Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I have my doubts as to whether Watkins is technical enough to play out wide. I can’t see us spending a lot on a striker this summer, not when we desperately need a new wide player and a new central midfielder. 

I expect us to bring in a youngish talent from abroad to play second fiddle to Watkins. 

Ive noticed ollie does drop deep esp on the  left and he wins the ba back going forward  but the problem is as he is the cf there is no one up there to make the quick break when he does that.  If ee had tammy that would solve that issue.

I definitely think having tammy and ollie in the same team takes us to a different level, and that's even before you add grealish

• Like 3

Just now, useless said:

If Grealish is still injured now would be a good time to try Watkins in his position, with Davis through the middle. Watkins can play more as wide forward than a winger, but in allowing him to do so we'd probably have to ask our central midfielders to be hold back a little more than usual, similar to how Liverpool play.

The issue I have with this is that Watkins was an average championship player when he played wide for Brentford.  It was only when he moved centrally did it unlock him, so moving him wide in the Premiership I’m not keen on.  

If you are going to play Davis, just play two upfront.  No point sacrificing what Watkins does well just to stick Davis in.  Either play two upfront or Davis doesn’t play because Watkins is the better player and scorer.  I don’t mind what they do but leave Watkins centrally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive noticed ollie does drop deep esp on the  left and he wins the ba back going forward  but the problem is as he is the cf there is no one up there to make the quick break when he does that.  If ee had tammy that would solve that issue.

I definitely think having tammy and ollie in the same team takes us to a different level, and that's even before you add grealish

Completely agree and I think they’d work well as a three.

Watkins was very good in his first season as a winger, not so good in his second but a portion of The Bees' faithful put that down to an injury he was carrying which affected his form. I think it's worth trying him there, but I wouldn't have it down as long term plan, if we're ambitious then we can sign players more proven on the wing than Watkins, we already have at least two in Grealish and Traore.

I would actually like to see Tammy Abraham back at Villa and playing with Ollie Watkins. I've mentioned it before but I think Watkins in behind Abraham would work really well; Watkins work rate out of possession along with Abraham would mean we could utilise the high press well; and in possession they could combine together as a front two.

Something like this:

Abraham

Grealish    Watkins    Traore

McGinn    Luiz

And then able to adapt to this in some games or during periods of games:

Watkins   Abraham

Grealish                         Traore

McGinn   Luiz 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree and I think they’d work well as a three.

I don't.  why do we need to stick with this 433 when Jack is out.  we only went to it to get the best out of Jack.  We don't have good enough players to play in that role with Jack out.  We do have some decent players that can play in different formations.  maybe not top 6 or top 8 quality but enough to finish top 10 and without Jack that would be a phenomenal achievement.

2 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

I don't.  why do we need to stick with this 433 when Jack is out.  we only went to it to get the best out of Jack.  We don't have good enough players to play in that role with Jack out.  We do have some decent players that can play in different formations.  maybe not top 6 or top 8 quality but enough to finish top 10 and without Jack that would be a phenomenal achievement.

My point was about Tammy, Ollie and Jack

Yes I'm sure, very sure and certain, completely confident that one is right. Watkins first season on the wing was his first season with Brentford, Watkins was getting widespread praised for his performances and Brentford in their turn were getting praise for finding him from the lower leagues. He played very well that season on Brentford's left.

He are the search results of him getting praise on this forum during that first season, there will be more, that's just what came up searching for his full name. His form dropped in the second season, but as I say I've seen Brentford fans suggest that was because of an injury he was carrying.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I would actually like to see Tammy Abraham back at Villa and playing with Ollie Watkins. I've mentioned it before but I think Watkins in behind Abraham would work really well; Watkins work rate out of possession along with Abraham would mean we could utilise the high press well; and in possession they could combine together as a front two.

Something like this:

Abraham

Grealish    Watkins    Traore

McGinn    Luiz

And then able to adapt to this in some games or during periods of games:

Watkins   Abraham

Grealish                         Traore

McGinn   Luiz 

It’s not the worst idea, certainly better than the people suggesting putting Watkins out wide.

I wouldn’t do it though, I am very married to the idea of 1 striker 

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

The issue I have with this is that Watkins was an average championship player when he played wide for Brentford.  It was only when he moved centrally did it unlock him, so moving him wide in the Premiership I’m not keen on.  

If you are going to play Davis, just play two upfront.  No point sacrificing what Watkins does well just to stick Davis in.  Either play two upfront or Davis doesn’t play because Watkins is the better player and scorer.  I don’t mind what they do but leave Watkins centrally.

Didn't Ollie play on the wing at Brentford and he and Benrahma were there teams Wingers and they also serviced a striker despite scoring all those goals??

I've not a clue on how they set up at Brentford.

Edit/ for this from the 2nd if February 19/20 season, Brentford game where Ollie scored 2 as a winger. It shows at least he can function as a striker and a winger as he had a successful season before coming here.

Fact is we need to stop this backwards thinking of thinking our players only fit in a singular position. Just like when I've said we would be better using Davis as an attacking midfielder or on the right wing in the past, I got shot to shit for that on here yet I'm not entirely wrong. We have to look at the player they are and what they can do on the field. A player who relentlessly runs all over and makes a nuisance of himself, who has the ability to take the ball from opposition or hold up the ball as were trying to advance can if you think about it fit in many positions.

Watkins can function as a Winger and bringing Tammy in would be a fantastic move all while using Davis as a player behind Tammy or to his right on the wing, it's paints a very nice picture if you ask me.

A little known truth now is that Watkins has in fact played as a LW, ST, RW..

This picture below paints Watkins as a right Winger. Imagine:

Grealish - Tammy  -  Watkins

OR any combo

Grealish/Watkins - Tammy/Watkins - Traore/Davis

0_1617843760977.jpg

Edited by Dave-R

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Fact is we need to stop this backwards thinking of thinking our players only fit in a singular position.

It’s not backwards thinking if it has been tried at Brentford for two seasons and he was ok but nothing special at Championship level.  He excelled when he was moved to central striker as even Dean has said.  If Ollie had remained as winger, he would not likely have excelled and we would’ve likely not brought him.  Dean obviously loved Ollie so may still have happened but he wouldn’t have been 28m would he.

I’m not against trying it but when we have a quality striker like Tammy to replace the loss of Ollie’s quality in the middle.  So for me, it’s next seasons option.  For this season play two up top or just Ollie in my opinion.

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I have a feeling we would say to tammy you will be main man here and try buold a team with ollie and tammy as opposed to competing against one another.

I do think ollie would be more on the left should tammy come in.

I think ollie would add a hell of alot on the left

We spent close to £30 million on him to play as a striker and by all accounts the club love him there. 

There's no chance that 12 months later we shift him out wide. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We spent close to £30 million on him to play as a striker and by all accounts the club love him there. 

There's no chance that 12 months later we shift him out wide. 

In the last England squad as a striker  ahead of Tammy but we should buy Tammy for the £40m+ Chelsea would want for him and shift Ollie out wide... 

Add Tammy to the list of ex players we have a strange obsession over bringing back 

He's a decent player, not better than Ollie and not worth what Chelsea will want for him, we need a striker for depth no doubt but we don't need Tammy 

• Like 3