

Tammy Benteke

Just now, Zatman said:

of top of my head, defensively we would be poor

Gollini

Young      Tuanzebe  Clark   Amavi

Milner   Gana Veretout  Ayew

Tammy Benteke

True, Walker could play CB or RB to improve it. Bertrand in there as well maybe

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Tammy is not the only striker in the world

Correct, he isn't.

I would love for us to go all out and try and tempt Aguero to join.

I know it's an ambitious suggestion, however, I believe he is wanting to stay in the Premier League.