Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Just checked and it's only 10/1 on Bet365 so seems to have come down, 6/1 to draw looks quite decent value as plenty of sides understrengthed and low on energy have fought and got draws from difficult away games.

We are longer odds to draw than Fulham are to beat Man. United at home given Fulham will be missing key players through suspension and Man. United now haven't lost an away game in the league for over a year, Fulham are 19/4 to win that. Covid ravaged Newcastle are only 7/1 to win at Arsenal tomorrow.

Scrolling down and Sheffield United are 5/1 to get a draw at Man. United next Wednesday.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just checked and it's only 10/1 on Bet365 so seems to have come down, 6/1 to draw looks quite decent value as plenty of sides understrengthed and low on energy have fought and got draws from difficult away games.

We are longer odds to draw than Fulham are to beat Man. United at home given Fulham will be missing key players through suspension and Man. United now haven't lost an away game in the league for over a year, Fulham are 19/4 to win that. Covid ravaged Newcastle are only 7/1 to win at Arsenal tomorrow.

Scrolling down and Sheffield United are 5/1 to get a draw at Man. United next Wednesday.

In addition there is a met office amber weather warning for Manchester on Wednesday. Its going to very wet and rain usually means less goals scored.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

None of those sides are:

A, away to the current best team in the country 

Or, far more importantly,

B, going into the game after 9 first team players have had covid and not trained for 2 weeks.

I am generally fit and healthy and haven't been able to even go for a long walk since I recovered from covid several weeks ago. Now if it were 2 or 3 players then fair enough, but practically our entire first team? 

This is being so downplayed by some fans it's bordering on ignorance.

Edited by One For The Road

10 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

This evening's 4v0 win over Palace seems to blow your comment.

Not saying we're going to get anything from this game, but to be fair, two of those goals came from corners and the other two were world-class, unstoppable strikes. It's not like they incisively destroyed their backline and passed it into the net four times.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Watched the first half of the Palace game. City play a very high line, like Liverpool. Opportunity on the break if they don't foul us constantly. 

I'm quite annoyed that we arent going to play them at full strength/fitness. We havent given them a game for years.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I'm quite annoyed that we arent going to play them at full strength/fitness. We havent given them a game for years.

Another way to look at it, whilst I agree with your point, is that it's a bit of a free hit anyway. Rather play this one in recovery than Wolves or Baggies for example. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Another way to look at it, whilst I agree with your point, is that it's a bit of a free hit anyway. Rather play this one in recovery than Wolves or Baggies for example. 

Ye no that's fine, it is best that this is the fixture if we are to sacrifice one on the road to recovery. It is the team though in my mind that we have given least problems to in recent years. We always seem to be behind to them at half time, and they just cruise the second half. Last win was the Weimann goal at Villa Park?

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Ye no that's fine, it is best that this is the fixture if we are to sacrifice one on the road to recovery. It is the team though in my mind that we have given least problems to in recent years. We always seem to be behind to them at half time, and they just cruise the second half. Last win was the Weimann goal at Villa Park?

We were 0-0 there last season at HT and then got robbed by a more obvious offside keeper obstruction than McGinn at Arsenal, just a minute into the 2nd half. Sterling IIRC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Watched the first half of the Palace game. City play a very high line, like Liverpool. Opportunity on the break if they don't foul us constantly. 

True, but I think Villa won't sit back and we will try to play an open game unlike many other teams facing the top sides.

9 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We were 0-0 there last season at HT and then got robbed by a more obvious offside keeper obstruction than McGinn at Arsenal, just a minute into the 2nd half. Sterling IIRC.

Ye I remember that now. Either way it's an appalling record at the Etihad in the league. Would be interested to know aggregate score of our last 10 visits for example. Last time I went there was a 5-0 defeat 6 or 7 years ago, team with Bannan in it I remember. Worst away game I've been to, was in the second row and it pissed it down all game and got soaked. What made it worse was some nutty kid in the front row would turn around each time they scored and try and smash up his seat. Truly grim game. Oh and to add to it the City fans not really celebrating each time they scored. Was more a someone dropping a pint glass in a pub type of cheer. Cant blame them though they were scoring boat loads back then.

7 hours ago, One For The Road said:

None of those sides are:

A, away to the current best team in the country 

Or, far more importantly,

B, going into the game after 9 first team players have had covid and not trained for 2 weeks.

I am generally fit and healthy and haven't been able to even go for a long walk since I recovered from covid several weeks ago. Now if it were 2 or 3 players then fair enough, but practically our entire first team? 

This is being so downplayed by some fans it's bordering on ignorance.

And Cit£h won comfortably at Chelsea just a couple of days after their training ground was closed and with a number of players missing.

Of course they have a stronger squad than us, but the simple fact is no one knows what effect this virus has had on the squad. I would like to think the majority of the first team have come back fine and are ready to play otherwise we wouldn't have agreed to play this game (admittedly, we're not the ones who decide, but it seems like we haven't thrown up much of a fuss to play it).

Personally I'm ok if we lose this game but I always want to see us compete, we haven't played for a little while so sharpness might be an issue but the players will be very well rested after a hectic Christmas period. 

We just need to make sure we beat the likes of Newcastle and Burnley as those are games we shouldn't be dropping points in given the strength of our team this season.

• Like 1

We're gonna win if we're brave unlike Palace who crapped themselves everytime they went forward.

The obvious thing is the referee and whether they support City. Yesterday one of the city players slipped and actually fouled the Palace player and yet he's the one that got a free kick. The refereeing is a disgrace and the big teams always get the decisions.

VAR - I believe if it's here to stay then the captain of the team the decision has been made against should be able to accompany the referee or even both captains and point out why he thinks the decision shouldn't go against them. 

Newcastle were punished for the Sheffield United player holding the defender's shirt. Pogba had his forearm in Luiz's neck and got a penalty. Sabertooth stamped on Konsa and got a penalty..... The Arsenal game last season is another where we got absolutely robbed by VAR officials who look for what they want to see. Palace away as well.

Can't see anything other than a regulation heavy defeat here. Our results against Manchester City are about as predictable as night following day. But hey ho, that's just how life is right now and we have to suck the mop and take what happens with good grace. 

I'm more concerned about 'long Covid' with some of our players. We could still end up being relegated (statistically right now and hypothetical before you all start wetting your knickers and throwing knives). 

Regardless of the result, it's still very much 'Smith In' and claret and blue love all around B6. Up The Villa... (let's hope we can avoid a drubbing that was suffered by the ladies). 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

Ye I remember that now. Either way it's an appalling record at the Etihad in the league. Would be interested to know aggregate score of our last 10 visits for example. Last time I went there was a 5-0 defeat 6 or 7 years ago, team with Bannan in it I remember. Worst away game I've been to, was in the second row and it pissed it down all game and got soaked. What made it worse was some nutty kid in the front row would turn around each time they scored and try and smash up his seat. Truly grim game. Oh and to add to it the City fans not really celebrating each time they scored. Was more a someone dropping a pint glass in a pub type of cheer. Cant blame them though they were scoring boat loads back then.

In answer to your question, the last 10 visits are:

In the PL It's 33 - 4

All games it's 35 - 8

Abysmal record which you can see here

As much as we have improved this season i can't see us getting anything. I will be delighted with a draw.

11 minutes ago, imavillan said:

In answer to your question, the last 10 visits are:

In the PL It's 33 - 4

All games it's 35 - 8

Abysmal record which you can see here

As much as we have improved this season i can't see us getting anything. I will be delighted with a draw.

Ha. I guessed in my head 35 - 5. You're right, it's horrible. Just complete non events most of the games.