Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed Neil. I have no doubt we could turn a 7-10m profit on him and reinvest that on a better player. I've no doubt that the club will listen to offers for Nakamba, Luiz and El Ghazi provided the money is right. 
If we genuinely want to progress, we can't be sentimental. We need to turn players over who aren't going to make us better and if we can make a profit on them, even better. 

I'd keep Nakamba unless we get a better replacement. If Luiz doesn't sign a new contract then I'd be up for selling him. I'm a big fan of his but as you say we can't be sentimental especially with players in the last two years of contracts.

Luiz is a good passer and from project restart up until the covid breakout at the club he was our second best player after Jack. Since January his overall level has been average. But he's good at making interceptions and those sneaky little tackles by nicking the ball away.

Currently we can get 30-35m for him imo. Naturally I want him to stay.

AEG is the one though that I'd keep regardless. He's a goal scorer and you don't give them up, to get a player with similar output would cost us an arm and a leg. IMO. 

With all three there's no guarantee we'd get better replacements.

Edited by Sulberto21

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'd keep Nakamba unless we get a better replacement. If Luiz doesn't sign a new contract then I'd be up for selling him. I'm a big fan of his but as you say we can't be sentimental especially with players in the last two years of contracts.

Luiz is a good passer and from project restart up until the covid breakout at the club he was our second best player after Jack. Since January his overall level has been average. But he's good at making interceptions and those sneaky little tackles by nicking the ball away.

Currently we can get 30-35m for him imo. Naturally I want him to stay.

AEG is the one though that I'd keep regardless. He's a goal scorer and you don't give them up to get a player with similar output would cost us an arm and a leg. IMO. 

With all three there's no guarantee we'd get better replacements.

That's football though I'm afraid. You absolutely have to look to improve on players every year.
We have a very expensive set up when it comes to recruiting players now and I'd be hugely disappointed, and downright embarrassed, if I were tasked with replacing those 3 with tens of millions of pounds and not able to. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Luiz is the one player I do feel could be a surprise leaver this summer. He is down to his final two years on his contract, and no news of him signing a new one so I wouldn't be surprised if the club maybe cash in this summer while his value is still reasonably high.

I think you're right.

Would be sad to see him leave if that happens but as you say, with only two years remaining on his contract we could be looking to cash in now since Man City have no interest in him returning there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

Yeah I think most teams would share that nightmare if X player in their squad went down with injury. 

But that’s exactly what it is, a nightmare, worst case scenario. I know how much you value the striker position - but when you measure risk it’s impact * probability.

You then weigh up the costs of the various types of remediation and how much they reduce the risk (cheaper striker or more expensive striker) vs how much it will cost to remediate other risks (players in other positions) or generally improve the team.

I agree it would be bad, but Watkins going down isn’t even the biggest risk - Jack going down is worse, and arguably Emi as well. Buendia may end up in that category too. If we lost Konsa and Mings that would also be a disaster. But we can’t afford to strengthen all of those positions with 1st team quality instead of other positions we are comparatively weak in.

In regards to Tammy, I don’t think it’s good risk management strategy to break our transfer record on a player who can’t play with the player we already have who is one of the best English strikers in football. It’s the same reason spending £40M on a backup keeper to Martinez is bad business. It would potentially be a different story if Tammy could play multiple positions, but he can’t, and even then it’s a subjective debate on whether that’s the best approach when considering other areas of weakness.

Yeah but as I’ve said before, injury to Watkins is only one of many reasons why we should buy another top striker.  People keep focusing on one thing and I’d almost agree on some but when you add up all the reasons, to me, it overwhelming suggests we need to do it.  But people are trying to knock my total argument looking at one reason at a time rather the multiple reasons as a whole.

12 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Carney is tall, athletic, and has excellent technique. As he fills out and get stronger and if he works hard on his fitness and gain experience he will go from strength to strength.

Massive talent, just needs to make sure he works hard enough to do his talent justice. The greater the talent the more work is needed to develop it. Literally anything can happen with him. He could be a better version of Bellingham, or end up like the Moore brothers.

Agree with everything you say but if his talent trajectory continue I see him as being as good as Pogba potentially.

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but as I’ve said before, injury to Watkins is only one of many reasons why we should buy another top striker.  People keep focusing on one thing and I’d almost agree on some but when you add up all the reasons, to me, it overwhelming suggests we need to do it.  But people are trying to knock my total argument looking at one reason at a time rather the multiple reasons as a whole.

Who do Liverpool replace Salah with if gets injured? You're talking pipe dream signings based on hypothetical injuries. No club is run like that especially under FFP besides the fact Smith and Purslow have waxed lyrically about the difficulty of making signings, there's 4 parties to agree before it has legs. You seem to be living in some computer game football manager world where signings are so easy

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We were linked with Winks last window. It was BS then and still is now

It isn't. Or at least it wasn't. 

It might be that this has resurfaced now because of a previous link, but the original one was legit. 

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Tonight Show Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Do I strike you as a man who gives a **** whether you believe me or not? But fwiw this is one of about 3 times in my entire life I have been 'ITK'. Through sheer dumb luck this time. 

I don't think he's much cop myself, but there are plenty of Spurs fans who do, and claim he has been mismanaged. 25 years old, 10 England caps, might be an interesting reclamation project.

I wouldn't exactly be delighted if he came in as 'the main dude', but if he was to replace somebody moving on as a secondary piece, then I'm down with it. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Who do Liverpool replace Salah with if gets injured? You're talking pipe dream signings based on hypothetical injuries. No club is run like that especially under FFP besides the fact Smith and Purslow have waxed lyrically about the difficulty of making signings, there's 4 parties to agree before it has legs. You seem to be living in some computer game football manager world where signings are so easy

Liverpool have Mane, Salah, Firminio, Jota and Origi to play across the front three.  We play more with very advanced midfielders in those forward positions in Jack and Buendia whereas Liverpool have forward players play in forward positions.

Again you are focusing on just the injury as I’ve said on the last page and throughout this thread is one of many reasons to buy him.  Injury scares me but there are many reasons 

No club?  Most top 8 clubs have a number of top notch forward players, you are being disingenuous with.  Even just yesterday Leicester signed Daka to go with Vardy and Ineanacho.

You seem to be living in the 1980’s with a 14 man squad than the modern day when Top 8 teams have squad of quality options and 2 quality options in each position.  We are behind so are catching up.  We have Ollie only with Wes unknown and Davis out of favour (I know you love to throw in Traore but we disagree on that - for a separate debate that we’ve had before).

Winks looked tidy when he was coming through, he'd be like a poor man's JWP without the set piece ability and is probably on our short list.

He has represented England all through from under 17 and on to 10 full caps for England. So he should have good ability but for some reason he has gone backwards, I think he was on a good trajectory under Poch but Jose didn't fancy him and after new signings he slipped down the ranks.

He wouldn't be on my list, I always found him tidy in unspectacular but if Deano sees something in him, something that our coaching could improve and a player that would improve our squad then Id be behind it.

To be clear, the ITK I have on Winks is of *previous* interest, as in prior to this summer. I have no idea whether that interest has extended and I don't really have further details beyond that. 

I knew about it in early May. 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think you're right.

Would be sad to see him leave if that happens but as you say, with only two years remaining on his contract we could be looking to cash in now since Man City have no interest in him returning there.

Declan Rice has refused a new contract and asked to be told of any offers this summer. Obviously he’ll be looking for UCL preferably, but I wonder what his price is?