Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

I can't make up my mind on whether I want this or not given we're somewhat free rolling this game, so I'll ask y'all: How valuable could it be to us in the long term for Luiz to have a substantially below average game tonight in front of Pep?  Wouldn't he be less likely to forget a woeful performance he saw in person, especially given he'll want Luiz to be at at best against high level CL opposition such as his? Even with all the data to look, at the end of the day people's lived experience tends to influence their decision making. 

12 minutes ago, IrishVillain said:

I can't make up my mind on whether I want this or not given we're somewhat free rolling this game, so I'll ask y'all: How valuable could it be to us in the long term for Luiz to have a substantially below average game tonight in front of Pep?  Wouldn't he be less likely to forget a woeful performance he saw in person, especially given he'll want Luiz to be at at best against high level CL opposition such as his? Even with all the data to look, at the end of the day people's lived experience tends to influence their decision making. 

I’d be surprised if peps decision are swayed by how players play against city. Sounds like the sort of thing we used to do.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Hope we turn up. Got a proper shit week. Stuck on a very physically demanding job, working 13 hours a day, got stomach pains and wonder if it's covid or hernia. Have to live at a corona facility as well.

Please turn up or I might top myself.

Never mind the Villa mate. Call your GP and see them about your stomach pains. Far more important.

• Like 1

A month ago or so I'd have been right up for this but City have turned a corner now and look serious.

Scoring a goal against these would be pretty good going because Ederson, Stones and especially Dias have been outrageously good. Hopefully Covid hasn't taken too much out of us and we can give a good showing like we have all season but I'm gonna say 2-0 City.  

• Like 2

I’ve absolutely no expectations or real hope on this one, I’d be delighted with a point but can’t see it. If we somehow beat them though with our games in hand a lot of attention would come our way. 

A point tonight then three on Saturday would be perfect.

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Cant see any possible way we win this but theres always a freak result every season

A Villa win (while I agree is unlikely) would no longer be a 'freak result'. Not this season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I'd rather be away to Man City after a covid outbreak and combine 2 likely defeats into 1, than be away to say Sheffield United after covid and risk a fatigue-inspired defeat and still have to face Man City away some other time.

I thoughts this, get a game under our belt before next 2 which are very winable

I think the starting line up this evening will be based on who has had the virus and who has trained most. 

Probably a few who have suffered badly but from what I've seen of training vids most are now back at training.

If all are fit I'd go with:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

El Ghazi McGinn Barkley Jack

Watkins

57 minutes ago, Farlz said:

A month ago or so I'd have been right up for this but City have turned a corner now and look serious.

Scoring a goal against these would be pretty good going because Ederson, Stones and especially Dias have been outrageously good. Hopefully Covid hasn't taken too much out of us and we can give a good showing like we have all season but I'm gonna say 2-0 City.  

Ruben Dias....what a signing.

23 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think the starting line up this evening will be based on who has had the virus and who has trained most. 

Probably a few who have suffered badly but from what I've seen of training vids most are now back at training.

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

Watkins

nearly there for me.......4-2-3-1 with McGinn alongside Luiz...too much for luiz on his own.

Traore for Barkley if he's not fit.....played centrally.

I would be really happy, with a point.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

Watkins

There is absolutely no way that's going to be the starting line up. 

Would be very happy with a point.  Will be very interesting to see whether the enforced break has helped some vs the fatigue that others who've had covid will surely feel. 

I think the last 20 mins will be very tough.  Come out strong to start, see if we can snatch a lead, then nailbiting to the end.