Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

25 minutes ago, John said:

Games do not get much tougher than this one. We travel to second placed Manchester City tomorrow evening and they will go top of the league if they beat us. They have won their last five league games, have gone unbeaten in their last nine and have kept a clean sheet in seven of those last nine league games. Our first team have not played since they lost to the current league leaders on 2nd January, having since been isolating due to a covid outbreak at the club. Whilst they have been on an impressive winning run and looking increasingly like potential league champions, we have not even been training. Everything points to a comfortable home win then. We do not know how strong a team we will be able to put out and we don't know how match fit those players will be. Given that, an away defeat that does not have too negative an impact on our healthy goal difference, would not seem a bad outcome. We have travelled to other away grounds already this season, that we have not fared too well at in the past though and we have returned from them with all of the points. Who knows, we might do the same or take a point tomorrow, no matter how unlikely that might seem, in the current circumstances. 

We find ourselves in the bottom half of the table after Arsenal's win last night. We are only a point behind the North London club, with a significantly superior goal difference and having played four less games than they have. We have played between two and four games, less than all of the rest of the teams in the PL, so hopefully our stay in the bottom half, will be a short one. A win tomorrow would take us up to seventh place and a draw would see us move back into tenth. Our last league win at Manchester City was in 2007 and we have lost on our subsequent ten visits there, on the last eight occasions having conceded a minimum of three goals, when doing so. Overall, we have won 52 and have drawn 39, of the 156 league games that there have been between the two clubs. 

Our hosts have done just enough to win some games comfortably of late. They have recently beaten Brighton 1-0 and Newcastle 2-0, at home for example. Will they approach this game in a similar way, or will they aim to reach the top by trying to put a few goals past us again? I expect a very tough game, but I doubt that they will be taking this season's Aston Villa too lightly. We have become a very hard nut to crack away from home this season and hopefully our recent isolation, will not have had too negative an impact on our players. A draw would be a terrific result and a win would be amazing in the circumstances. Just go up there and do your best for us Villa, we will be right behind you (as hopefully, Arsenal will also be tomorrow night). :flag:         

to quote one of my cricket clubs all time great quotes from another player' vs top of the league years ago...

"i'll cut my nob off if we win!"

You can guess what happened...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

It doesn't mean they are all at the same level of fitness required to start a Premier League game. Smith has already said they are at different stages and that makes total sense.

The first 11 tomorrow will be very interesting. 

From the pictures seems most of them were involved in ball keeping drills which requires a good bit of intensity compared to lightly jogging around the pitch so despite my lack of medical expertise (which hasn't stopped 99% of U.K population becoming sudden experts on respiratory illness in last year) I'd say we're in a much better place than Newcastle who obviously had Lascelles and Saint Maximn struggling to get up  the stairs without losing a bit of breath so obviousl long covid symptoms.

And as said elsewhere we wouldn't be on verge of loaning out Conor if our first choice midfield wasn't capable of starting over next 7 days.

I think we're in a decent place. 11/1 is still on offer.....😉

• Like 1

Hard to be optimisitc when they haven't trained for two weeks, City are on a very good run and playing very well. We're starting from cold and they are right on it and have a squad that cost more than the GDP of most countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

From the pictures seems most of them were involved in ball keeping drills which requires a good bit of intensity compared to lightly jogging around the pitch so despite my lack of medical expertise (which hasn't stopped 99% of U.K population becoming sudden experts on respiratory illness in last year) I'd say we're in a much better place than Newcastle who obviously had Lascelles and Saint Maximn struggling to get up  the stairs without losing a bit of breath so obviousl long covid symptoms.

And as said elsewhere we wouldn't be on verge of loaning out Conor if our first choice midfield wasn't capable of starting over next 7 days.

I think we're in a decent place. 11/1 is still on offer.....😉

1CF72DA8-EC3A-4481-8706-D33C6AEC0A23.png

52 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Hard to be optimisitc when they haven't trained for two weeks, City are on a very good run and playing very well. We're starting from cold and they are right on it and have a squad that cost more than the GDP of most countries.

Why do people keep quoting this GDP thing. Is it even right? I'd imagine most countries GDP is more than their squad value. Not having a go at you romavillan, just seen it quoted on this thread a few times and wonder where its come from.

It's easier to be optimistic when you consider they dont win about 40% of their games and couldn't beat west brom, west ham, leeds etc.

20 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Why do people keep quoting this GDP thing. Is it even right? I'd imagine most countries GDP is more than their squad value. Not having a go at you romavillan, just seen it quoted on this thread a few times and wonder where its come from.

It's just a common phrase in the English lexicon. However, the GDP of a small nation like say, Antigua, is about 1.2 billion pounds. Man City have definitely spent that, and more, so they literally have spent the GDP of a small nation.

• Like 2

Lawro and his guest are both predicting 3-0 but Sky's predictor (the Jones Knows guy) has gone for 1-1! Well, what a contrast. He loves us, always singing our praises, good lad! :) I think he's being a bit over optimistic about our chances here though. 

Edited by robby b

6 minutes ago, robby b said:

Lawro and his guest are both predicting 3-0 but Sky's predictor (the Jones Knows guy) has gone for 1-1! Well, what a contrast. He loves us, always singing our praises, good lad! :) I think he's being a bit over optimistic about our chances here though. 

To be fair a 3-0 City win is a realistic prediction.

I'd be over the moon with a draw

• Like 2