Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

BARGAINS!! 😆

12 & 35 m would be great but…

What do we do with our current midfielders? Even if we sold Nakamba & Hourihane… there doesn’t really seem to be room for more than one extra player there…

Competition and improvement is great but we also have to manage squad size and our wage budget…

I don’t know if we would have room for both McKennie & Doucoure… but I am all for improving on our current players too…

McGinn, Luiz & Sanson (needs to be given a chance) with Ramsey showing his worth too…that’s 4 first team players in contention for the midfield spots & I think Dean values and rates all of them highly… there is room for a DM and an upgrade on Nakamba…

Another player of a different type, a DM like Doucoure, would be so welcome and required. But do we have room for more? Can McKennie do the DM role? I don’t think we could/would sign both but who knows?… 

We have plenty of box to box midfielders as it is… plus a pathway is needed for the likes of Carney & Aaron…

It’s a tricky one… it’s not easy to keep players happy and settled either… but I also want us to become a better and more formidable team…

Depending on our ambitions, we will eventually have to upgrade on certain players, possibly the likes of McGinn, if we want to reach that next level or two… but it has to be planned out and at the right time… not the easiest of tasks…

I haven't the faintest clue and I would hate to be the one that has to make those decisions. Loan Ramsey then sell Nakamba and Hourihane. Mckennie and Doucoure would be an enormous upgrade to our midfield and with the amount of games being played these days it would make for a healthy rotation of players. Especially if we manage to sneak in a Euro spot this year.

Look at someone like Leicester's midfield: Maddison, Choudury, Albrigton, Tielemens, Mendy, Ndidi, Soumare and Barnes. 

If they can manage then I'm sure we can make it work with McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, Luiz, Mckennie and Doucoure

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That would be fine by me… either player would be welcome for different reasons…

I don’t see McKennie as a DM, Doucoure totally is, but maybe Dean would prefer to play without such a player and has huge faith in Luiz…

My personal wish list would be Kamara & Kamada. Don’t think that’s going to happen 😆 

I’ve also given up on the dream of De Arrascaeta 😭 and probably Alvarez now too ☹️

I wonder what happened with Alvarez, I really like that kid. Same with DA, but were we ever actually linked with him?

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have a feeling it would be one or the other to be fair.

McKennie first choice ( Less likely ) and Doucoure second?

It could just as well be bollox, and neither. lol

Most likely. Goal.com and Calcimercato are amongst the least reliable sources for transfer news lol.

16 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I wonder what happened with Alvarez, I really like that kid. Same with DA, but were we ever actually linked with him?

If we’re believing the reports, then we were interested in them but that never went beyond enquiries. We didn’t bid for either player. Maybe just working our way down a shortlist…

Hard to know what to believe nowadays. And who/what is a reputable source.

Who knows? Maybe a deal for Alvarez will be finalised before the window shuts… or another Ings type deal that will shock everyone…

Sign McKennie and Doukoure. If we really are serious about pushing up the table then, if they are open to the move, we would be mad not to. We would be able to find clubs for Connor (probably loan) and Marvelous. We need to be ruthless here.

Having said that, either would be most welcome.

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Why is everyone so excited about signing a player that hasn’t impressed in Serie A? 

He hasn't impressed enough to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

He has scored a relatively high number of goals and created a lot of chances considering his position, done a relatively high number of tackles and interceptions, high number of presses and he is good in the air.

He would be a welcomed addition but not our priority in my opinion.  He would be a Hourihane replacement.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Serie A, the notoriously crap league where most of the current Euro 21 champion players who beat England in the final play in.

It’s not a criticism of Serie A so much but more questioning why some on here are so excited by him if, after his first season in a too league, his club (albeit Juve) are looking to sell him. I haven’t seen anything of him, so I’m genuinely asking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJ_1874 said:

He hasn't impressed enough to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

He has scored a relatively high number of goals and created a lot of chances considering his position, done a relatively high number of tackles and interceptions, high number of presses and he is good in the air.

He would be a welcomed addition but not our priority in my opinion.  He would be a Hourihane replacement.

Ok thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

It’s not a criticism of Serie A so much but more questioning why some on here are so excited by him if, after his first season in a too league, his club (albeit Juve) are looking to sell him. I haven’t seen anything of him, so I’m genuinely asking.

a few reasons

first i dont think they ever needed to buy him given their midfield options and he shouldn't have gone there but i can see why he did, they're packed with midfield options with ramsey, rabiot and benatacur yet he still played half their games, he played more than aaron ramsey

secondly with them signing locatelli who instantly is their best midfielder they have to move someone on to balance the books because they've made a mess of their finances, again aaron ramsey if you believe his stupid contract is stuck there for the foreseeable, they will struggle to shift him, so they need to cash in on someone and mckennie ticks that box, doesn't automatically mean that he' a failure or a flop or any of this black or white nonsense, more to it than that

so long story short he's not as good as locatelli, doesnt earn as much as ramsey and juve have money issues, thats why they're selling him

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Juve staff and their fans like him but with getting Locatelli as @villa4europe has eluded too,his minutes will start to wane and the money they can get for him will help them recuperate a little if you will.

As I said earlier in the thread,I follow most of the Americans playing abroad and have especially followed Weston for several years now.

He can score goals,make tackles when needed,and play essentially any midfield position.

Would be an absolutely immense signing and with his age,he will just get better and better.

I don't want him to stunt his growth and stay at Juve barely getting minutes.Would rather him come to a club like ours where he should start most weeks and continue that path to stardom I think he is on.

Come on Villa make it happen.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 2

According to sportbible (taken from the Telegraph) Arsenal are prepared to ship a few out. 

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has reportedly approved that Arsenal look to sell Bernd Leno, Hector Bellerin, Sead Kolasinac, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Lucas Torreira, Willian, Reiss Nelson, Eddie Nketiah and Alexandre Lacazette.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-transfers-arsenal-will-listen-to-transfer-offers-for-ten-players-20210823.amp.html?source=facebook&__twitter_impression=true

Quite like Maitland Niles from the few times I've seen him,  can cover several positions as well.

Edited by markc

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Their fans don’t want to sell him. I think he has impressed hasnt he? 

He's been decent but, they've signed Locatelli in some hair-brained Serie A style transfer (2 year loan with obligation to buy). So I'm going to go ahead and assume they're not exactly flush with cash at the minute. They just need to sell him to balance the books for this year. It's probably no coincidence that the end of the 2 year loan for Locatelli coincides with the expiration of Ramsey's 400k p/w contract.

4 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I reckon De Arrascaeta was an alternative to Buendia. Alvarez seemed to have a lot of interest from various clubs, now that River are out of CopaLib as of last week, maybe something will happen over the next few days?

Regarding McKennie & Doucoure, assuming both adapt well to the PL, the latter would be a younger, potentially major upgrade on Marv for not much money, which we definitely need. McKennie, otoh, would be more like a straight upgrade on John McGinn in terms of his style and strengths. Is that what we need to spend big money on right now vs someone who brings different strengths we lack to the squad? As much as I'd like him here, I'm less sure. 

• Like 1

The Doucoure link is some Villa Twitter account rehashing the old Goal story, not anything new, but him or A.N. Other DM is the priority.

If we did anything in the market after that I’d rather drop £35m on Damsgaard than McKennie - who makes little sense unless JJ and Chuk are both going on loan.