Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t agree that Luiz, Traore or McGinn are too 6-8 players. If they were, we wouldn’t have finished 11th last season with Grealish in the team. 

When Jack was in the team with Luiz, Traore and McGinn were we not playing in the top 6 to 8 positions. It was when Jack was injured we fell down to midtable eventually finishing 11th

• Like 1

I'd like to see a CM and a Keeper come in and we are good to go imo. Emi is in the wars quite often and expecting him to go the season without picking up knocks is fanciful. We need someone more dominant as cover as I just don't like the idea of Steer as back up. It makes me nervous tbh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

When Jack was in the team with Luiz, Traore and McGinn were we not playing in the top 6 to 8 positions. It was when Jack was injured we fell down to midtable eventually finishing 11th

Exactly. Without Jack our form was closer to 17th, which shows that saying the majority of our players are good enough for 5th-8th is nonsense

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Doesn’t that lend to the argument that we relied heavily on Jack and when he wasn’t in the team, the others didn’t step up and our form dropped to that of a relegation side? How does that make them too 6-8 players? Or am I missing something? 

• Like 1

I think there's probably some truth to the Weston Mckennie rumours, ⛈️weather⛈️ we get him will be a different matter but can well see us being interested. He might not be the out and out DM that people are pining for but he can and has played there and would add steel and battling qualities to our midfield regardless of his position within it.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think there's probably some truth to the Weston Mckennie rumours, ⛈️weather⛈️ we get him will be a different matter but can well see us being interested. He might not be the out and out DM that people are pining for but he can and has played there and would add steel and battling qualities to our midfield regardless of his position within it.

I think that’s right. In general our central midfield lacks steel and someone commanding who can boss the game. To a large extent his actual position isn’t that important. It’s how he plays not where he plays. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Exactly. Without Jack our form was closer to 17th, which shows that saying the majority of our players are good enough for 5th-8th is nonsense

Then why is anybody, at all, expecting a top half finish with a possible push for Europe this season?

Shouldn't we be focusing on staying up?

41 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

McKennie scored 5 goals last season. 

6* including his goal in the champions league. McGinn Ramsey and Luiz scored 3 between them. The point was is that Mckennie really isn’t a CDM, and we are absolutely stacked in the position (no.8) he plays 

39 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We turned shit before he got injured, the COVID break screwed us up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

6* including his goal in the champions league. McGinn Ramsey and Luiz scored 3 between them. The point was is that Mckennie really isn’t a CDM, and we are absolutely stacked in the position (no.8) he plays 

He does however has superb defensive output so would work in a 2 in midfield say alongside McGinn / Sanson

Edited by CVByrne

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Pape Sarr to Spurs as good as done.

With the way we have approached the market, this one seemed like a no brainer weeks ago when it came up, the only thing I can think of is that we have a deal for another that's proving difficult to get over the line. This kid looks like he could have a big future.

Or, we really are done and that's it for this window.

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Doesn’t that lend to the argument that we relied heavily on Jack and when he wasn’t in the team, the others didn’t step up and our form dropped to that of a relegation side? How does that make them too 6-8 players? Or am I missing something? 

Our creative players were meant to be Jack, Barkley and Traore. Jack obviously got injured, Barkley got injured and lost all form, Traore obviously chipped in with 14 goal contributions so did excellent in that area given he was slowly introduced into the team. El Ghazi had 5 non penalty goal contributions which were all goals, three of those came in 3 consecutive games over christmas. So after then he contributed 2 goals and zero assists from open play or non penalty set pieces. Not good enough at all.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He does however has superb defensive output so would work in a 2 in midfield say alongside McGinn / Sanson

He could work in a 2 but IMO to play with a midfield 2 you’d need at least 1 natural CDM so would be him and Luiz. Can’t see us saying to McGinn he’s gonna be on the bench. Unless you put Mcginn at 10 which means you can’t play Ings and Watkins unless you put Watkins on the left and then can’t play Buendia or Bailey. I just can’t see it happening at all. I get there are times when players are injured etc, but surely if we we’re to spend £30mill on a player it would have to be a CDM (nailed on starter) you can’t play them all 

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

That’s just not true. “Arguably” at best. No where near “comfortably better.” Heck, West Ham fans I've spoken to aren’t even as high on him as you are. He was mediocre last year. (Obviously he could improve but so far it doesn’t match up to what you’re saying)

Which option is better?

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This. 

A CM partnership of Sanson with his pressing stats and McKennie with his defensive stats would be mighty impressive and still have the balance of offensive capability. 

• Like 1