Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

40 minutes ago, est1874 said:

So 10th then.

As things stand we haven't a hope of getting near 5th.

Seriously, look at West Ham still flying under Moyes; Spurs revitalized under Nuno; Everton looking decent.

Those 3, Leicester, and the usual suspects of Chelsea, United, Citeh and Liverpool will all finish ahead of us as things stand.

It's a lottery then who finishes 9th-10th out of Villa, Leeds, Brentford, and maybe Arsenal (if they sort out their shit) and maybe Brighton.

That's how I see it all as things stand. We can change this by investing in a CM or 2, but I can't see us getting ahead of that aforementioned top 8 without improving the squad now.

Is brentford already considered as a potential midtable team?

Just now, AXD said:

Is brentford already considered as a potential midtable team?

Are you asking if they have the potential to finish midtable?

Of course they do. They're a quality team with a quality manager.

They don't have great strength in depth, but that didn't stop Leeds last year.

They'll do well.

The idea that new players can’t hit the ground running is nonsense. It’s why clubs do the research on personality and charisma before they join. Sometimes it goes wrong, but there are plenty of cases of players being superb from the off. Coufal and Soucek didn’t seem to have any issues performing.

We still need two players if we are serious about kicking on from last season. Everything else points to a 10th-14th place finish - which is fine, if that’s in line with the boards ambition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I can't wait to see Bruno Fernandez this season now that he will be bedded in. He looks to have the potential to be a top player

Stats will be worse, less penalties, unless they get VAR cheatcode. Oh and he's a w4nkerRat

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. He’ll need to be replaced if we want to kick on.

Already has been of course. We bought two attackers who spent most of last season on the right.

Clearly the coaching/recruitment staff are looking at general play as well as goal involvements, which is a relief.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. He’ll need to be replaced if we want to kick on.

Everyone needs to be replaced if we want to kick on. 

Traore is a valuable player for at least the next two seasons. 14 goal contributions and none from penalty spot. He'll improve this season too

17 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't know whether West Ham will finish above us or not, but I really wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. People never learn and do the exact same thing every year, that is overrate or underrate a team based on a good or bad start to the season.

Last year before a ball was kicked, a lot of people including West Hsm fans had them written off as relegation fodder. Many things happen behind the scenes that can have both positive and negative effects on teams. Nobody really knows how players have progressed or regressed, how new players will settle, injuries etc. It’s a bit of a guessing game, even for those people at the clubs who see players daily. Ok their guess is better than ours, I’d like to think so anyway, but only time will really tell. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

This is VT mate, people's mind is categorically made up on the evidence of two games of football.

He asked about potential. We're not talking about absolutes or 'categorical' facts.

Two games of professional football at the highest level of the game is more than enough basis for talking about potential.

Christ, people act like football is so dynamic and mysterious that everything remains a complete unknown until the final ball is kicked.

Of course there are many variables involved, but that doesn't mean you can't start to identify probabilities early on in the season.

Just look at all the people who are happy to predict Norwich relegation currently.

Are you making snide remarks in their direction because they dared to judge with their eyes and got off the fence for long enough to talk about how the season might potentially pan out?