Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

13 hours ago, One For The Road said:

A full strength Man City on form would beat a full strength Villa on form without question. We are still building. They have spent billions.

Maybe, but football is not stats and maths.

Maybe De Bruyne pulls a muscle in 7th minute. Maybe Traore scores a free kick. Maybe the ref gives Foden a 2nd yellow for a dive.

A full strength Villa has a good chance against anyone, and the better we are the less "help" we need.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe, but football is not stats and maths.

Maybe De Bruyne pulls a muscle in 7th minute. Maybe Traore scores a free kick. Maybe the ref gives Golden a 2nd yellow for a dive.

A full strength Villa has a good chance against anyone, and the better we are the less "help" we need.

If we are going to base pre match predictions around "maybe one of their star players pulls a muscle in the 7th minute", then there isn't much point in a discussion really. 

16 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

If we are going to base pre match predictions around "maybe one of their star players pulls a muscle in the 7th minute", then there isn't much point in a discussion really. 

True, but if we are gonna base our predictions on who has a more expensive team then what's the point of even playing the game.

Have some faith, we can do them :)

Just scoring a goal would be impressive.

Man. City conceded 3 goals in ther last 14 league and cup games.

We've also scored grand total of 4 goals on our last 10 visits. Think our record at Old Trafford is actually marginally better since 2007 than Etihad which gives you a clue of how bad we are up there year in year out.

I’ll be happy just seeing the lads playing football again. Obviously any kind of positive result would be amazing, but I’ll not be too despondent if we lose. In some ways, it’s better to have a game we’re expected to lose for our first one back. No one is expecting us to win. But we all know this team is capable when on form. It remains to be seen what state they’re in though. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

True, but if we are gonna base our predictions on who has a more expensive team then what's the point of even playing the game.

Have some faith, we can do them :)

In normal circumstances, as I've stated before, I think there would be a chance we could. A slim one, but a chance nevertheless. 

In the current circumstances however,  I will be happy to get away with anything less than 3-0. 

"Have faith"? I can't just believe something when the evidence doesn't support it and this game has loss written all over it, as it does every single year we go there, but especially this year, with our covid hit, under trained side playing the in form side in the league.

I'm actually a bit astonished at how some people are playing down the impact of almost our entire first team being out with covid.

This game will be about building match fitness. Nothing more.

Edited by One For The Road

35 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ll be happy just seeing the lads playing football again. Obviously any kind of positive result would be amazing, but I’ll not be too despondent if we lose. In some ways, it’s better to have a game we’re expected to lose for our first one back. No one is expecting us to win. But we all know this team is capable when on form. It remains to be seen what state they’re in though. 

Yep, would be happy with similar performance to Chelsea and Man. United games. We didn't win either but were on top for decent chunks of both.

Newcastle is the game we need to peak for, 3 points from that and table will start looking interesting again as not playing that when we should've means we're a few places lower than we should be but got to go and get the 3 points off them to prove it.

Whenever I see the posts in seperate threads I keep on thinking @It's Your Round and @One For The Road are the same poster so bit of twlight zone seeing the two posts above! Perhaps not brothers but I take it you both enjoy the odd beverage!:lol:

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

In normal circumstances, as I've stated before, I think there would be a chance we could. A slim one, but a chance nevertheless. 

In the current circumstances however,  I will be happy to get away with anything less than 3-0. 

"Have faith"? I can't just believe something when the evidence doesn't support it and this game has loss written all over it, as it does every single year we go there, but especially this year, with our covid hit, under trained side playing the in form side in the league.

I'm actually a bit astonished at how some people are playing down the impact of almost our entire first team being out with covid.

This game will be about building match fitness. Nothing more.

Surely therefore we would have had an even slimmer chance against Liverpool this season, and a very slim chance against Leicester, what with them both being higher than Man City?

If we'd been able to play that game against Newcastle, and beat them, we'd literally be going to Man City on Wednesday with the aim to go above them in the league. I dont see this vast gulf you talk about this season. Any other season in recent years I'd agree. We couldn't be more different a side now.

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

Surely therefore we would have had an even slimmer chance against Liverpool this season, and a very slim chance against Leicester, what with them both being higher than Man City

Yes thats correct. And had eituer been full strength we would have had a slim chance of winning. 

Leicester had about 5 key players out and Liverpool were missing Mane, their best attacking player, and their goalkeeper, whose understudy cost them the first goal and had a poor game.

You obviously haven't been following the thread. My initial point was that to win at a full strength Man City, we would need to be at full strength and on top form. We will be neither.

So your point about beating understrength Liverpool and Leicester when we were full strength makes no sense in this context.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Whenever I see the posts in seperate threads I keep on thinking @It's Your Round and @One For The Road are the same poster so bit of twlight zone seeing the two posts above! Perhaps not brothers but I take it you both enjoy the odd beverage!:lol:

I'm not sure what that means but I'm living in Indonesia recovering from covid and haven't drank any alcohol in over a month. What did you mean by that last part?

4 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I'm not sure what that means but I'm living in Indonesia recovering from covid and haven't drank any alcohol in over a month. What did you mean by that last part?

I think he just meant that you both have alcohol related user names and he gets you mixed up. 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I originally chose that username as a tribute to the Paul McGrath song but I really should change it now. I’ve been alcohol free for a whole year on Tuesday! I enjoyed more than the odd beverage prior to that. 

I might keep it though, it’ll be nice to hear Villa Park chanting my username when we’re allowed back in :D

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I originally chose that username as a tribute to the Paul McGrath song but I really should change it now. I’ve been alcohol free for a whole year on Tuesday! I enjoyed more than the odd beverage prior to that. 

I might keep it though, it’ll be nice to hear Villa Park chanting my username when we’re allowed back in :D

And my username is actually a play on the name of the travel company I run so it seems neither of us are p*** heads after all! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

And my username is actually a play on the name of the travel company I run so it seems neither of us are p*** heads after all! :)

You take people on trips pissed up?

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 23:52, Kingman said:

16/1 on offer!.. Would you bet against us?.. 🤑

Best we can find now is 12/1 for the outright win which is still stupidly high odds for us this season imo. Definately worth a 10er of anyone's money.

Even the draw (generally 11/2 most places) is not bad.

Also the handicap of Villa +2 goal lead with the best price generally @ EVS with most firms is another eye catcher.

Some good value to be had in this one.

Fun and betting aside, I still think we retain a good chance going into this game and fancy us to grab atleast a point against them.

• Like 1